Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34350515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1216
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

sorry i posted it 3 times didn't think it went through and tried to erase them but could'nt figure out how.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got ahold of personnel today and they said they had not heard about the academy being canceled, so that is two departments now that haven't heard about the academy being canceled.

Miller and Irish, I am curious where you got this info that the academy had been canceled.

I still wont feel comfortable that it hasn't been canceled until January 4th when I am walking on the tower property ready to start my career. At least for the moment, we all still have hope.

I am still trying to find somebody to work Saturday for me so I can attend the orientation. Hopefully I will make it. Who else plans on being there?

Forum Member

Man so good to hear. I know that anything is possible from now until january but it is a relief. I wonder where they got their info from too. I will be there saturday for sure.

Forum Member

Default Saturday orientation

Any word on what to wear for Saturday?

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone making progress. I hope I hear something before Oct 2010.

Forum Member

Default Saturday Workout

At the orientation the staff said to wear workout clothes and shoes. Bring food and water for breaks. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snwlover79 View Post

Miller and Irish, I am curious where you got this info that the academy had been canceled.

I still wont feel comfortable that it hasn't been canceled until January 4th when I am walking on the tower property ready to start my career.
    Trust me you wont be walking in on your first day..

I think those guys heard through the grapevine.. anything can happen just keep your fingers cross!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lol, you are probaly right, I won't be walking anywhere. I expect it to be like my first day of marine corps bootcamp. Maybe a little less in your face then my drill instructors, but who knows.

My fngers are definatly crossed.

I won't be able to make this orientation. I work for cal fire and they just canceled all days off. I look forward to hearing what it was like from people who make it.

Forum Member

Default Background

Has everyone who updated their background in August been contacted by an investigator?

I was called to update my info, but haven't been contacted by an investigator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JOGEHRIG View Post
    Has everyone who updated their background in August been contacted by an investigator?

I was called to update my info, but haven't been contacted by an investigator.
    I went to the update in August, but haven't heard anything from an investigator either.

Forum Member

I was contacted by a background investigator but I believe the only reason why was because I moved after I did my first background check. So I think the only reason why an investigator would have contacted you would be if anything changed in your background since the first one. Have you been invited to the training sessions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by roblesage View Post
    I was contacted by a background investigator but I believe the only reason why was because I moved after I did my first background check. So I think the only reason why an investigator would have contacted you would be if anything changed in your background since the first one. Have you been invited to the training sessions?
    Yeah, I will be there on Saturday. I didn't have any background changes, so you might be right about that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgobba View Post
    Yeah, I will be there on Saturday. I didn't have any background changes, so you might be right about that.
    Yeah, that does make sense. I didn't have any changes to my background either. I was invited to the training sessions too, but I work thurs, fri ,sat, so I won't be able to make this one, i took off for Nov one though.

Forum Member

Default Info

Quote Originally Posted by snwlover79 View Post
    I got ahold of personnel today and they said they had not heard about the academy being canceled, so that is two departments now that haven't heard about the academy being canceled.

I still wont feel comfortable that it hasn't been canceled until January 4th when I am walking on the tower property ready to start my career. At least for the moment, we all still have hope.

I am still trying to find somebody to work Saturday for me so I can attend the orientation. Hopefully I will make it. Who else plans on being there?
    I am sorry I did not mean to put a damper on anyones hopes. I too am hoping everyone gets through to the academy. That means my turn will come up sooner. Anyway, I had an old reqruitment flyer and I called the LA City Personnel number at (213) 473-9060 to find out info about the next acadamey. I was told it got canceled. I think it is a case of one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Up to this point the personell department would not even confirm to me that academy was possibly coming up but that is probably because I am so far down on the list that they do not want to get my hopes up. I hope that answers your question.

Forum Member

Guys you will hear alot of mumbo jumbo from now until your start date.

The City is in a huge problem right now, they are even talking about shutting down LAPD recruitment and even furloughing of their officers.

The problem here is that the CITY needs to fill to attrition because they are loosing guys like crazy to the DROP program. At least 8 a month for Fire and even more for LAPD.

If you want good info find out when the council meetings, personnel committee, and public safety committee plan on meeting to talk about the Fire Academy because they will!

The only people you can get a true answer is from top brass, I mean like Number 1,2,3 Deputy Chiefs (Anything other than this is junk info) on the LAFD and Margaret Whelan.

Good luck guys

Forum Member

snwlover79, don't buy into any rumors that float around. Millertime probably heard something through the grapevine here which is pretty much unreliable info. Like popo said, unless it comes straight from the Chief of Recruitment and Training don't buy it. Rumors fly like gnats around here and 90% of them turn out to be bogus. Tuesday I heard they are eliminating our Holidays. Today, it's furlough days.

Your best bet is to stay proactive in your day to days, keep active in whatever fire activity you have going and your number will be called soon enough. Good luck to all of you guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks emmex510, I will do just that. Luckily I work for Cal Fire so I am able to stay in tip top shape and be prepared for the academy when it finally rolls around. I am just keeping a postive attitude and the fact that they had the orientation today is a good sign that all is well, for the time being.

Unfortunatly I had to work today so I didn't get to go to the orientation. For the people that did go, please give us your impressions of how the event went. I am working on getting someone to cover my shift for me for the next event. Hope to see you all there.
    Ben

Forum Member

Default havent heard anything new

whats up guys...i haven't heard any new reports on what is going on with the latest DT...the info i got was while i was at work, during lineup. like you guys said, nothing is set in stone, was just passing on the info i had heard, i know what it was like to be in your shoes, i was only there about 10mths ago. i'm praying that more class's start up soon because i dont wanna be the rookie for ever!

if you guys have any questions on anything, feel free to send me an email, i still check this forum from time to time, i'd like to help out in any way i can

best of luck

MembersZone Subscriber

I would love to get into this tower so i can take over your rookie spot. i have a question about housing during the academy. did you rent and apartment for the duration of the tower?

Forum Member

Get back to work Millah!

A lot of guys in the tower moved here from out of town or from areas too far to drive. 5 of the guys in our Tower rented an apartment together and I moved in with my parents for 4 months. The closer you are to the tower, the more time you have to study.

Good luck guys.

Thread Information