Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

  1. #51
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Sorry you weren't selected, clark. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what you said about women. I know that there are certainly women who have graduated from the tower since 2000. In fact, the last class had at least two (judging from pictures of the graduation ceremony I saw.)

  2. #52
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    Sorry you weren't selected, clark. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what you said about women. I know that there are certainly women who have graduated from the tower since 2000. In fact, the last class had at least two (judging from pictures of the graduation ceremony I saw.)
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Must have heard wrong. I thought I read it in a clip from the newspaper. I think I saw the link on firecareers.com.

    Hopefully I'll get it next time. I can schedule an interview next Feb since I'm still technically on the list for two years. The only reason that I didn't make it was my driving record. So hopefully as time passes, it's already been almost 3 years, I will pass. They didn't really list any reason other that that. I would really love to work for LAFD, so I'm definitely going to be trying again.

  3. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    MPLS
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Must have heard wrong. I thought I read it in a clip from the newspaper. I think I saw the link on firecareers.com.

    Hopefully I'll get it next time. I can schedule an interview next Feb since I'm still technically on the list for two years. The only reason that I didn't make it was my driving record. So hopefully as time passes, it's already been almost 3 years, I will pass. They didn't really list any reason other that that. I would really love to work for LAFD, so I'm definitely going to be trying again.
    Good outlook to keep tring. We all have things in our past we are not proud of, if you don't mind me asking what is it on your driving recored they did not like. It might save me a trip out there.

  4. #54
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKYMN View Post
    Good outlook to keep tring. We all have things in our past we are not proud of, if you don't mind me asking what is it on your driving recored they did not like. It might save me a trip out there.
    Didn't say specifically, but I did have an OWI three years ago. I tried anyway because I was a minor when it happened. After this summer I should be 3 years without a ticket. Most people out there say it just takes time so that they know you learned from your mistakes. I definitely learned from it. I only did it that one time and I don't drink at all anymore. I was still kind of expecting it. I'm only 20 so I'm sure they figured that I didn't mature much. It hurts because I put so much effort into it and it didn't work out because of a few bad months when I was a kid. I know that if I keep up the hard work that I'm doing now and stay out of trouble, that instance will be forgotten.

    I say go for it. If you do get the job, you will be happy. There are so many things that I love about LAFD. I'm actually considering moving out there next spring to get my 4-year degree in Fire Administration at CSULA after I graduate from college over here in December.

    Good luck.

  5. #55
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    MPLS
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Didn't say specifically, but I did have an OWI three years ago. I tried anyway because I was a minor when it happened. After this summer I should be 3 years without a ticket. Most people out there say it just takes time so that they know you learned from your mistakes. I definitely learned from it. I only did it that one time and I don't drink at all anymore. I was still kind of expecting it. I'm only 20 so I'm sure they figured that I didn't mature much. It hurts because I put so much effort into it and it didn't work out because of a few bad months when I was a kid. I know that if I keep up the hard work that I'm doing now and stay out of trouble, that instance will be forgotten.

    I say go for it. If you do get the job, you will be happy. There are so many things that I love about LAFD. I'm actually considering moving out there next spring to get my 4-year degree in Fire Administration at CSULA after I graduate from college over here in December.

    Good luck.
    Just give it time is right, I too did the same thing when I was younger and got a DUI it's now been 12 years, but it still comes up in every interview I'm in, and I hate it the state I live in keeps it on your record for life. I know it has hurt me in the past to have it on my record but I have been doing good ever since so in a way I look at it as I got it out of my system when I was young. Any way when I first started applying for fire jobs 4 years ago I had a lot of people tell me not to bother tring with that on my record, and if I would have listen to them I would not be where I am today I don't have the badge yet but I am #1, #17 and in the first bands of some of my dream departments just keep tring your young, you have time to make it happen.
    Just keep your nose clean.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Last edited by SPARKYMN; 04-18-2008 at 03:51 PM.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hey everyone,

    I don't mean to sidetrack the discussion (though it's been dormant a few weeks), but I just found these forums and I thought this might be the appropriate thread for my questions.

    I'm a university student and I'm writing a paper about the LAFD hiring process. My research and writing are nearly done, but I'm having a hard time finding actual statistics on the number of applicants every year and the number of hirings.

    I've visited just about every LAFD website and called a few different city & department numbers and haven't had much luck.

    Thanks!

  7. #57

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hey,

    I'm writing a paper on the LAFD hiring process and I'm in search of a few statistics. I can't seem to find info on the number of applicants and hirings for LAFD for the past couple years.

    I've visited several LAFD websites and called numerous department and city numbers and haven't had much luck.

    Thanks in advance.

  8. #58
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hey guys,

    I'm going to to LA next weekend to take the written exam and I wanted to do a station visit while I was down there. What is a good station I will get good information from out of the 106 stations?

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default station visits

    hey guys,

    I'm going down to Los Angeles next weekend for my written exam and I wanted to do a station visit. What is a good station that I can get good information from and help from for the hiring process?

  10. #60
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    hey guys,

    I'm going down to Los Angeles next weekend for my written exam and I wanted to do a station visit. What is a good station that I can get good information from and help from for the hiring process?
    Any station will be a good one, but the busier stations tend to have rookies, and it's really the rookies you want to be talking to, as they have just gone through the process.

    What area of the city are you staying in? That will help narrow it down. LA is a big place. It's more than an hour long drive between the stations in San Pedro and the stations in the northwest San Fernando Valley.

  11. #61
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Station 27 was great when I went there. They seemed more than happy to show me and my friend around. Then they let us sit through morning roll call, but we had to leave after that to get our friends car back so he could get to work. Then I went to Station 82 I think? They were really nice, but got a call after about 5 minutes. Since they were a single Engine company we ended up leaving because they all had to go on the call.
    Last edited by clark918; 05-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.

  12. #62
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hey Everyone,

    Well I have a written test coming up next saturday May 17th, and well I dont really have much under my belt, so hopefully if I pass this test I will be able to get an interview. Assuming that I do get an interview I am willing and wanting to do whatever I need to do to obtain this dream job! Well thankfully I only live about 30 minutes outside of LA, so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated! Thanks Everyone!!!!

  13. #63
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.



    Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?

  14. #64
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    thanks for the answers but I also want to know if it the interview is really that difficult. like how much would i have to prepare myself and practice?

  15. #65
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations.
    That's very admirable of you, but you do realize that the city has 106 fire stations spread out throughout the city. That's not just a little crazy, that's insane.

  16. #66
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Should you go to as many or all the stations in a department? Please spare us this part. Donít turn yourself inside out trying to cover all of the stations hoping the word will get back that you did. It will make you look anal and compulsive. This will raise its ugly head in the psychological test if you get that far. One or two stations are fine. If you try to do them all, it only increases the chances of saying or doing the wrong thing or catching a shift of malcontents that will badmouth you.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

  17. #67
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default Got a little free time do ya?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    Hey Everyone...this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated!
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.

  18. #68
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.
    That's a good idea. If you want to get a feel for the different areas, visit a station in the Valley, one on the West Side, one in South LA and one in San Pedro. That's a reasonable number, and will give you a good general breakdown of the different response areas.

  19. #69
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.



    Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?

  20. #70
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?
    Nope. Still waiting.

  21. #71
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?

    ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?

  22. #72
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Alright so trying to vist all the stations is not such a good idea,so thank u guys for giving me the heads up!thank you!this is my first time testing for any department and i just don t really know what to expect or how to best prepare myself for this,so I just took my written test last saturday and I think i did pretty good, any heads up on what comes next and what I should do to best prepare myself for this job???thanks everyone!!!

  23. #73
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?
    They had you sign up after the written I think. It was for mock interviews the next week, but I couldn't fly back out there for that. So they just gave me his number and he helped me out a lot.

  24. #74
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "D"etroit
    Posts
    31

    Default salary

    On lafd.org, it states that starting salary ranges from roughly 53-74k. Im guessing that being a medic would increase your pay, it also says that there is a bilingual bonus. What else besides these two skills could boost your starting salary by 10 grand?

  25. #75
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

    Thanks

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 10-18-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 07:57 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 04-21-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2002, 06:49 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-26-01
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2001, 02:43 PM
  4. LAFD HazMat Investigation - June 16
    By webteam in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2001, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register