Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 344142434445464754 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JOGEHRIG View Post
    Did you receive your letter stating you passed Psych and Medical? Have you heard anything about the July academy? Has anyone received a call for July?
    Yes, I did get a letter saying that I had cleared med/psych. I also got a call this week by a background investigator confirming that nothing had changed from my background packet. I know a few other people received this same call that cleared med/psych around the same time. The investigator said that I will be hearing from personnel very soon. All indications are that July is still on. If you did not hear anything after med/psych you should probably call personnel. I know some people are required to do additional phone or in person interviews related to psych.

Forum Member

Just got the official call for the next academy! July 13th start date at DT 81 in Panorama City. Lets see who's all going!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Just got the official call for the next academy! July 13th start date at DT 81 in Panorama City. Lets see who's all going!
    oh damn. congrats man. i hope you kill it!!!

Forum Member

Chief Barry is retiring.. I wonder if this is why their are "major" changes in the hiring process.

Forum Member

Smile The Real info straight from the horses mouth.

Lafd is not in a freeze. they're in a hiring slow down. there is no new process to get hired. only that they will be a little more selective. such as.

1. Dui last 3-5 years. need not apply (this pretty much goes for anything equivalent to this)
    2. they will stop accepting applications probly later this week. so if you were thinking of applying. you better do it by tomorrow is what they said. apply online. www.joinlafd.org
    3. july academy is on and oct-nov academy is scheduled as well. (in order to get in one of these, most applicants will have to have there phych eval done. it that is done then you are in the hiring pool for these classes. they have already selected there group of people they will pull from for those two classes.
    4. 2010 they will only be hiring 150 fire fighters. they will schedule three classes. january febuary will be the first one. (there is a possiblility they may stop hiring completely for 2010 but they're fighting to continue hiring).
    5. if you were thinking of taking EMT-B it is a must to get hired. also if you want to separate yourself. start taking fire science classes to show you have some knowledge.
    6. there are currently over 4000 applicants to fill 150 spots in 2010. they'll be cutting off the applicants probably this week. they will be choosing from this group to satisfy the lafd needs. that means if your just starting the process your odds of getting hired are probably somewhere around 4-5 % and if you passed the inital panel already then i would guess your odds are about 25% or so.
    7. they will start up the process hopefully july or august. so we should start moving along again.
    8. in conclusion. this is what i interpreted from the seminar i attended today. these fire fighters that spend there time to educate us on the situation are awesome. i hope all of us that are reading this will make it on board. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Passed

I received the letter that i passed psych medical and also received the call from a background investigator updating any changes.it sounds like i'm just waiting for the academy date. Thanks for the info.. HOpefully we are going to get in the July Academy..

QUOTE=sgobba;1066686]Yes, I did get a letter saying that I had cleared med/psych. I also got a call this week by a background investigator confirming that nothing had changed from my background packet. I know a few other people received this same call that cleared med/psych around the same time. The investigator said that I will be hearing from personnel very soon.

Forum Member

Smile New to Forum

Hello my fellow aspiring firefighters. Am new to the site and think it is an awesome place for us to share information and get to know other people who share the same dream!

I am currently in process with LAFD and hoping the economy doesn't delay me getting on with LAFD!

Forum Member

Default Drill towers

Okay, so this just in..... My Captain was supposed to go to the Drill Tower in September, but he just received a phone call (6/2) saying that he WILL NOT have to go because the Drill Towers are being shut down and that includes the July class. This is due to the Mayor just signing the budget.

I know many of you have just received phone calls being offered a spot in the July class, so I dont know what will happen now.

Post anything if you guys hear.
    Last edited by slick75; 06-02-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Forum Member

That is wild as heck. Thanks for your info

Forum Member

Default July Tower

Quote Originally Posted by slick75 View Post
    Okay, so this just in..... My Captain was supposed to go to the Drill Tower in September, but he just received a phone call (6/2) saying that he WILL NOT have to go because the Drill Towers are being shut down and that includes the July class.

I know many of you have just received phone calls being offered a spot in the July class, so I dont know what will happen now.

I had a July Tower Date. Got the call today that it's not going to happen due to budget cuts.

Best of luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slick75 View Post
    Okay, so this just in..... My Captain was supposed to go to the Drill Tower in September, but he just received a phone call (6/2) saying that he WILL NOT have to go because the Drill Towers are being shut down and that includes the July class. This is due to the Mayor just signing the budget.

Well, unfortunately, you are correct. Just got a call from LA today.. July class canceled..and we have no word on the next one. He said we'd know more later this week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Well, unfortunately, you are correct. Just got a call from LA today.. July class canceled..and we have no word on the next one. He said we'd know more later this week.
    man that stinks. i feel for you guys that just got the call. hopefully none of you put your 2 weeks in yet. that would be a even bigger bummer. looks like we're all on a definate hold till july august. it's not looking good. at that seminar they said that it's possible they may stop everything. hope it doesn't come to that. our day will come sooner or later.

Forum Member

Hey guys,

Im a FF 1 and 2 and EMT -b in MI, and I filled out the entire app. on joinlafd.org and when it comes to select an exam at the end...

I dont see the firefighter exam in the drop down list.... My guess is there still hiring correct??

I know its to late to get into the July academy, but Im hoping to get into the Oct. academy.. any help appreciated!

Default disappointed

Well After Reading That The July Tower Is Now Canceled Im Going To Let My Hopes Down And Go Get My Paramedic Done. I Am From Minnesota And Spent About $3000 On Flights And Hotels To Get Hired On Lafd, I Did The Written Test In July Of 08 And Patiently Waited For The Long Process Of Hiring. I Got A 100 On My Interview And Got My Background All Done And Was Waiting For Final Panel When The Crap Hit The Fan On The Budget. Maybe Someday It Will Happen But I Think Everyone Should Just Take The Time To Get More Qualifications Until This Gets Sorted Out. Who Would Have Thought They Would Go From Hiring 750 Over 3 Years To 0 So Fast

Well I just went to the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department website to see if I could find any information on LAFD budget/hiring etc.. and this is what I found.

"How to Apply

Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the City's financial situation has resulted in a reduction in the Firefighter hiring plan. Therefore, the Firefighter job bulletin will be closed by the end of the day on June 5, 2009, and no applications for this examination will be accepted after that time and until further notice. If you would like to submit a request for e-mail notification should this examination open for filing again, please do so by clicking https://personline.lacity.org/notecard/index.cfm.

These pages are designed and maintained
    by the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department
    Revised Date: 06/05/2009 14:00:03"

Not good, thank g-d I'm in th process already. X Fingers

Default More Info

I Called The Recruitment Office Yesterday And They Said If You Havent Gotten Your Background Investigation Done Yet You Are Going To Have A Long Wait Beacuse They Laid Off A Bunch Of Investigators But That If You Are At Least At Final Panel Review You Shouldn't Give Up Yet

Forum Member

Default Passed my EMt course

now all i have to do is pass the national registry. working on that resume. we may not get in tomorrow, but with continued effort we will get that much closer. Don't give up, if this is really what you want. this is the time to do more, not less.

Default Let your hope down!

final panel is the second best place to be right now. Had you not completed your background you might have been hopeless. Im not in the FD but I do work with some of the upper echelon for LA fire and this is what they said. First off they said in their 30+ years LA has done this "slow down" numerous times. they send the Drill Cadre back into circulation throughout the stations and that fills some gaps for the time being..."for the time being." They cant stop the retirements that are happening and after a few months, maybe more, the open positions will continue to grow and they'll have to hire. The reason LA is hiring like crazy is from the surge they did in the late 70's. Those FD personnel are at retirement now.

This is also a "Weeding out" process. Those who want it will stay till the end and believe me, you arent the first one to put down that kind of cash to earn this job. It sucks, no doubt, and I think they should be a lot more up front with their candidates.

Dont give up hope just yet, its not over till its over

Forum Member

Default Nremt

passed my class and the NREMT test. i'm legit. now if only lafd would start my backround check already.

John 15:13

I understand they have canceled the next two towers. I have a feeling we will be waiting a while.

Thread Information