Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

You have a good background. I would continue with the process. LAFD will hire you without your FF1. You can also tell them that you live up in Nor Cal and they might accommodate you with the initial background after your interview if you do well.

Forum Member

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Last edited by dalmation795; 08-26-2009 at 09:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JulianNorCal View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was, of all those certifications, education, experience, etc. does the department seem to choose persons with any particular one of those criteria more commonly?

I'm just wondering if it is worth it to keep on going through all the hiring process because I have to make the drive from Chico to LA to do all the steps and I don't have my FF1 yet. I'll have a B.S. in Public Administration by the end of May and 1.5 year of volunteer experience by May also. I have alot of certs like NREMT, Rescue Systems 1, SFM Auto Ex., Hazmat Fro and Decon, Confined Space Tech, Low Angle, Water Tech 1,Cal Fire 67, ICS 300 and some others. I don't have my FF1 and was wondering if that will hold me back alot?? I'd really like to work with LA City but just wondering what you all think if I realistically have a chance of getting picked up without my FF1?
    I have a BS in Business Administration, 2 classes away from an AA in Fire Science and my NREMT and I did not have any problems going through the process. I don't have any direct fire related experience, but I think it is more about being able to take whatever experiences you do have and apply them to how it will benefit the LAFD. If you go to the pre-interview seminar they have, they will explain this. I worked for an electronics store in college and work as an accountant now and they helped me come up with a strategy for bridging the cap from this to the fire department. Good luck.

Default Interview Status

Does anyone know if you can possible receive a background packet in the mail? I felt like my interview went very well but they just took the card after the interview & that was it. I have heard that you receive a packet if you pass right away. But I wondered if anyone received a packet later.

thanks

Forum Member

Quick question for people who have gone/are going through the latter stages of the process...

How long did it take for you to get it assigned a BI? Its been exactly 4 months for me since I had my background interview and test and just wondering if this time frame is normal?

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Default interview help

Whats up everyone, first time poster here... I have my interview scheduled for March 18th and I'm pretty excited and nervous. Whats funny to me is I never got my written test scores mailed to me and every time I called nobody picked up. i took the written January 24th and took and passed my CPAT that same evening. I thought it was a waiting game for them to contact me but I figured a 4 weeks was way too long for scores not to be given out so i finally got through and found out I passed and they needed my CPAT to proceed. This could've been taken care of weeks ago and I probably could've interviewed by now lol. But o well it is what it is and my interview is scheduled for March 18th. Any advice or sample questions that were asked would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing nothing but research since I got the letter. I have a mock interview this weekend on the 8th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 21percent View Post
    Quick question for people who have gone/are going through the latter stages of the process...

How long did it take for you to get it assigned a BI? Its been exactly 4 months for me since I had my background interview and test and just wondering if this time frame is normal?

Thanks in advance
    Hmmm well lets see.. I had my bg test on 7/24/08 and got the letter saying I passed initial panel and would receive my BI on 9/9/08. So it took only 6 weeks. I have heard of others where it took months. I would probably call if I were you since its been so long just to see what they say. Maybe they are holding off on you for some reason. Calling after 4 months I would say is reasonable though. Hope this helps and good luck.

Forum Member

Default Inital Panel

I am currently in the 4th week of the Final Review panel.

My initial panel took a while also:

I interviewed in August and went in for the background interview (the packet turn in part) on September 4th.

I received a letter from personnel dept on Nov 11th telling me that I will be contacted by a Background investigator within 30 days. So it took me about 10 weeks to hear back.

I was contacted by my B.I. on Nov 24th and that began the Background investigation phase.

I received a letter on Jan 29th that my backgrounds were complete and I am in the Final Review panel, which would take 4-6 weeks.

Which is where I am now. Hope this helps. There is a lot of good info here and helpful people, I wish I found this forum sooner. Feel free to PM me, I will update you all on my status.

Forum Member

Exclamation Interview on March 18th

Whats up everyone, 1st time poster glad I found this website. So heres what happened to me. I took the written test on January 24th and passed my CPAT that same night. I assumed LA City would send my test score to me and let me know what I need to do as far as giving them CPAT scores. Well 3 weeks pass and I dont hear anything so I sart calling but no 1 ever picks up. I finally ge through 4 weeks after my written test date and find out I passed and they need me to fax my CPAT score. This could have been done weeks ago! lol I couldv'e been had my interview but o well it is what it is. I still haven't reveived my official test score yet. But anyways any advice or quetions that were asked would be very helpful. All I've been doing is research, and I have a mock this weekend on the 8th. Again any advice please send it my way maybe an example question and good answer that were actually asked to anybody that has been interviewed and scored high. Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Default Bg

Hey guys,

seems like there's a lot of knowledge here an would love some help.

I have passed my written and am moving on the the Oral, and am trying to prepare for the BG ahead of time.

I have lived in four diff states and have had many addresses, most of which I can remember.

ques one....there are places I lived in between places, stay at my parents, a friends place while I looked for my own apt, ....do I need to references places I wasn't on the lease or didn't stay for more than a couple months? didn't have an bills there.

Ques two....I have two places where I lived (in other states, years ago) that I can't seem to tract down the landlord, I have tried every ave, but can only remember the name steve! Is that a real problem?
    also if I paid a managment company to I just list that if I had no contact with the owner?

also, I had a minor bench warrant in seattle about a decade ago, when I found out I turned myself into voluntary surrender, I called and they said they don't have a record of that!, but I was on house arrest for a week for it! (I steped up to the plate and handled the issue on my own) but if they say theres no record, should mention it, I don't want to lie but if it's not there I don't want to incriminate myself.

thanks for your help, trying to prepare, prepare prepare.

I'm also doing an FBI check on myself just so I see what the BG investigator sees

Forum Member

Default Bi

Hey guys, there seems to be a lot of people here with good knowledge.

I'm having trouble with a couple things I could use some help on.

As far as the Back Ground Check is concerned.

I have lived in four states, there are a couple of addresses of previous residences I have found for years and years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember the landlords names, and definitely don't have their phone numbers, I would be happy if the investigator found out this information but I simply have gone through every possible ave to find out the info without success, .......is this really an issue? on that subject, if there are places I lived for a VERY short time, like 2-3 months while in transition, no lease, no utility bills, do I have to list that in my form?

2.....I had an arrrest and some traffic issues, 10 years ago in washington state, (misdemeanor) when i called, they said they have no record of me, they have my name but no criminal record, but I was under house arrest!, I know it happened, I cleared it all up honestly, but they say they've got nada.....do I put the info down on the BG questionaire? I don't want to incriminate myself, but don't want to be dishonest.

and last.

my mother divorced my step father 15 years ago, when I was 16. He's not an american citizen and has been living back home in italy for the last 15-16 years, do I have to put him down as my stepfather? or since they are divorced is he not considered my stepfather.

thanks for the help

Forum Member

Default Timeline Continued

Quote Originally Posted by jac629 View Post
    I received my letter yesterday (2-04-09) that I made it through the Initial Panel Review and I will be contacted by a background investigator within 30 days!

I took my written on Oct 18.
    Did an interview workshop in Oct.
    Mock oral on Nov 15th
    Oral Dec 1, (got a BG Packet!!!) They said I would get my official score 6/8 weeks by mail.
    Have my BG interview Dec 18th.
    Oral Interview Score Letter Jan 15th - score 100
    Passed Initial Panel Review sometime in Jan
    Background Investigator Letter Feb 4th
    I was contacted by my BGI on Feb 25th
    BGI interview Mar 03rd

(BGI said it would be 30-45 days until I heard further) so if all goes well I will be on track for the July academy. The April academy is def. canceled.
    Last edited by jac629; 03-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Default Background Packets

Does anyone know if they LA City sends Background Packets out after the interview? I had my interview and felt like it went really well but did not receive a BGP. I know that most the people I talk to received the packet right after the interview. However, on the LA City Website it states that your results will be mailed. I just wondered if anyone did receive a packet in the mail... thanks

Default Background Packets

Does anyone know if they LA City sends Background Packets out after the interview? I had my interview and felt like it went really well but did not receive a BGP. I know that most the people I talk to received the packet right after the interview. However, on the LA City Website it states that your results will be mailed. I just wondered if anyone did receive a packet in the mail... thanks

Forum Member

Psych division called me today.. asked a couple questions then stated they were clearing me. Haven't heard back from the medical test but she stated that if I haven't gotten a call by now I passed. I wasn't worried about the medical anyways though. So now I am just waiting for a letter stating the academy date, etc. She said the letter could come anytime between now and May though. Going to feel like forever.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Psych division called me today.. asked a couple questions then stated they were clearing me. Haven't heard back from the medical test but she stated that if I haven't gotten a call by now I passed. I wasn't worried about the medical anyways though. So now I am just waiting for a letter stating the academy date, etc. She said the letter could come anytime between now and May though. Going to feel like forever.
    Congrats, I am going to be up there on Monday for med/psych. That was a pretty fast turn around to get the results.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cpat

I am scheduling my CPAT through the CFFJAC website. Is that the testing site most of you used?

Can anyone tell me when LAFD will ask to see the CPAT cert? Is it the ticket to get in the written test? From what I have gathered from the LAFD website, I cannot apply unless I have that cert, correct? Thank you, in advance!

Forum Member

Well I'm scheduled for the written on March 14.

Based on some of the experiences posted here I'm probably going to wait on going through the rest of the process now. I don't have any fire experience, or AA in fire science, volunteer ff work, or even the EMT cert yet. I'm still working on my bachelors which is in another field that is totally unrelated. It seems there would be no chance I'd get hired right now so it seems best that I wait until I finish at least some of that stuff before trying this process.

If you cancel/postpone your test date is that frowned upon? I saw it posted that once you pass it you never have to take it again so I may just go ahead and get it out the way for now. It looks super easy based on the info they had posted on their website.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgobba View Post
    Congrats, I am going to be up there on Monday for med/psych. That was a pretty fast turn around to get the results.
    I think its always that fast.. but if you don't get a call.. its actually better then if you do. They will pass you and not tell you for awhile or they will call you within like 2 weeks and schedule some kind of psych appointment. Luckily mine was over the phone so I didn't have to drive to LA. She just had to clarify two questions then said I was passed. Good luck on Monday.. bring food! Its a long long day.
    Last edited by sl2rpm; 03-05-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    I am scheduling my CPAT through the CFFJAC website. Is that the testing site most of you used?

Can anyone tell me when LAFD will ask to see the CPAT cert? Is it the ticket to get in the written test? From what I have gathered from the LAFD website, I cannot apply unless I have that cert, correct? Thank you, in advance!
    Yes if it is still the same as when I applied, you need your CPAT to apply. CFFJAC is the one I used.. facility in Orange, CA. Not sure how many other places actually do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Yes if it is still the same as when I applied, you need your CPAT to apply. CFFJAC is the one I used.. facility in Orange, CA. Not sure how many other places actually do it.
    Thanks, brother.

Forum Member

anyone that had the initial background interview on the 22 of Jan. heard anything yet????

Forum Member

Wink initial backround interview

hey guys i had my initial back round interview yesterday. the one where you fill out the 126 questions or so. pretty straight forward. i hope the initial panel review goes ok. sounds like to me if your moving throught the process correctly then everything should go pretty quick. 1-2 months between all the steps. does this sound about right to everyone else?

thanks to those that helped me out with some questions i had rescently. hopefully i make it to the actual backround investigation

Forum Member

I just spoke with the personnel department and the academy start date for July is the 13th.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Hey guys.

about ten years ago I had three tickets for driving with a suspended license, only ONE of which I was arrested for.

The matter was taken care of and now when I check on them in that state they have no criminal record on me or the arrest, BUT the court there does have the cases on file............since then I've had zero negative criminal history.

My explanation is just that I was living on a mountain 5 miles from any public transportation and was a stupid kid back then, it was the one time in my life I've had issues with the law.

Do you think they'll really find this a problem, when they look up my criminal history they won't find anything, but if they look through the courts for my name they will find the three tickets for driving while suspended, one of which shows an arrest.

thanks guys.

Thread Information