Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

Station 27 was great when I went there. They seemed more than happy to show me and my friend around. Then they let us sit through morning roll call, but we had to leave after that to get our friends car back so he could get to work. Then I went to Station 82 I think? They were really nice, but got a call after about 5 minutes. Since they were a single Engine company we ended up leaving because they all had to go on the call.
    Last edited by clark918; 05-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Hey Everyone,

Well I have a written test coming up next saturday May 17th, and well I dont really have much under my belt, so hopefully if I pass this test I will be able to get an interview. Assuming that I do get an interview I am willing and wanting to do whatever I need to do to obtain this dream job! Well thankfully I only live about 30 minutes outside of LA, so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated! Thanks Everyone!!!!

Forum Member

well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.

Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?

Forum Member

thanks for the answers but I also want to know if it the interview is really that difficult. like how much would i have to prepare myself and practice?

Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    so this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations.
    That's very admirable of you, but you do realize that the city has 106 fire stations spread out throughout the city. That's not just a little crazy, that's insane.

Forum Member

Should you go to as many or all the stations in a department? Please spare us this part. Donít turn yourself inside out trying to cover all of the stations hoping the word will get back that you did. It will make you look anal and compulsive. This will raise its ugly head in the psychological test if you get that far. One or two stations are fine. If you try to do them all, it only increases the chances of saying or doing the wrong thing or catching a shift of malcontents that will badmouth you.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Default Got a little free time do ya?

Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    Hey Everyone...this might sound crazy but im planning on visting all of la city's fire stations. But im asking for anyone willing to give me any helpfull tips or advise on what to do to obtain this job, it would be very much so appreciated!
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Yeeaaahhh....try not to do that.
    Planning on and doing so probably won't be in your best interest.
    Maybe visit a handful at most. Different neighborhoods to get a feel for the different demographics the department serves.
    That's a good idea. If you want to get a feel for the different areas, visit a station in the Valley, one on the West Side, one in South LA and one in San Pedro. That's a reasonable number, and will give you a good general breakdown of the different response areas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    well I'm actually staying in Anaheim but I'm willing to drive to any station.

Hey clark918, were there many new guys at station 27? did you get help for your interview?
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

JLam... hear anything back from the final panel yet?

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Nope. Still waiting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    There wasn't a rookie, but one guy, who was still fairly new, helped me out a lot. I think at 82 I talked to a rookie. Captain Kearns at station 69 actually helped me the most with my interview. He talked to me over the phone and through email. I knew what I was looking for when I talked to him whereas the other visits were a couple days before my written test. The recruiter, LaMorris Wilshire(sp?) also helped me out a lot. Both of them pretty much guaranteed that I would pass my interview, which I did.

ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?

Forum Member

Alright so trying to vist all the stations is not such a good idea,so thank u guys for giving me the heads up!thank you!this is my first time testing for any department and i just don t really know what to expect or how to best prepare myself for this,so I just took my written test last saturday and I think i did pretty good, any heads up on what comes next and what I should do to best prepare myself for this job???thanks everyone!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tmiqueowfa3 View Post
    ok cool cool thanks good info. How did you meet the lafd recruiter?
    They had you sign up after the written I think. It was for mock interviews the next week, but I couldn't fly back out there for that. So they just gave me his number and he helped me out a lot.

Forum Member

Default salary

On lafd.org, it states that starting salary ranges from roughly 53-74k. Im guessing that being a medic would increase your pay, it also says that there is a bilingual bonus. What else besides these two skills could boost your starting salary by 10 grand?

Forum Member

I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I am a new member and had a question about LAFD's process. I have completed the written, oral, and background interview parts of the process. But it has been over 3 months since the background interview and I haven't heard of a single thing. They said don't call, so I haven't. I also noticed on their website they have suspended the CPAT practices they were holding. Is there a holdup with LAFD's hiring process?

Thanks
    Each candidate is treated differently. I heard from the Initial Panel after 7 weeks, and others got a positive reply after 6 months.

Just wait for your letter. It sucks waiting, but they will get to you eventually.

Forum Member

Well I just got my letter for the oral interview and I attended the seminar last saturday. My next step is going to to be a mock oral interview. The only problem is I'll be out of town for that.

Do you think that some good station visits and studying books like "smoke your firefighter interview" will help make up for not going to the mock oral?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post

Thanks
    Were you at the background interview in mid-February? I think the 13th? If so, I was there too. I heard back, back unfortunately was not selected.

Forum Member

I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?

Quote Originally Posted by xsheenx View Post
    I just recieved my Oral Interview letter and I also attended a seminar this past Saturday. My next step was to go to the mock oral interview, won't be able to make it to one before my interview.

Do you think that doing my station visits, talking to the rookie and senior firefighters and reading books like "how to smoke your firefighter interview" will be sufficient enough when I go in for the real deal?
    Probably. Talk to several rookies so you can get a good idea about what's going to happen in the interview. And call the recruitment office and see if you can set up a mock interview over the phone.

Thread Information