Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

ive heard of BI's being laid off. 16 BIs were laid off, however there are still some BIs conducting investigations.

Does not make sense why they are still testing to me either if they are in a short fall of BIs. all that means is an overabundance of waiting candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Anyone in here at the Jan 22 background interview? I'm still waiting to hear from the initial panel review. It's been a lil over 2 months and it's killing me. This is my second time going through the process, if I don't get it this time I don't know what to do.
    I also haven't heard anything yet (I had my bgi the 22nd of Jan as well), it's my first time going through but I keep checking here to see where everybody is that was there the same day. Send me a pm if you find out and i'll do the same, take care.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJ2121 View Post
    Has anyone heard back yet from there final panel review lately?
    I've been waiting to hear back from final panal review since 12/5/08....haven't heard yes or no yet

Forum Member

upengineer..I also got a call from my BGI saying there has been a freeze/suspension on the backgrounds. Also a few co-workers of mine also got the same call

Quote Originally Posted by gilday View Post
    If I am scheduled to begin and complete the EMT during this Fall '09 semester, is it advisable to complete an application now or afterwards?
    I did the same thing. I applied online way before I even enrolled in the EMT course. I actually took the written and the CPAT before starting the EMT class if I remember correctly. Just go all out and take it step by step. Go as far as you can until you hit a road block that is stumping you like classes but other than that just go for it. My biggest thing is "Let's NOT listen to statistics of how hard it is to get in BUT rather BE a statistic and GO FOR IT".

There are 3 types of people....
    People that watch things happen
    People that make things happen
    and People that look back and say "what happened?"

which one are you??

Forum Member

Wink Pm...ckfireck

Quote Originally Posted by ckfireck View Post
    Hey guys, been reading the forum for a while, thought Id post my things. I was in the Initial Background meeting on February 5th, and recieved my letter I will be recieving an investigator on March 10th. My buddy was also in the Jan 22nd one and hasnt heard anything.
    Hi ckfireck,

Can you turn your PM on. I wanted to ask you a question off line.

I was also in the Feb. 5 initial BI class.

Thank you.
    Intheprocess

Luke 16:10

Forum Member

Wow, so I still haven't heard back from the panel and my background interview was on Jan 22, and someone here is saying that they were in the Feb 5 background interview and they already heard back. Wow did I just get non selected for the 2nd year in a row?

Default The process

From my understanding what is happening currently is merely for financial reasons. The LAFD's fiscal year begins in July. The April academy has been canceled due to this fact and all of those candidates will be in the July academy (the start of the new fiscal year). All those that were slated for the July academy will in effect be slated for the next and so on...It makes perfect sense that backgrounds are being "paused" until further notice. There is a current backlog and it does not cost the department as much to test and administer orals in comparison to investing the money needed for a thorough investigation. The department's needs have not changed and their agenda in hiring new recruits will eventually be fulfilled. Just got to be patient and stay in shape!

John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Wow, so I still haven't heard back from the panel and my background interview was on Jan 22, and someone here is saying that they were in the Feb 5 background interview and they already heard back. Wow did I just get non selected for the 2nd year in a row?
    If it makes you feel better I was in the Feb background interview and haven't heard anything yet either.

No news is good news a lot of the time. Be patient buddy...

Forum Member

So I took my test March 14th and just got and faxed my CPAT April 11th. I am reading about all the backlog on BI's, do you think they suspended interviewing as well?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Latron View Post
    So I took my test March 14th and just got and faxed my CPAT April 11th. I am reading about all the backlog on BI's, do you think they suspended interviewing as well?
    i get caught up sometimes in the "are they putting a freeze" etc.... talk. but realistically. you can't do anything about that so try not to worry or think about it to much. they're are several people on here with the right idea. just prepare prepare prepare. that means. mentally, physically, emotionally, educationally, etc..... that way when your number is called you'll be prepared, and won't have a head full of gray hair.

imagine if your this stressed out about this hiring freeze talk etc... how will you respond when there is an actually life emergency. will you be able to handle it and stay calm?

i have my BA in Economics, but zero training that relates to firefighting

i also have a history of recreational drug use in college..

how will this effect my chances?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox01 View Post
    I did the same thing. I applied online way before I even enrolled in the EMT course. I actually took the written and the CPAT before starting the EMT class if I remember correctly. Just go all out and take it step by step. Go as far as you can until you hit a road block that is stumping you like classes but other than that just go for it. My biggest thing is "Let's NOT listen to statistics of how hard it is to get in BUT rather BE a statistic and GO FOR IT".

There are 3 types of people....
    People that watch things happen
    People that make things happen
    and People that look back and say "what happened?"

which one are you??

I am making it happen and I can't wait. Thanks for the reply.

Forum Member

Default EMT Ride along

i went on my first ride along. we helped 3 different people. one which urinated all over himself then proceeded to vomit chunks of food all over us in the ambulance. i wondered how i would handle these types of situations. i'm glad to say that this is definately for me. it didn't bother me a bit. my main concern was to make sure the patients airway was unobstructed. GOOD TIMES. Make it happen people

Forum Member

Default LAFD Candidates Who Just Finished Tower

How many of the guys/gals in the class were paramedics?
    Intheprocess

Luke 16:10

Permanently Removed

Note- There is a LAFD test thread up at www.californiafirefighter.com Sounds like there are some LAFD people there as members now.

See you there.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-20-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Note- There is a LAFD test thread up at www.californiafirefighter.com Sounds like there are some LAFD people there as members now.

See you there.
    If by thread you mean one entry then OK...

FDNY73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Is it easier/quicker to get onto LAFD or FDNY?

Permanently Removed

One entry now, but there are some LAFD people there. If you posted locally vs. here in the back East, you might get some more response.

Besides, the place is new and you guys never had a local place to go to before. Give it a chance.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-20-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member

Default LAFD Budget 09-10

The mayor proposed his budget today:

Recruit Training Program:

"Continue funding and resolution authority for seven sworn positions
    to continue the Recruit Training Program for 2009-10. Modification
    of the Recruit Training Program will reduce academy training from
    five classes to three classes of 50 firefighters recruits for a total of
    150 new recruits. This will result in the temporary closure of one of
    the two drill towers. Reduce funding for 20 Recruit Training
    positions. These positions will be re-deployed back to the field to
    fill vacant positions. Related costs consist of employee benefits."

http://www.lacity.org/cao/budget-09-...ok-Volume1.pdf

Page 306

Forum Member

well theres 100 people who won't put on the badge any time soon.

at least there are 150 positions which is a heck of a lot more then 0 (which seems to be the number a lot of departments are going with)

Well things are definately still moving, and quickly too. My BG packet went to final panel about 4 weeks ago and yesterday my BI called and said they finally got to it but forgot to have me sign something so once that was done it would go back to the top of the pile. Hope to get a med/psych call soon. Keep on keepin on!

Well things are definately still moving along, and quickly too. My BI caled me yesterday and said that after 4 weeks my packet finally made it to final panel but somewhere along the line they forgot to have me sign some papers so once i do that, my packet will go back to the top of the pile. Keep on keepin on!

Forum Member

besies socalpm has anyone heard anything from the city in the past 4 weeks?

Thread Information