Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 384546474849505158 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Default academy

I also heard there was going to be a fall academy and the fire dept. was trying to move it up to september or october. The reason for this is because the candidates that were suppose to go into the July academy will be getting closer to the expiration of their interviews. I also was suppose to be in the July class. I live close to van nuys so I will be commuting from home. For those in the next class, where do you live and train??

Forum Member

Default Fall class

A fall class would be SWWWEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!! I live in Sherman Oaks so I will probably just commute, I have to go sign up for my CPAT it is up in September....

Forum Member

If anyone lives in the san fernando valley and wants to work out. Let me know, I wouldn't mind a workout partner.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in victorville, I plan on renting an apartment down there for the duration of the academy.

Forum Member

Just got back from the 2nd info session and for the most part they did repeat the same info from the first. Most of the info was for people just starting, though there were certain nuggets for those of us deeper in the process. In that regard, the most important thing was that the rumored Sept. tower is not happening due to the budget. There may be a tower somewhere between Nov-Jan, but of course nothing is certain. With that, we continue the waiting game.

In addition, I spoke with LAFD recruiting FF Lamorris Wilcher, and he wanted me to inform everyone that in the near future he is working on putting together a live question & answer session via the internet on multiple fire related forums. Give you more info when I have it.

Forum Member

sorry about the multiples...didn't know it posted
    Last edited by eno909; 07-27-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: accidental excessive posts

Forum Member

Last edited by eno909; 07-27-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Forum Member

good luck fellas. wish i was there. do this forum proud!

Forum Member

So hopefully there's someone out there that can answer this question...

With this current freeze thats on and those of us that have been cleared medically and are complete with the hiring process, how long is this list going to be good for? Do we need to be worried about our list expiring and being kicked to the curb if the freeze goes on for another 6 months??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBurk50 View Post
    So hopefully there's someone out there that can answer this question...

With this current freeze thats on and those of us that have been cleared medically and are complete with the hiring process, how long is this list going to be good for? Do we need to be worried about our list expiring and being kicked to the curb if the freeze goes on for another 6 months??
    I'm currently wait for the final panel decision/conditional offer, and what I was told is that we have 2 years from the date of our oral. Once that date is passed we are then kicked back to the oral stage and have to go through the rest of the process again.

Forum Member

Default Just a few questions from the new guy

Hey everyone,

I've been following the discussion for a while and just have to thank everyone for their open and helpful discussion on the hiring process.

There's a lot of info here and some of it is conflicting, so needless to say, I'm a little lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

I applied online in late May, before the June 5th cutoff, and haven't received word one way or the other. Should I contact this Recruiter LaMorris? I wonder why I haven't received any email invites to the informational sessions? Is there anyone else who is at my early stage in the process that has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snwlover79 View Post
    I live in victorville, I plan on renting an apartment down there for the duration of the academy.
    I live in Wrightwood.. I looked into apartments back for the July academy and alot of the apartment buildings down there have reasonable prices with 4-6 month loan terms. Once I get the final word.. I'll be looking down there again.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also found alot of reasonble priced places with short term leases. I am going to call the personal guy I have been bugging every week tommorow and find out if the september class is really off. I will post any news I hear on here tommorow.

eno909, what is this info session you are talking about?

Also, everyone who has been accepted and will hopefully be in the next academy, please post a note so we can all get to know each other and be better prepared to start the academy.

My name is Ben, Im 30 years old, I currently work for Cal Fire in San Diego. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you.

Forum Member

Default Reply July class recruits

Hi Ben, I was also called to the July class, add me to the friends list, I live in Sherman Oaks 10 minutes from 81's, keep me in the loop I check this forum everyday to see if there is any new news, Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by malibu3rd View Post
    Hi Ben, I was also called to the July class, add me to the friends list, I live in Sherman Oaks 10 minutes from 81's, keep me in the loop I check this forum everyday to see if there is any new news, Jeff
    Hey guys, I am hoping to be in the next tower. I was called by a background investigator who said I would get a call from personnel in the next few days, but then the news came out about them canceling the July class. So I am not totally sure, but assuming and training like I will be there. I am also in San Diego. For anyone else down here, I have been working out at Crossfit Socal and I love it. Send me a PM if you want any other information about it. I have family in Fullerton and Anaheim so I will probably commute from there at first and depending on how the drive goes look for another place. Good luck to everyone, Mike.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrdead View Post
    I applied online in late May, before the June 5th cutoff, and haven't received word one way or the other. Should I contact this Recruiter LaMorris?
    They've stopped testing until sometime in December/January (tentatively) if I'm not mistaken. You can send FF Wilcher an email, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell you the same unless something has changed in the last couple days. Contacting him wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snwlover79 View Post
    eno909, what is this info session you are talking about?
    Its basically an information/update meeting held at Hotchkin Memorial. The focus has been mostly on those early on in the process, such as new applicants, ppl who may/may not have tested, those who have passed the test but haven't had their oral and those at the start of backgrounds. So far there haven't been a great many ppl that I've seen who have passed backgrounds, final panel, medical, or who have been assigned to a tower (and had it canceled), but there are a few.

I'm not sure why emails don't go out to some. A friend who is at the same level in the process as myself received an email for the 1st one, but not for the 2nd. Maybe that's a question for FF Wilcher could possibly answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

I talked to Ronald in personal and he said he still hasn't heard any update on the academy. He says he knows as much as us applicants. He doesn't believe there will be a september academy just because it is so close and they would need to inform people and do orientation and all that. He told me to call him back in two weeks to see if he has heard anything. Lets all just keep our fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Default Status

Ok ,all out there I just called personnel and I got some insight. I asked: 1. When is the next academy and how many people would be in it? 2. How many people where promised jobs but did not get into an academy? 3. Would the current people in the process have there expiration date on there orals extended due to the temporary freeze?

Answer:
    1. Personnel is in the dark as much as us. That fact has been confermed by many people on this forum. I did get the feeling ,although, that they are planning one academy before 2010 begins. I asked if personnel had heard if they plan to continue the freeze until well into 2010 and I recieved no confrimation of that fact. I also asked if the Fire department is still planning to hire 150 firefighters every year per the Mayor's 2009-2010 budjet, which was a cut from the 250 per yr. pace that the department was on. The response I received was that the news changes every day. This is a dynamic time in which the budjet for the fire department is in constant flux.

2. According to the personel department 3 academies where cancelled last year each holding 50 people. The personel department assured me that not 150 people where promised an academy last year that did not recieve the opportunity. Some of the applicants where repeats that did not get into an academy and got reassigned to a later date. Assuming a worst case scenario, slightly less than 150 people are waiting to get into the next academy.If the LAFD keeps the promise of putting on three academy's a year for the next three years the 150 applicants fully though the process waiting to get into an academy will take one year. For those waiting to go through backgrounds ect. you have at least a year before you get the call to join the LAFD. I did my initial background packet in April 2009 so I figure the earliest i would get to go to an academy would be 2011.

3. Well some bad news! The LAFD, as on now, has decided that they will not extend the orall dates of the current people in the process beyond the 2 yr. timeline that is standard. So for those of you fully done with the process waiting for the next academy that is bad news. Hopefully you will get to an academy before your oral expires 2 yrs. from the interview date. My oral expires April 2011. I hope I get the chance to get into an academy before then. If I had fully gone through the hiring process and recieved a commitment of hiring I would push the department strongly to get extensions on the 2 yr. expiration of the oral. otherwise you are back in the process.

I hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default great info

That was a lot of good info. My oral expires May of next year. All I can hope is I can get into an academy in the next 10 months. I hope everyone keeps on hounding LA for info and passing it on in these forums.
    Keep up the good work.

Thread Information