Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Navymedic73:

Thank yo so much for communicating that info on this post. I have no contacts in LAFD so that makes it much harder to keep up with true information. Especially since I am an out of towner but frequent visitor of the SoCal area.

I am currently a FF/AEMT in midwest. I plan on getting Paramedic after I finish a Master's degree that I am working on. Following the latest occurrences in regards to EMS and LAFD, I figured they will be hiring most medics in the future. I also understand the diversity issue (being native hispanic myself) and why they want to hire that % of female candidates.

That being said, for all of us that are not medics, we will have to do remarkably great on the written and CPAT portion of the testing process. It will be hard but not impossible to obtain a great score on the interview without having the extra points for being paramedic. At this time I wish I was in PM school and having the chance of doing internships with LAFD.

225 is a big number and opens up a chance. Last test I took in Phoenix AZ there were about 5000 applicants against 50 or so open positions.

Los Angeles is a top-notch agency covering one of the most diversified (by all means) cities in America. A very progressive department in regards to emergency/incident response. Lots of fires, lots of medicals, lots of everything, serving customers with ties from all over the world. Definitely want to be there.

Please keep us updated!

Forum Member

I was at one point in the process with Lafd and in backgrounds. I am now a firefighter for a big city in another state. I do plan on possibly trying to come back there. Granted they might want slot of medics but doesn't mean they won't hire guys with no medic. your written score means nothing it's pass or fail and te interview and background is everything. On the interview I received almost a perfect score. And that was being straight out of the service back in 2009 when I did it. I've heard rumor after rumor every year since I'll believe it when I see it. La city budget is really messed up.
    Last edited by ja29; 03-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Forum Member

Very true ja29, I forgot how different LAFD's process is compared to other depts. I am also keeping my eyes open of the city's budget since it is what drives all this. Let's just hope for the best.

Forum Member

I agree they will be hiring some single function but not many. Single function firefighters in LA city budget eyes and needs is the lowest priority

MembersZone Subscriber

Is their a private ambulance company that also covers the city of LA or are they the sole provider? The reason I ask is because with todays economy and budget issues, alot of cities are now relying more on the private companies in a way to reduce the amount of medics the city has to hire. Which results in savings due to the firefighter/paramedic salary being higher.

Forum Member

Lafd is the primary provider for 9-1-1 calls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Navymedic73 View Post
    i am in my internship with LAFD now and at morning lineup it was announced that they will OPEN for APPLICATIONS in September 2012. .
    What kind of internship are you doing with LAFD? Paramedic or something else?

I am just curious...

Forum Member

Any word on whether the possible restoration of all browned out apparatus will effect the hiring process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmr32 View Post
    Any word on whether the possible restoration of all browned out apparatus will effect the hiring process?
    In the article I read on here someone from LAFD was quoted as saying that they won't be changing their hiring plan if their budget is fully restored. He mentioned that until they are down around 100 front line spots, it didn't make sense for them to open up again. Not sure how they won't be down 100 if they get restored, but that's what the article stated. Here is a link so you can read it yourself.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/106883...les-fd-funding

Forum Member

The Mayor’s proposed budget makes public safety a priority and maintains the size of the Los Angeles police force at its current strength. Maintaining the size of the LAPD has helped bring violent crime in the City down to levels not seen since the 1950s. The proposed budget also provides funding for the Fire Department for the operation of six new ambulances and one Valley engine company, the restoration of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) captains, and the recruitment and hiring of new firefighters.

Found an article this week on mayors proposal on upcoming budget. I cut this section from article

Forum Member

Earlier this week I found the Mayor's proposal for next fiscal year.

http://cao.lacity.org/budget12-13/20...et_Summary.pdf

from an article similar to ja29's post:

"The mayor’s budget would restore six ambulances to service during peak hours of the day. It would pay for the department to re-open training centers in order to begin hiring new firefighters starting in September 2013."
    Last edited by enginetercera; 04-30-2012 at 01:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by enginetercera View Post
    Earlier this week I found the Mayor's proposal for next fiscal year.

http://cao.lacity.org/budget12-13/20...et_Summary.pdf

from an article similar to ja29's post:

"The mayor’s budget would restore six ambulances to service during peak hours of the day. It would pay for the department to re-open training centers in order to begin hiring new firefighters starting in September 2013."
    Does this mean to have new firefighters on board come September 2013 or is this when the application period will begin?

Forum Member

I called recruiting as they informed me that if all holds up testing will begin dec 2012 for a class around sept 2013. budget isn't official until June or july

Forum Member

Keeping a close eye on this and really hoping that, if I get the opportunity to test, I can snag a spot. Would be a dream come true.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are there any vet preferences there? any extra for disabled vets? i know some depts like denver give 10 points if you are above a certain %.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ja29 View Post
    I called recruiting as they informed me that if all holds up testing will begin dec 2012 for a class around sept 2013. budget isn't official until June or july
    If testing begins in December, than I assume the application period will open well before that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    Are there any vet preferences there? any extra for disabled vets? i know some depts like denver give 10 points if you are above a certain %.
    I believe vets are entitled to five points after the first interview. Hopefully, guys more experienced with the process visiting this forum might help you out with an accurate answer.

Forum Member

Is LAFD's process like LACoFD's process? Is a lot of it based on luck or do they tend to look more at experience, education, qualifications, etc...?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I was at one time in lafd process back in 2009 when budget cuts hit. I was in backgrounds and am a vet. I'm now a FF for a big city, prefer not to say were, since I will be reapplying to lafd. Anyways vets get 5 points added to interview and those with higher awards or disability ratings from Va will get 10 points. Word of caution if lafd does hire nothing less than a 90 on interview probably won't move on to BR.
    Last edited by ja29; 05-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    Is LAFD's process like LACoFD's process? Is a lot of it based on luck or do they tend to look more at experience, education, qualifications, etc...?

Thanks.
    I would suggest you to research on this same very thread. There is tons of information from guys that successfully went through the entire process. I do not think it is based on luck. Any person's integrity and drive - such as goals you have set up to accomplish something - are reviewed and scored. It happens sometimes -mostly to develop a diverse pool of candidates - that individuals who are 18 or 19 with no experience are picked up before others with more experience and education. That depends on the department. I do not know if that happens in L.A.

If you are new into this field, I also suggest you to follow JA29's advise and prepare well. Try to read Chief Lepore's book if you can, it helped me get the job back in 2007 (with another big city dept in a different state).

Forum Member

I would suggest you to research on this same very thread. There is tons of information from guys that successfully went through the entire process. I do not think it is based on luck. Any person's integrity and drive - such as goals you have set up to accomplish something - are reviewed and scored. It happens sometimes -mostly to develop a diverse pool of candidates - that individuals who are 18 or 19 with no experience are picked up before others with more experience and education. That depends on the department. I do not know if that happens in L.A.

If you are new into this field, I also suggest you to follow JA29's advise and prepare well. Try to read Chief Lepore's book if you can, it helped me get the job back in 2007 (with another big city dept in a different state).

I suppose I should have read through this thread....I am gonna do that within the next few days.

I am not new to this field. I, like yourself, work with a different big city department in a different state. However, probably going to read that book again. And study for the interview more than any other interview ever.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

You gonna be taking the test if it comes around...?

Forum Member

So far I am planning on it. Waiting till mid june to see if budget is approved. I will probably be around L.A. at that time so it will be really exciting news. Praying for CA budget to improve as well, we received several apps from guys from CA last year trying to make the move to midwest because of the financial situation. As written in past posts it is most likely that the application period will be by the end of the year. Who knows, I can't wait .

Forum Member

So far I am planning on it. Waiting till mid june to see if budget is approved. I will probably be around L.A. at that time so it will be really exciting news. Praying for CA budget to improve as well, we received several apps from guys from CA last year trying to make the move to midwest because of the financial situation. As written in past posts it is most likely that the application period will be by the end of the year. Who knows, I can't wait .
    Not to hijack this, does anyone know of a West Coast Department that will help you attain an EMT-B, or if you don't have that you might as well not apply?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Not to hijack this, does anyone know of a West Coast Department that will help you attain an EMT-B, or if you don't have that you might as well not apply?
    In reality, you pretty much need it for every department out there. And I'd imagine in the near (kinda) future, you'll have to be a medic at most departments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post

As far as Ca. goes, I don't know of any that will hire someone without their EMT-B. In fact here in southern California, you pretty much need a paramedics license, as many of those being hired now as FF/EMT's have already gone through medic school. Although several departments still hire some FF/EMT's, I would imagine with the growing number of kids looking for jobs that have been through a Firefighter 1 Academy and are paramedics, a paramedics license may soon be the minimum standard for most of this region.

Thread Information