Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    After you fill out the backround questioneer, do they notify you if you passed and if your in the initial panel review? or do you just fill out the backround and they'll notify you after they do the initial panel review. just curious cause i filled out my backround packet back in early march and still have not heard anything.

After you fill out your background questioneer, you will be assigned a background investigator. That background investigator will contact you to get the ball rolling on your background. I probably waited 2-3 months before I received a phone call from a b.i. Now, it might take longer than that. You should also receive a letter in the mail letting you know that your background packet has been given to a b.i. The initial panel review comes after the b.i. goes through your background and then passes back to personnel where it is given to a panel to review. The actual background takes months before it is given to a panel to review.

Hope this helps

Forum Member

After you fill out the backround questioneer, do they notify you if you passed and if your in the initial panel review? or do you just fill out the backround and they'll notify you after they do the initial panel review. just curious cause i filled out my backround packet back in early march and still have not heard anything.
    They will notify you via mail. It can take anywhere up to a few weeks or up to 11 months. After talking to personnel when I went through that portion of the process it depends if you are a highly desirable candidate on how fast you move through backgrounds. Also remember that it is going to take longer than normal because of the "hiring freeze" that is going on.

Forum Member

Thanks, that is good to know I was also in the March background group.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBamBam View Post
    Hi there, I am new to this forum. I applied to LAFD before they had their cutoff for applying ( i think it was june 5th). i think i applied the 1st, but ANYways....yesterday I got an email from somebody who works for the city saying that there is going to be some major changes to the hiring process, and there will be a meeting to discuss it this coming saturday in L.A. I was just wondering, did anyone else get this email? and is anyone else going to be attending??? thanks!
    Just wondering if the email gave you any specific information on this meeting? Or does anyone else know any information about the meeting?

thanx

Forum Member

HB1982 and pwmedic2006, Im also in the same time frame as you two, turned my packet in on 13th of Feb, and still havent heard any news on the final panel review yet, ill let you know if I hear anything, we just gotta be patient with this process

Forum Member

Default update

This is from the city's website regarding hiring freeze. It looks like the freeze is only affecting PD. If they are sending letters for non select and what not they are working behind close doors.

Here is the link check out page 19 item # 7

http://ens.lacity.org/clk/clkbudget/...9_05152009.pdf

Link to other budget info: http://www.lacity.org/councilcmte/budget/video.htm

7. Institute a “Hard Hiring Freeze” effective upon adoption of the 2009-10 Budget, except
    for sworn recruit positions in the LAFD. In addition to LAFD sworn recruit positions,
    generally, only positions which are directly responsible for revenue generation, are fully
    grant or special-funded positions,

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not currently in the process, but I plan on applying when the City opens the bulletin again. Would anyone happen to know approximately when that will be. Also, would anyone be willing to share their insight on which department they think is better and why. LA City or LA County. Thanks!
    By the way, I hope I posted this in the right thread.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJ2121 View Post
    HB1982 and pwmedic2006, Im also in the same time frame as you two, turned my packet in on 13th of Feb, and still havent heard any news on the final panel review yet, ill let you know if I hear anything, we just gotta be patient with this process
    I think many of these last authors' of posts are confused.
    This is the process :
    1. PBA
    2. Written
    3. oral
    4. background packet turn in (orientation )
    5. Initial Panel review( takes 3 mos minimum about to hear back) if chosen you move to Background Investigation. THIS is where a majority of candidates recieve the NON-select letter, if they receive it at all.
    6. Background Investigation, once complete goes to final panel review
    7. Final Panel Review
    8. Conditional offer given but Med Psych must be passed

http://per.lacity.org/psb/lafd_process.htm

Forum Member

popofosho, Not confused with the process at all, actually know it pretty well, just letting the other candidates know Im also in the same time frame as them as well. Good luck in the process

Forum Member

popofosho, Not confused with the process at all, actually know it pretty well, just letting the other candidates know Im also in the same time frame as them as well. Good luck in the process
    Yeah I agree...I know the process pretty good at this point too...We have made it all the way to step 7 and are kinda stuck there now with this "freeze" or whatever you want to call it today....keep your fingers crossed, hopefully things get halfway moving again by the start of fall.

Forum Member

Default Re-Apply?

So i filled out my initial application with LAFD back in November 2008. I'm currently waiting to get into the initial panel review. i already filled out the backround questioneer. if for some reason i'm not selected by november. do i have to re-apply again and start the process all over? or is your original application good for longer than 1 year?

MembersZone Subscriber

So i filled out my initial application with LAFD back in November 2008. I'm currently waiting to get into the initial panel review. i already filled out the backround questioneer. if for some reason i'm not selected by november. do i have to re-apply again and start the process all over? or is your original application good for longer than 1 year?
    You should call personnel. Everything has a different expiration date. I called them to ask that question but I am in a different situation because I already passed med/psych. For those people that have made it through the entire process, background is valid for 1 year and then needs to be redone. Other than that I was told to keep my EMT valid and I shouldn't have anything else to worry about. If you have not made it through panel review I believe your interview score is only valid for 1 year. But again, call them to make sure...

Forum Member

HB1982 and pwmedic2006...13th of Feb, and still havent heard any news on the final panel review yet.
    Sorry for the confusion post, but he said final panel review that's all i was pointing out. my bad.

I hope they hire back the investigators soon so the process will get rolling.

The investigators for FD are all laid off, this is what is holding the up the process for the most part, without them, the other simple jobs cant be performed such as the panel reviews, since those use in house employees (personell analysts and fire).

Its a big domino effect and its really getting nerve racking specially when we worry about expiration dates on BIs, med psychs, and interviews

I believe your interview is the only thing that expires you OUT of the process. While the other parts of the process may expire ( BI and Med ) they often will be redone if still valid in the process.

You should be valid in the process for 2 years from the interview score/date. However you are able to reapply 1 year after your interview to start over in the process ( minus the written ). The written is a one time gig.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by popofosho View Post
    Sorry for the confusion post, but he said final panel review that's all i was pointing out. my bad.

I hope they hire back the investigators soon so the process will get rolling.

The investigators for FD are all laid off, this is what is holding the up the process for the most part, without them, the other simple jobs cant be performed such as the panel reviews, since those use in house employees (personell analysts and fire).

Its a big domino effect and its really getting nerve racking specially when we worry about expiration dates on BIs, med psychs, and interviews

I believe your interview is the only thing that expires you OUT of the process. While the other parts of the process may expire ( BI and Med ) they often will be redone if still valid in the process.

You should be valid in the process for 2 years from the interview score/date. However you are able to reapply 1 year after your interview to start over in the process ( minus the written ). The written is a one time gig.
    cool thanks for the clarification:O

Forum Member

Default Non-Select Letter

Unfortunately i received the dreaded not selected letter today. i had filled out my initial backround questioner back in middle of march and just received the letter today that was dated 06-30-09. i'll have to reapply feb of next year. good luck to all of you left in the process. looks like there just weeding us all out since there's been alot of letters being sent out recently. hopefully no one else get's this letter. have a good weekend.

Forum Member

Default non select

You may need to contact Lamorris in the recruitment division. They wanted to keep a track of who got non selected. I have his number if you need it.

Forum Member

Who wants to keep track? and for what purposes, if you know...

John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by nots4u2001 View Post
    This is from the city's website regarding hiring freeze. It looks like the freeze is only affecting PD. If they are sending letters for non select and what not they are working behind close doors.

7. Institute a “Hard Hiring Freeze” effective upon adoption of the 2009-10 Budget, except
    for sworn recruit positions in the LAFD. In addition to LAFD sworn recruit positions,
    generally, only positions which are directly responsible for revenue generation, are fully
    That's huge information being that most everyone else assumed a freeze was in affect. Take that and add in the fact that they are sending non-selects out is at least news things are moving a little. Soem movement is better than zero I suppose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by popofosho View Post
    Who wants to keep track? and for what purposes, if you know...
    It was the recruiment division, they mentioned it during the meeting they held at the training center (hotchkins). I think they wanted the info for tracking puposes.
    Last edited by nots4u2001; 07-10-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nots4u2001 View Post

Thanks for the info. If you hear anything new please post it.

Thread Information