Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cole77 View Post
    Hey guys.

about ten years ago I had three tickets for driving with a suspended license, only ONE of which I was arrested for.

The matter was taken care of and now when I check on them in that state they have no criminal record on me or the arrest, BUT the court there does have the cases on file............since then I've had zero negative criminal history.

My explanation is just that I was living on a mountain 5 miles from any public transportation and was a stupid kid back then, it was the one time in my life I've had issues with the law.

Do you think they'll really find this a problem, when they look up my criminal history they won't find anything, but if they look through the courts for my name they will find the three tickets for driving while suspended, one of which shows an arrest.

thanks guys.
    from what i hear driving infractions arn't as important as domestic violence, dui's, and major drug use excluding marijuana. i'm in a simalar boat with you. but i had 2 speed contest about 10 years ago. i just had my backround interview and will be waiting for my results. once i know something i'll let you know.

Forum Member

Well congrats and yeah I'd def love to know.

I'd hate to have some stupid thing I did 10-11 years ago hurt me now, when I've had literally zero issues with the law since then.

but hopefully they'll see that theres been no pattern, which I think is what they're looking for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cole77 View Post
    I'd hate to have some stupid thing I did 10-11 years ago hurt me now, when I've had literally zero issues with the law since then.

but hopefully they'll see that theres been no pattern, which I think is what they're looking for.
    The application and background packet will ask you in several different ways, ďHave you everĒ. Computers donít forget. An agency is going to pull your Department of Justice (DOJ). If you donít put it down they find it your immediately eliminated from the hiring process. The only way this will hurt you is if you donít put it down and they find it. You canít take that chance for something like this long ago situation.

You donít want to bring this up in your oral unless they do. They probably wonít. But if they do have a practiced with your recorder answer. This is something that usually is brought up in background. Your reasonable explanation answer here that you were a stupid kid then and nothing has happened since will go a long way in satisfying the BI.

lamina007 wrote

but i had 2 speed contest about 10 years ago.

I served 5 days in Santa Rita Prison for drag racing. Yes, I put it on my application. Because if you don't and they find out, you're gone. In my oral board, I was asked about this. I told the panel, "That since that incident, I had been in the army, married, children, the situation hadn't occurred again, and had been on my job for 9 years. I was a stupid kid then. It's hard to believe this really had happened.

One of the captains asked, "Mr. Smith are you trying to get go around this problem and ignore it?" Here's the "Nugget" answer; I said, "No. If I was trying to do that I would have never put it done on the application." He was done with that question.

When I got my results for that test, the number placement wasn't on the notice. When I called, the personnel lady told me, "Well, Mr. Smith, you're number one. Not only are you number one, you're five full points ahead of number two!" It was having a reasonable explanation prepared in advance that becomes your "Nugget" answers that makes the difference.

That question and the "Nugget" answer probably helped me, not hurt me. It catapulted me past the other candidates at light speed, and did indeed get me my badge!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default backround interview question

firefighter
    Last edited by lamina007; 03-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    question was " since you have been an adult have you ever had sex with anyone under the age of 18"

i answered yes

my explanation is

i was 22 she was 17. i had been friends with the family for about 8 years. we developed feelings for each other. we asked both her parents out to dinner to discuss with them if it was ok for us to date. her parents gave us there consent. eventually we later ended up getting married.

my explanation was a little more detailed than that but is this a deal breaker?
    Well lets get some other people's opinions.. especially from people with lots of experience, but I seriously doubt they'd fail you with that good of a response. I mean asking permission.. then getting married later? That's pretty good and it shows you weren't trying to take advantage of her. However..other people may have a different view.. so lets see what others think.

Forum Member

The reason they ask this question is to see if you had sex with a minor.

From another candidate for LA:

Last test I filled out the Preliminary Background hand out. I answered yes to the question have you ever had sex with a minor. I was rejected, even though I wrote a half page explanation that I was 18 in high school and my girlfriend was 17.

Another candidate from Oregon was in background for a department where he was a volunteer. His dad's a firefighter. He wrote on his background packet that he had sex with a 17-year-old minor when he was age 18. Not only did he not make it through background, he was asked to turn in his gear for the volunteers.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

so everyone should answer no to that question?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuahogFD View Post
    My timeline thus far:

Written Exam - 2/21/09
    CPAT Faxed - 2/23/09
    Interview Letter - 2/27/09
    Interview Date - 3/26/09
    how important is it to send your cpat immediately after your written? i have my written this weekend (3/14) and i dont have my cpat card yet. ive heard you need to show proof after the oral interview?!?
    Last edited by VallejoFireDogg; 03-10-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Forum Member

firefighter
    Last edited by lamina007; 03-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VallejoFireDogg View Post
    how important is it to send your cpat immediately after your written? i have my written this weekend (3/14) and i dont have my cpat card yet. ive heard you need to show proof after the oral interview?!?
    Fax it in ASAP. I never got my scores mailed to me or any phone call, so now Instead of getting my oral in february I have mine scheduled for the 18th of march, took my written on the 24th of january.

Forum Member

wow i wonder if that was the only reason he was let go. i hope that is not the case. do you know if they actually told them that's the reason why? from what i hear on the non select letters they send they're super vague. what's your thoughts on that?
    Yes, the letters are super vague. He was not told directly but couldn't think of anything else that might have caused it. As many already know nothing has to make sence with the LA City process.

The baffled candidate did write:

I answered yes to the question have you ever had sex with a minor. I was rejected, even though I wrote a half page explanation that I was 18 in high school and my girlfriend was 17.

Iím now 27, no longer live in that state, and have no idea what happened to my girl friend. I canít imagine how they would find her and if they did canít imagine she would tell them out of the blue we had sex when she was at age 17.

Forum Member

firefighter
    Last edited by lamina007; 03-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Forum Member

faith1242-

Yes, unfortunately you do receive a background packet right after your interview if you do well as in 95-100. The results that they will mail you is your oral score. All you can do know is re apply a year after your interview date. Take that time to visit some stations and go to the mock orals at franks so you can knock em dead in the interview panel next year.

ThaHero-

No you are not frowned upon if you cancel your test. Call personnel and tell them that you are not going to be able to take the test. Do not do a no show on test day, that would definitely be frowned upon. If I was in your shoes I would test while you are in your EMT course. Your bachelors is related. Everything is related to the fire service, it just depends how you use it. Also, you would have to re-take the exam if you failed your interview twice. So, you would have to test again in two years.

lamina007-

I hate to tell you but I agree with Capt Bob on this issue. Even though you got married and it was consented sexual intercourse, you still had sex with a minor. Hopefully the initial panel review will look at it differently and you will pass, but it is pretty slim. The only thing you have going for you is that the both of you got married. I hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by stihl9154; 03-10-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    faith1242-

ThaHero-

No you are not frowned upon if you cancel your test. Call personnel and tell them that you are not going to be able to take the test. Do not do a no show on test day, that would definitely be frowned upon. If I was in your shoes I would test while you are in your EMT course. Your bachelors is related. Everything is related to the fire service, it just depends how you use it. Also, you would have to re-take the exam if you failed your interview twice. So, you would have to test again in two years.
    Thanks for your response! I think I'm just gonna get this test over with and take it saturday. And not turn in my CPAT until I feel ready to continue on in the process with a stronger resume.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jac629 View Post
    I was contacted by my BGI on Feb 25th
    BGI interview Mar 03rd

(BGI said it would be 30-45 days until I heard further) so if all goes well I will be on track for the July academy. The April academy is def. canceled.
    do your best to list everything. i would put down all the stuff that you put on this website. try your best. worst case scenario explain your self or the situations in the comments in the back of the backround packet. a couple of places i worked at no longer existed so i went to my tax returns to get there name and address then in the phone number section put refer to comments and explained how the companies closed. don't take shortcuts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

can I ask you guys a question...

I may apply with LAFD...the only thing is I'm in Brooklyn, NYC....distance sucks I know....

is LAFD always accepting applicants....because they are always hiring Continuously...

why is that?

Forum Member

in your personal opinion do you think i still have a small chance? or is that pretty much a death sentence. if they end up not selecting me and i apply elsewhere or reapply and get a second chance will me answering yes to that question follow me around and doom me from ever becoming a firefighter? i know that if you were non selected you have to list that on the backround packet as well as your backround investigators name and number. Please advise. thanks for your input.
    Anything is possible. I'm sure when the parents gave you permission to date their 17 year old they weren't giving you permission to have sex with their minor daughter.

Many of the PHQ and background questions have a threshold. On some questions if you cross the threshold you are immediately eliminated from the hiring process.

So whereís the threshold? For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, medical condition, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face at the next step in the hiring process.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

fire fighter
    Last edited by lamina007; 03-12-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VallejoFireDogg View Post
    LAFD will explain to you everything you need to do to improve your candidacy and to keep the hiring process moving as quickly as possible. After you take your exam on Saturday, if you have your CPAT completed, than type out a fax cover page with all the pertinent information on it and fax it along with a copy of your CPAT card. You won't get an interview date until you prove that you have completed your CPAT. If you delay providing it, than you will be at the bottom of a huge stack of applicants that grows deeper every Saturday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post

I may apply with LAFD...the only thing is I'm in Brooklyn, NYC....distance sucks I know....

is LAFD always accepting applicants....because they are always hiring Continuously...

why is that?
    The turnover rate for the next few years is immense. a lot of the Firefighters are Vietnam-Era guys, that are quite near to retirement. And in a city with 3000+ employees, they are constantly needing to replenish their ranks

EDIT: Just got a letter from Personnel. I will not be moving on. Which sucks because I have to wait till December to re-apply. But best of luck to those who moved on!
    Last edited by Ticonderoga; 03-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.

John 15:13

Here is my time line. I am interested to hear if others in my group are in line with this. Hope this helps anyone with questions on timing, etc.

Application submitted - 10/08
    CPAT Faxed - 11/08
    Written Test - 12/20/08
    Interview - 1/29/09
    Background Interview - 2/19/09

Currently waiting on my initial panel review/acceptance. My time line has been in line perfectly with what's posted here: http://www.lacity.org/per/psb/lafd_timeline.pdf

(Hoping this stays true through the rest of this process.)

I will post updates as I have them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by egrus21 View Post
    Here is my time line. I am interested to hear if others in my group are in line with this. Hope this helps anyone with questions on timing, etc.

Application submitted - 10/08
    CPAT Faxed - 11/08
    Written Test - 12/20/08
    Interview - 1/29/09
    Background Interview - 2/19/09

I will post updates as I have them.
    Application 10/08
    written test - 12/08
    cpat turned in - 01/08/09
    Oral interview - 02/19/09
    backround interview - 03/05/09

waiting on my results. i'll keep all of you posted as well. i was a little delayed cause i turned in the cpat a little while after my written.

Forum Member

Whats up eveybody,
    I am currently in the background investigation portion of the process and I was contacted by my BI in late Feb so, like alot of you hear, if everything goes as planned I am or was on track for the Jul tower. The reason I say was is because I have heard some talk about the tower being pushed back to Sep from some legit resources. Anyhow just thought I would kind of throw that out there so everybody has an idea of what may transpire. Good luck to everyone going through the process. As a side note I have been in the process of obtaining my emt cert through this entire process. ( I see this question asked alot "does no emt cert disqualify me?"). Good luck!!

Forum Member

As far as old addresses and landlords, I wasn't going to put the addresses I lived for a couple months, basically couching surfing until I found my own places, or should I? I mean I had no records of living there, leases or utility bills.

Also I have tried in every way possible to find the land lord to addresses of 8 plus years ago, and I just can't find them, they don't own the building or apt anymore....I have no problem with the investigator finding them as there is nothing negative they will find....can I just say that I would be happy if you can find him/them, but I've done everything I can to find out where they are and just can't find their info?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post

why is that?
    Yea the distance is far, but i too am coming from long island ny. its a gamble to spend all that money in travel arrangements but it could very well be worth it

Thread Information