Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1216
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

  1. #61
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Station 27 was great when I went there. They seemed more than happy to show me and my friend around. Then they let us sit through morning roll call, but we had to leave after that to get our friends car back so he could get to work. Then I went to Station 82 I think? They were really nice, but got a call after about 5 minutes. Since they were a single Engine company we ended up leaving because they all had to go on the call.
    Last edited by clark918; 05-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.


  2. #62
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hey Everyone,

    Well I have a written test coming up next saturday May 17th, and well I dont really have much under my belt, so hopefully if I pass this test I will be able to get an interview. Assuming that I do get an interview I am willing and wanting to do whatever I need to do to obtain this dream job! Well thankfully I only live about 30 minutes outside of LA, so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated! Thanks Everyone!!!!

  3. #63
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.



    Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?

  4. #64
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    thanks for the answers but I also want to know if it the interview is really that difficult. like how much would i have to prepare myself and practice?

  5. #65
    MembersZone Subscriber JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations.
    That's very admirable of you, but you do realize that the city has 106 fire stations spread out throughout the city. That's not just a little crazy, that's insane.

  6. #66
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Should you go to as many or all the stations in a department? Please spare us this part. Donít turn yourself inside out trying to cover all of the stations hoping the word will get back that you did. It will make you look anal and compulsive. This will raise its ugly head in the psychological test if you get that far. One or two stations are fine. If you try to do them all, it only increases the chances of saying or doing the wrong thing or catching a shift of malcontents that will badmouth you.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

  7. #67
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default Got a little free time do ya?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    Hey Everyone...this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated!
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.

  8. #68
    MembersZone Subscriber JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.
    That's a good idea. If you want to get a feel for the different areas, visit a station in the Valley, one on the West Side, one in South LA and one in San Pedro. That's a reasonable number, and will give you a good general breakdown of the different response areas.

  9. #69
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.



    Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?

  10. #70
    MembersZone Subscriber JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?
    Nope. Still waiting.

  11. #71
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

    JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?

    ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?

  12. #72
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Alright so trying to vist all the stations is not such a good idea,so thank u guys for giving me the heads up!thank you!this is my first time testing for any department and i just don t really know what to expect or how to best prepare myself for this,so I just took my written test last saturday and I think i did pretty good, any heads up on what comes next and what I should do to best prepare myself for this job???thanks everyone!!!

  13. #73
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?
    They had you sign up after the written I think. It was for mock interviews the next week, but I couldn't fly back out there for that. So they just gave me his number and he helped me out a lot.

  14. #74
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "D"etroit
    Posts
    31

    Default salary

    On lafd.org, it states that starting salary ranges from roughly 53-74k. Im guessing that being a medic would increase your pay, it also says that there is a bilingual bonus. What else besides these two skills could boost your starting salary by 10 grand?

  15. #75
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

    Thanks

  16. #76
    MembersZone Subscriber JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

    Thanks
    Each candidate is treated differently. I heard from the Initial Panel after 7 weeks, and others got a positive reply after 6 months.

    Just wait for your letter. It sucks waiting, but they will get to you eventually.

  17. #77
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    44

    Post

    Well I just got my letter for the oral interview and I attended the seminar last saturday. My next step is going to to be a mock oral interview. The only problem is I'll be out of town for that.

    Do you think that some good station visits and studying books like "smoke your firefighter interview" will help make up for not going to the mock oral?

  18. #78
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

    Thanks
    Were you at the background interview in mid-February? I think the 13th? If so, I was there too. I heard back, back unfortunately was not selected.

  19. #79
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    44

    Post

    I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

    Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?

  20. #80
    MembersZone Subscriber JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xsheenx View Post
    I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

    Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?
    Probably. Talk to several rookies so you can get a good idea about what's going to happen in the interview. And call the recruitment office and see if you can set up a mock interview over the phone.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 10-18-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 07:57 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 04-21-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2002, 06:49 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-26-01
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2001, 02:43 PM
  4. LAFD HazMat Investigation - June 16
    By webteam in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2001, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts