Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 404748495051525360 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1216
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Default Pot of Gold

Well, I hope the LAFD finds their pot of gold and ramp up hiring later this year!

Forum Member

Default Hope?

Looks like the expeted attrition rate of firefighters through 2010 should be about 120 per year. At the current rate of hiring the department will be short 70 firefighters per year if this keeps up. In order to maintain current staffing at the current brownout status I know they will have to break down and hire more! sheck this article out: http://www.firegeezer.com/2009/08/10/lafd-brownouts/

Forum Member

Apologize for the same message twice
    Last edited by Member81; 08-11-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Wrote twice

Forum Member

Default how many medics

How many of you guys are paramedics that are advancing through the background updates. Does anyone know what the criteria is for making the next academy.

Forum Member

Default EMT Training

Since it's pretty safe to assume that there won't be any action for me until at least late 2010, I figured this is a good time to get started with my EMT certifications. Can anyone suggest a class in the Los Angeles area?

if your willing to share, I'd also like to hear about your experiences and your recommendations with the whole process.

TIA,

Dead

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrdead View Post
    Since it's pretty safe to assume that there won't be any action for me until at least late 2010, I figured this is a good time to get started with my EMT certifications. Can anyone suggest a class in the Los Angeles area?

if your willing to share, I'd also like to hear about your experiences and your recommendations with the whole process.

TIA,

Dead
    North valley Occupation has a pretty good program.. I would also recommend jumping on an ambulance after to get some hands on. Plus a lot of the things you learn from the book will make more sense..Then if you have the time and can afford it a Ca FF1 academy..
    Good luck to you

Forum Member

awesome, thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

Dead

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Background update

Did anyone have their background update appointment today? I am going tomorrow and just wondering what to expect.

Forum Member

Default Background Update

Same here. Got my update tomorrow...any news from anyone who went today?

Forum Member

Default Background update

Hey SGobba, I have an appointment tomorrow too.

I heard they may do an interview again, and make us fill out that long question sheet again.. Thats only hear say, so hopefully if anyone went today, they could clear that up for us.

Has anyone heard about what the next step may be after the background is updated?

Quote Originally Posted by sgobba View Post
    Did anyone have their background update appointment today? I am going tomorrow and just wondering what to expect.

Forum Member

Default Background Update

Had my update today, only to find out that they still have no idea of what the time frame is for this group. Good news is everyone is in the system for another year. I guess its stand by to stand by

Forum Member

Default Background update.

Thank you for the information. What do you mean by everyone is in the system for another year?

Forum Member

Default Stand By?

What is the word on the Stand by status? I am a little confused?

Forum Member

Default Updates

What I meant by everyone is in the system for another year, according to the girl who does the finger printing, she said the reason for re-fingerprinting was because the info is erased after being in the system for one year.
    This is all new to me, but according to some other people who already work for LAFD, the never had to do updates, so maybe they have plans for this group. But this is all speculation. Good luck to all of you.

Forum Member

Default Updates

Does this mean they are going to extend the oral interview 2 year deadline another year?

Forum Member

Default Updates

I wish I could answer that question, but I have no idea. And to be honest, I coulndt get much info when I was at my update from either the ladies at the front desk or the background coordinaters. I guess just ask as many people as possible and maybe someone will get lucky with some information. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

I dont think the city can afford to have your applications expire and then start retesting to create another pool of candidates. It makes more sense for them to just keep doing background updates to see if any of you have and major changes (dui, arrest, credit issues etc) Plus if you already pass the written and oral, why waste city funds making you do it again? I think those that are getting these updates are in a good position for the next tower but like they said there no guarantee.. Just make sure you keep your emt and cpat up to date and be ready when the call comes!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Member81 View Post
    What I meant by everyone is in the system for another year, according to the girl who does the finger printing, she said the reason for re-fingerprinting was because the info is erased after being in the system for one year.
    This is all new to me, but according to some other people who already work for LAFD, the never had to do updates, so maybe they have plans for this group. But this is all speculation. Good luck to all of you.

Im sure the girl who does the finger printing was assuming information. Background investigations for the city of LA are valid for 1 year. I am making an assumption that most of you individuals who attended the Update Background had your investigations completed or worked on within the months of Sept 08 to Feb 09.

Refreshing your background ( mid - august 2009 ) will make your BACKGROUND valid for one more year. They plan on a late 09 or early 10 single academy. Those of you who would be brought into this class without a refresher would expire within the background expiration time. The personnel dept. is just preplanning you individuals to make an academy happen with the qualified individuals on the list ( you guys and gals in the background update ).

Quote Originally Posted by dm3811 View Post
    Does this mean they are going to extend the oral interview 2 year deadline another year?
    This is the other issue. Although a background will be refreshed, it is only refreshed to insure you individuals are still suitable and to update your background expiration date for an additional year, however, you MUST as of right now, be within 2 years of your Oral interview date to be hired.

The city has extended dates on civil service exams before to offer those individuals who have made it so far in the process to eventually be hired. I would not be surprised if the 2 year interview expiration date is lifted in the near future, especially due to the closing of Firefighter for the City of Los Angeles.

There are lots of decisions to be made from now and then, but good luck to you all in the update, I have high hopes for you all.

Forum Member

Question to anyone that knows.

Is the LAFD completely not going to be accepting applications for the next year or so, possibly longer? It seems as if everyone who got their apps in are going through the process and there is a long list of potential academy recruits. Have they stopped the application process altogether for a few years? Or will they open it back up when the next academy goes through?

Forum Member

Last i heard was the city was opening the application process in december. The city is also having brown outs because of budget cuts.

Thread Information