Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Default Fiscal year budget 2012-2013 has been approved, however...

The budget was approved by the city council last week, however, it seems that recruitment and hiring will not be until next year (2013-2014).

From the local media:

"The council also voted to eliminate $279,000 the mayor’s office had set aside for firefighter recruitment efforts. The Los Angeles Fire Department will hire 150 new firefighters in fiscal year 2013-14. The department has identified 17,000 people who are interested in joining the department.

Fire Chief Brian Cummings testified that recruitment efforts should focus on making the Los Angeles Fire Department more diverse.

“Without targeted recruitment, we do not get the diversity that we need in our applicant pool,” Cummings said.

“If we do nothing, looking at the numbers, the raw numbers that we have right now, we know we will be seriously challenged with diversity issues as we go through the hiring process.”

If that proves to be true, money could be added back into the budget later on in the fiscal year, Krekorian said.

“Rather than setting aside that quarter of a million dollars now, let’s take a look to see as that hiring process begins whether that large backlog pool of applicants will allow them to achieve the diversity goals that they should have,” he said. "

There is a rumor of application period to begin this August. Has anybody heard the same?

Forum Member

For everyone reading this thread, I'm sure that 17000 number is pretty accurate and will rise once the word gets out that they got the ok now. Just remember that you know what you bring to the table and your background. In the end you know if you'll be there fighting for a job. I'm sure other FF on this thread that have been through big hiring process can agree with this or atleast know what I'm trying to say.

Forum Member

Check out the new recruiting web site www.joinlafd.org

Here is a boomer for us out of towners: we'll need a valid CA DL at the time of application. Check out the FAQS, especifically mentions that an out of state DL does not meet the minimum requirement.

So far, that is the only change I can see. I was able to apply with my out of state DL in the past...

Keep in touch.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also noticed that, but if you look under the "Join Our Team" tab and then under "Requirements" it says that a CA drivers license is required at time of APPOINTMENT. I'll call or email a recruiter tomorrow to clear this up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I also noticed that, but if you look under the "Join Our Team" tab and then under "Requirements" it says that a CA drivers license is required at time of APPOINTMENT. I'll call or email a recruiter tomorrow to clear this up.

This is very strange.
    It does say appointment....and that's usually the case for most departments. But I guess we'll see. I will be extremely disappointed if this is the case. Post up here after you call HR.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Forum Member

I know when I applied to Ventura County (I'm from out of state) they originally had the same requirement of a CA only license and when I questioned it, the HR lady mentioned that LA City did the same thing. They ended up changing that though. My fingers are also crossed that it's only by appointment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys and gals, I spoke to someone in hr who asked management in regards to this issue and was informed that a CA drivers license is required at time of APPOINTMENT. Hope this clears things up.
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

Thank you guys.

I also contacted HR and received the same response: at the time of appointment.

Have any locals heard anything other than the scheduled CPAT practices?

Any of you guys attending on July 21st/28th ?

Forum Member

Forum Member

Default proposed timeline of the future hiring process with LAFD

Information recently posted on the internet by a recruiter from LAFD

"The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) will test later this year for the “Entry Level Firefighter” Position. As of today pending on the budget it looks like LAFD will do the following:

• Hire approximately 210 - 230 Firefighters (+ or -)
    • Open the application process in the October 2012 time frame.
    • Written exam will be in November or December 2012.
    • Interview process will be in January or Feb
    ruary 2013.
    •The LAFD Fire Academy will start in September 2013 approx 60-70 Firefighters per class, total of 4 classes.
    • LAFD will hire approx 100 firefighters or hire per attrition each year after. (pending budget)
    • LAFD will test every 2-3 years after the 2012 written exam.
    (pending budget)

Note: Info can change I just want you to start getting your calendar ready and let your family know what the process looks like. AGAIN things can change."
    skitahoe and dltaFFF like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by enginetercera View Post
    Information recently posted on the internet by a recruiter from LAFD

"The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) will test later this year for the “Entry Level Firefighter” Position. As of today pending on the budget it looks like LAFD will do the following:

• Hire approximately 210 - 230 Firefighters (+ or -)
    • Open the application process in the October 2012 time frame.
    • Written exam will be in November or December 2012.
    • Interview process will be in January or Feb
    ruary 2013.
    •The LAFD Fire Academy will start in September 2013 approx 60-70 Firefighters per class, total of 4 classes.
    • LAFD will hire approx 100 firefighters or hire per attrition each year after. (pending budget)
    • LAFD will test every 2-3 years after the 2012 written exam.
    (pending budget)

Note: Info can change I just want you to start getting your calendar ready and let your family know what the process looks like. AGAIN things can change."
    By any chance would you happen to remember what website you saw this on? I tried looking, but couldn't find it. Thanks

Forum Member

Hello-

I went to the LAFD Recruitment Shop they held at 0900 on 08/18/12 with Firefighter-Recruiter LaMorris Wilcher speaking. Recruiter Wilcher is a great guy and very funny, in addition very informational and helpful. It was awesome, learned a lot about the recruitment process and LAFD. They will be hiring 260-270 and will start the hiring process this October. They hope to have the test out by November or December, but due to holidays written might be in January. First academy around this time in 2013 with 3 to follow. Total of an initial 4 academies with 60-70 per academy. Need your EMT, D.L., & CPAT at time of interview, but better to have prior to application. You may get away with EMT until later if you prove you are in the process, not sure though. They will continue to hire after the 4 academies as needed when personal retire as a continuous basis. They also gave us a lot of info on the interview, written test, backgrounds, and other little bits of info. I can't give out all the secrets. lol If they have another recruitment shop, I recommend you going if you are interested in working for the best Fire Department in the nation. He stressed to get your CPAT asap, start working out, practice interviewing, and get your backgrounds together. Good luck to all, I wish the best to you.

Forum Member

I wrote it below, same info which came from the LAFD Recruitment Shop on 08/18 last weekend at LAFD Frank Hotchkin Memorial Training Center. Very good workshop with lots of info. I posted a little of what was said to us, most of the same as above. Good luck.

Forum Member

Is this California EMT-1 or is NREMT-B acceptable. Also for CPAT will a national testing network CPAT suffice? Spill the beans for those of us who work out of town
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I was not able to make it to the recruitment seminar. Was there any word on people who were in the academy in 09 that was canceled. I have heard different rumors about whether we have to start completely over from the beginning or if we jump in at the interview step. Any info from people at the seminar or people who were in the canceled 09 academy would be great.
    Ben

Forum Member

CPAT must be accredited by IAFF. They have the approved list of institutions on their web site. Yes. NTN it is approved and valid. I believe to get CA EMT-1 you need to apply through the county, in this situation would be Los Angeles. Look at their requirements, however, I was told that NREMT-B it is fine.

Thank you for posting the updates about the seminars. I will not be able to make it to any of them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mac22r View Post
    I recommend you going if you are interested in working for the best Fire Department in the nation. He stressed to get your CPAT asap, start working out, practice interviewing, and get your backgrounds together. Good luck to all, I wish the best to you.
    You're a funny guy. LOL

Forum Member

New to the thread...

Does anyone have the link to what the requirements are for entry level FF with LAFD?

Thanks to those sharing information from the workshops and seminars! Its all really great stuff thanks! And keep it coming please!
    Last edited by ctarkir; 08-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

If you read the whole thread, you'll find what you need to get started.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just renewed my CPAT. So is the application filing period still set to open in October? I am excited for this opportunity, can't wait.

Forum Member

Guys as an East Coaster, how often does LAFD require you work the BLS ambulance? Just curious? Is it once a month, once a shift period, or never? I'd ask on a station visit but as mentioned before, I'm a East Coaster.

Forum Member

As a follow up to the above question, are ALS providers ambulance only, or do they rotate between suppression pieces and the medic unit?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am wondering the same. Am hoping to do a station visit before or after the written or before the oral board. Am coming from out of town, so if any locals know the answer to the above question, feel free to chime in. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by marbuckle View Post
    you must do time on the RA before you can bid for an engine or truck medic spot.
    What if your hired as an EMT? Do you have to put in time on a BLS ambulance? Or does that apply for Medics only? Thanks!

Forum Member

Ok called recruitment and asked. The lady who was of great help informed me that it was depending on the station you were assigned to, meaning you'd rotate between ambulance, truck, and engine depending on the needs of the station and it happens about 25-50% the time.

She also mentioned that during probation you'd be assigned to three different stations which is interesting but pretty cool all the same. I know if I had a choice it be 27 for truck, 33 for engine, and 9 for BLS (even though I'd shoot myself).

Thread Information