Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

Thanks
    Each candidate is treated differently. I heard from the Initial Panel after 7 weeks, and others got a positive reply after 6 months.

Just wait for your letter. It sucks waiting, but they will get to you eventually.

Forum Member

Well I just got my letter for the oral interview and I attended the seminar last saturday. My next step is going to to be a mock oral interview. The only problem is I'll be out of town for that.

Do you think that some good station visits and studying books like "smoke your firefighter interview" will help make up for not going to the mock oral?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

Thanks
    Were you at the background interview in mid-February? I think the 13th? If so, I was there too. I heard back, back unfortunately was not selected.

Forum Member

I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by xsheenx View Post
    I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?
    Probably. Talk to several rookies so you can get a good idea about what's going to happen in the interview. And call the recruitment office and see if you can set up a mock interview over the phone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I got the call today!

I've been scheduled for my medical and psych, and I'm in good health and not crazy so I'm not really anticipating any problems there. It looks like my dream is about to come true!!

I want to say thanks to all the people who have been so helpful throughout this whole process. I really would not have been successful if not for the information I've gotten on this and other websites.

I'm so happy right now I have no idea what to do with myself!
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

Default congrats

duplicate post
    Last edited by eyeateus; 06-16-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Forum Member

Default nice

Hey great news! Congrats on getting this far. I'm still waiting to hear from my background investigator. My personal questionnaires went out to my references last week. How long was your field investigation?

Forum Member

Congrats thus far Jlam. Hope for the best.

I finally heard back and I passed the Initial Panel Review so I'm onto the field investigation. Everything should pan out since i don't have anything really bad in my BGs.

Does anyone know how often the Drill Towers (Academy) are set and if they have specific start dates for each?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eyeateus View Post
    Hey great news! Congrats on getting this far. I'm still waiting to hear from my background investigator. My personal questionnaires went out to my references last week. How long was your field investigation?
    My investigation lasted one month, and then it took 9 weeks to hear back from the Final Panel. Just took my med/psych today, so hopefully I'll know the results of that in the next couple of weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    My investigation lasted one month, and then it took 9 weeks to hear back from the Final Panel. Just took my med/psych today, so hopefully I'll know the results of that in the next couple of weeks.
    So, did you get a tentative job offer at the time you were scheduled for you med & psych? Did you get a possible drill tower start date?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eyeateus View Post
    So, did you get a tentative job offer at the time you were scheduled for you med & psych? Did you get a possible drill tower start date?
    When you get the call to go for your med/psych, you've effectively been given your conditional job offer. I did get an official letter from the fire department yesterday, though, after I had already taken my medical earlier this week. That was the first time I've gotten anything from the FD itself rather than the Personnel Dept.

I spoke to someone in Recruit Services who said the next Drill Tower was scheduled for early August at 81's in Panorama City. The one after that will be at 40's in San Pedro, either in September or October.

Post Background Investigation

Hi, I am new to this forum and aspiring to join LAFD.

Can anyone give some insight to the background procedure, as far as, does the investigator ask you questions or do you fill out a questioner. Do you have to take a polygraph test? etc.

Thanks!

Post background investigation

Hi, I am new to this forum. Also, aspiring to join the LAFD team.

I have a question(s) with the background. Does it really take 4 hours and at what point to you take the polygraph test?

Forum Member

hey everyone!!! congrats JLAM!!! Well I just had my interview about two weeks ago and got my background packet that day!!! so I have my background interview next thursday, and was just wondering if anyone has any info on what this process is like and what I should expect these next couple of weeks? Thanks everyone!!!

Forum Member

Default test

What is the passing score on the written portion?

MembersZone Subscriber

Drill Tower starts July 21!!!

Forum Member

Congrats Jlam!!!! Thats awesome man!!! So how long is the drill tower,and where does it take place?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dookieFire View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum and aspiring to join LAFD.

Can anyone give some insight to the background procedure, as far as, does the investigator ask you questions or do you fill out a questioner.
    Both.

Do you have to take a polygraph test? etc.

Thanks!
    Not usually, but they reserve the right to do one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    hey everyone!!! congrats JLAM!!! Well I just had my interview about two weeks ago and got my background packet that day!!! so I have my background interview next thursday, and was just wondering if anyone has any info on what this process is like and what I should expect these next couple of weeks? Thanks everyone!!!
    Just show up, fill out the forms completely and honestly, and follow the instructions you're given.

What to expect? A lot of waiting, mostly. It takes forever, but hopefully the end result is worth it.

Resist the temptation to call and check on your status. They'll get to you when they get to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats Jlam!!!! Thats awesome man!!! So how long is the drill tower,and where does it take place?
    18 weeks. They have 2 towers, one in Panorama City and one in San Pedro. The upcoming class is in Panorama City.

Forum Member

hey jlam quick question. On the backgound packet where it ask for references, how come they want only people only within 10 years of your age??? And do u think it would be a good idea to contact my past employers to let them know someone maybe contacting them??? thanks man for all the good info you give!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddbizkitt03 View Post
    What is the passing score on the written portion?
    It's pass/fail

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    Drill Tower starts July 21!!!
    Good luck!

Forum Member

hey jlam quick question. On the backgound packet where it ask for references, how come they want only people only within 10 years of your age??? And do u think it would be a good idea to contact my past employers to let them know someone maybe contacting them??? thanks man for all the good info you give!
    ddkfiremedic, I've been in the process now with LAFD for about 9 months and I'm about half way though my field investigation, so hopefully this answers your questions:

Since you've already provided family info, I would assume they want references from your peers. Your peers are typically within 10 years of your age. If you're assigned a BI they will ask your family and peers (friends) for additional references.

It's not a bad idea to give a heads up to your past employers but at this stage you may want to wait until you're selected for a field investigation. They won't contact anyone until you've actually been assigned a background investigator.

Thread Information