+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 49 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

  1. #101
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JLam77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    hey jlam quick question. On the backgound packet where it ask for references, how come they want only people only within 10 years of your age???
    They're looking for your peers. They don't care that your elderly Aunt Edna thinks you're a good boy.
    And do u think it would be a good idea to contact my past employers to let them know someone maybe contacting them???
    Ya think?

  2. #102
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Congrats JLam! That must be an incredible feeling..going into one of the most largest and highly respected departments in the Nation. Hopefully, I won't be too far behind. Finishing my Field Investigation as we type. Then the waiting game.

    Good luck!

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddbizkitt03 View Post
    What is the passing score on the written portion?
    It is pass/fail w/ a 70% passing score i believe.

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeateus View Post
    Hey great news! Congrats on getting this far. I'm still waiting to hear from my background investigator. My personal questionnaires went out to my references last week. How long was your field investigation?
    Eyeateus,

    I just received my letter stating my investigation was completed and I'm moving on to the Final Panel Review. My BI took 4 weeks. How are you coming along with your BI? Sounds like we could be in the same drill tower if we get through the process.

    I have a feeling these next several weeks will be the longest of my life!

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Lafd Process

    I received my letter a week ago saying that i have gone forward to final panel review and this will take up to 4-6 weeks. Then (fingers crossed) i will be scheduled for med & psych. I heard that there is an academy in San Pedro in Aug and then Van Nuys in Dec. I live on the border of LA & Ventura county so obviously Dec would be soooooo much better, traffic and time wise!! But i know im in no situation to give a preference...so i will just sit back and let what will be, be.

    I also heard that the academy runs mon, tue, thurs and fri (with wednesady off to recuperate) can someone confirm this for me.

    Also, i do not know anyone in the Fire Dept so if anyone is able to give any tidbits of info such as daily life in the academy or how to prepare (im taking classes now in fire behav & combustion and also in Building Construction, plus working my *** off fitness wise) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  5. #105
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    Eyeateus,

    I just received my letter stating my investigation was completed and I'm moving on to the Final Panel Review. My BI took 4 weeks. How are you coming along with your BI? Sounds like we could be in the same drill tower if we get through the process.

    I have a feeling these next several weeks will be the longest of my life!
    Yeah, same here. I got my letter of completion on the 16th, so I'm hoping for an answer from the final panel in the next few weeks. I'm nervous and excited! Rumor has it that the next drill tower is in San Pedro and starts somewhere near the end of September. The one after that is in Panorama City around the first week of December. I heard they take about 45 recruits in SP and 60 in PC. So, we'll see what happens.

    Hey, good luck Emmex...let me know how things turn out for you and I'll keep you posted on my progress

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    i have a few question i'm serving in Iraq right now with the Marine Corps and my contract is nearing it's completion. I am really interested in becoming a fireifghter when I get out. But I have a few questions, what is the waiting list right now to become a fulltime firefighter? what's the average one has to wait to be accepted in the fire academy and what is the process?

  7. #107
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default waiting game

    Hi Everyone,
    does anybody know the success rate of being offered a job after you've completed your field investigation, with no major black marks against my name? my investigator rang me today and said that he had completed my packet and turned it in. i realize its a waiting game now, but i was curious to know if a lot of people get rejected from this point if your background is clean and EMT qualified? or am i in a good position to be offered a job.

  8. #108
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default a good chance?

    hi guys,

    my background invest just completed my packet and handed it in. Was wondering if anybody knows the probablitity of getting offered a job from this point on. as long as you have a clean background, are you most likely going to be offered a job? also, I've heard a rumor that since LA City fire has been going thru a hiring phase, that they now have a large amount of "qualified" people and they are becoming very picky on who is being offered jobs. Any comments on this? any insight would be great. thanks and good luck to everyone...

  9. #109
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g301082 View Post
    I also heard that the academy runs mon, tue, thurs and fri (with wednesady off to recuperate) can someone confirm this for me.

    Also, i do not know anyone in the Fire Dept so if anyone is able to give any tidbits of info such as daily life in the academy or how to prepare (im taking classes now in fire behav & combustion and also in Building Construction, plus working my *** off fitness wise) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I have not heard of getting Wednesday's off. As far as I know, Academy is Mon - Fri. 6:30 am to 3:30 pm with remedial training afterwards and on saturdays.

    As far as preparation, there's not much to do besides getting in great shape which it sounds like you are doing. Unless you have been through an academy already or volunteer with a department, the manipulative side of the Academy is hard to prepare for. I am guessing they will teach from the IFSTA Essentials book. Try and get your hands on that book and study it beforehand. Even if they don't use it, it has so much good basic information that will be helpful for any new FF.

  10. #110
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
    i have a few question i'm serving in Iraq right now with the Marine Corps and my contract is nearing it's completion. I am really interested in becoming a fireifghter when I get out. But I have a few questions, what is the waiting list right now to become a fulltime firefighter? what's the average one has to wait to be accepted in the fire academy and what is the process?
    I don't know what you mean by waiting list but there is a flux of testing going on right now with all of the baby-boomer generation FF's retiring. Each department's hiring process is different but generally, expect the entire process from application to hire be about a year. You'll have an advantage with many processes with your military background. With LAFD, they give you 5 points vet credit to your oral score.

    As far as an academy, don't know abouth other states but if you go to a CA state accredited academy you have to have completed a basic fire 101 course in college as well as have obtained your emt license. Some have better luck getting in by volunteering at a department and having them sponsor you for the academy. So it's not like you just sign up and get in...everything about getting in the fire service is competitive.

    Now is the time to get into the fire service. But my advice to anyone trying to get in can be summarized with one word. Competency.

    Good luck!

  11. #111

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I don't know what you mean by waiting list but there is a flux of testing going on right now with all of the baby-boomer generation FF's retiring. Each department's hiring process is different but generally, expect the entire process from application to hire be about a year. You'll have an advantage with many processes with your military background. With LAFD, they give you 5 points vet credit to your oral score.

    As far as an academy, don't know abouth other states but if you go to a CA state accredited academy you have to have completed a basic fire 101 course in college as well as have obtained your emt license. Some have better luck getting in by volunteering at a department and having them sponsor you for the academy. So it's not like you just sign up and get in...everything about getting in the fire service is competitive.

    Now is the time to get into the fire service. But my advice to anyone trying to get in can be summarized with one word. Competency.

    Good luck!


    the reason i ask about the waiting list is because a few buddies of mine have family that where about to go to fire tech school and they where told to be a fulltime firefighter there's a waiting list to get in a station

  12. #112
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10

    Smile

    I just got my background packet after my interview on Wed the 30th. I have a background interview on the 21st of August. Does anyone have any info on about how long the process could be from this point? I figure at least six months. Thank you for any info and good luck to all.

  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemanwood View Post
    I just got my background packet after my interview on Wed the 30th. I have a background interview on the 21st of August. Does anyone have any info on about how long the process could be from this point? I figure at least six months. Thank you for any info and good luck to all.
    You figured about right. From what I gather, the process time varies from person to person. It took me about 3-4 weeks to hear back from the initial panel after my background interview. Then another 4-6 weeks to hear from my background investigator. It took another 4 weeks to do my field investigation and now back to the waiting game from the final panel. I've been waitng about 2 weeks now and expect to be waiting at least another 2-4 weeks. Good luck and remember to be patient!

  14. #114
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    It seems that they are moving much quicker than they used to. I guess the time used to vary a lot more. Some people had the whole process take 1.5-2 years I guess. I got tossed after the Initial Panel, but that took only about 3-4 months from written until then. I did my oral and my background in one day because I came from Milwaukee, but that's still only about a month difference.

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    So after your background interview do you wait for a phone call or a letter in the mail to see if u made it past the Initial Panel Review?

  16. #116
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkfiremedic View Post
    So after your background interview do you wait for a phone call or a letter in the mail to see if u made it past the Initial Panel Review?
    Yep. I think it took about 1.5 months until I got my letter.

  17. #117
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Oooo ok sounds good! Ya its been about 3 Weeks since my background interview. Ive never been so excited/nervous running to the mail box everyday!

  18. #118
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Heres my timeline thus far:
    -Application: 4/16/08
    -Test:5/17/08
    -Interview: 6/18/08
    -Initial Background:7/10/08

    The background packet will essentially consist of EVERYTHING about you.(all adresses,imm. fam.,tattoos,all jobs etc.)

    On the initial you answer a 167 question document.

    Then you play the waiting game until you hear(or get rejected) from an investigator.

  19. #119
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    xsheenx I have the same exact timeline as you, just waiting for the next letter from Initial Panel.

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
    the reason i ask about the waiting list is because a few buddies of mine have family that where about to go to fire tech school and they where told to be a fulltime firefighter there's a waiting list to get in a station
    I assume you're referring to a hiring list. You are put on this list only after you have applied and successfully passed the written portion and scored high enough on your oral interview. Then you are placed on the eligible hiring list after that. The way these hiring lists work is they categorize you into bands, usually 3 (A band, B band, C band). As they have openings, they go down the list and see who is still available and those lucky individuals continue on through the hiring process.

  21. #121

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I assume you're referring to a hiring list. You are put on this list only after you have applied and successfully passed the written portion and scored high enough on your oral interview. Then you are placed on the eligible hiring list after that. The way these hiring lists work is they categorize you into bands, usually 3 (A band, B band, C band). As they have openings, they go down the list and see who is still available and those lucky individuals continue on through the hiring process.

    so how long do these usually take?

  22. #122
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    How long it takes depends on the department. Some dept.s open positions to meet a specific academy date. Others are more structured.

    For example, a small municipal dept. will open hiring and try to hire candidates soon enough to put them through a larger department's academy that is coming up. (Like National City hiring 3 guys to put them through San Diego City's academy) Sometimes this process can be as quick as 3-5 months.

    LAFD on the other hand is much more structured. They have 2 drill towers (academy sites) and have roughly 40-60 recruits per academy. They have open application filing which means they are continuously testing/hiring. Right now, LAFD's process takes around one year from application to hire. I hear it is less for women.

    So usually, the larger the department, the longer the process since they have to go through so many candidates.

    Good luck.

  23. #123
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    XsheenX you hear anything yet from initial panel????

  24. #124

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I received my letter saying that I had gone through to final panel review approx 4 weeks ago. It said that the process takes up to 4-6 weeks...does anyone know if this is the case or if it is a lot longer? I'm hoping to make the December Academy.

  25. #125
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g301082 View Post
    I received my letter saying that I had gone through to final panel review approx 4 weeks ago. It said that the process takes up to 4-6 weeks...does anyone know if this is the case or if it is a lot longer? I'm hoping to make the December Academy.
    It seems like you and I are on the same timeline. I received my letter about 5 weeks ago. If you read back a few pages a member by the name of JLam got through the entire process and is in the Drill Tower as we speak. He got his call 9 weeks after his Final Panel Review Letter. Waiting is the hardest part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 49 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 10-18-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 08:57 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 04-21-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2002, 07:49 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-26-01
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2001, 03:43 PM
  4. LAFD HazMat Investigation - June 16
    By webteam in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2001, 12:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register