+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 54552535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1216
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

I got the bad news also, what a bummer.

Default C-pat expiring ?

If I am in the process (had my interview early in 09 and my initial bg in feb/march 09).....just waiting like everyone else. Never got a call or any correspondence via mail. My C-Pat is expiring this month and I plan on running thru the course again, but don't have the money to do it before my current one expires.

Will this cause any issues for me?

Thanks!!
    Intheprocess

Luke 16:10

Forum Member

Smile

It is a good idea contact personnel on that one. They may be able give you time to get you cpat done, especially because everythings on hold.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Hi All, The rumor is there will be 3 Fire Academy classes 4 LA City starting in July in the next fiscal yr, there will be 50 in each class"

lafdrecruiter on twitter

Forum Member

Default List

Does anyone know how to find out where you stand on the eligibility list? I did my oral and got a 100% in April and I also did my background initial panel review. I was wondering if I even had a shot at getting into the July Academy.

Forum Member

Default Some Info

So I called personell and I got some helpful info. I got to the initial panel review but the initial panel review was not conducted before they stopped the hiring process. I asked if there was a way to determine how far back I was on the hiring list. I was told that I was not on any list because I was not givin a conditional offer of employment as a firefighter. In order to get a conditional offer I would have had to of gone througth the entire process down to the medical/phsycological evaluation.

So the only people that will be offered the oportunity to go to an academy will be people that have gone through the whole process. The "process" is not moving forward for the time being. That being said I was told that about 7 to 8,000 people are ahead of me. My interview expires April 2011. The only way most of us will have a shot of geting to an academy will be if the backgound investgators are hired again and the process is reinstated. I think the only way that will happen is if all the preceeding applicants interviews expire? Does anyone have an opinion about it? Let me know.

Default some info con't...

In my opinion the best place to get information is from probies at LAFD stations. From talking with them they said 7,000 to 8,000 qualified candidates is way too high.

A firefighter from Station 15 told me these numbers when discussing the hiring process. "About 8,000 to 10,000 test with the department during open testing. Of these 8,000 to 10,000, around a quarter of them, 2,500 have their CPAT, and of these 2,500 around 1,000 to 1,500 have their EMT Cert. From there, about half, 750 get a 95-100 on their interview. These are the candidates with a realistic chance. Based on this I would guess around 500 to 750 candidates are qualified to be selected for the July Academies, 150 recruits."

As for July 2011 - June 2012 AND July 2012 - June 2013, I would guess LAFD will have about 5 classes per each of these fiscal years. This is because a lot of LAFD firefighters are due to retire right now but are not retiring because of there being no current academies. Also, many firefighters will be due to retire in the coming years. This may seem like a lot of classes, but this equals out to about 650 recruits, 13 classes from July 2010 - June 2013, or about 18% of LAFD force.

Lastly, obviously it doesn't guarantee hiring, but I have met many LAFD firefighters who have been hired recently with one of two things, often times both of them. 1) A Bachelor's Degree and/or 2) A Paramedic License

Forum Member

Thanks that was very informative!

Forum Member

Default Recruit classes for 2010-11

Here is the information supporting the three recruit class for the Budget 2010-2011.
    The report # is BFC 09-142 listed under the link: http://www.lafd.org/agenda.htm.
    The budget still needs to be approved by the Mayor's office.

Default 2010 is here

We are still waiting...

I am coming up one a year that i went to my first background interview (february), any one else in that same time frame? What month?
    Intheprocess

Luke 16:10

Forum Member

Default same time frame

I took my by first background April 2009. Still waiting!

Forum Member

I also did my background interview in February 2009. The question is, after the BGI were you contacted by an investigator? I was not. I talked to recruitment and was told no news is good news but I'm obviously still not far along in the process. My CPAT expired and was told that isn't a big deal but that my interview will expire in January of 2011.

Forum Member

Default LAPD transfer

I am on the current LAFD list. If I took a position as a LAPD Police Officer would it hurt my chances of getting hired as LAFD firefighter?

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dm3811 View Post
    I am on the current LAFD list. If I took a position as a LAPD Police Officer would it hurt my chances of getting hired as LAFD firefighter?
    You know, thats a good question. You hear lots about NYPD guys that bail out for the FDNY. I know a lot of guys that are on LAFD, but none that were cops.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I was on the list for the July 2009 academy. Obviously was postponed till Jan. 4th..which got cancelled as well. I called personnel last week.. (I'm sure everyone gets a different story.. but here is my end.) I asked if it was worth getting another CPAT since they can't get the budget in order.. This lady said everyone in our class was getting expired and has to start from scratch. I don't believe this but either way I hit my 2 year oral interview date this March. To confirm this, I contacted a person high in the chain.. that always used to give me accurate information on upcoming dates..(wont display his name, but if you were chosen for previous classes, you know who it is). He told me that HR has a written statement to tell all people in our class. That statement was about being expired.

Like I said, I don't know how true this can be, and some of you may hate me for posting it... but they said I have now been expired and am welcome to reapply.

Hope this isn't the same news everyone in our class is getting.. good luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am in the same boat you are, July and January academy canceled. I expire in May. The information I have gathered sounds about the same as what you have heard. Sounds like we will have to at the very least redo our interview, and I would assume update our medical and background. For the time being I have been keeping up to date with the lafd recruiter on twitter. It's alot easier then calling personnel a couple of times a month.

http://twitter.com/lafdrecruiter

Forum Member

Default LAFD process

If our oral interview expires, do we have to take the examination test again?

Forum Member

Default Expired

Quote Originally Posted by snwlover79 View Post
    I am in the same boat you are, July and January academy canceled. I expire in May. The information I have gathered sounds about the same as what you have heard. Sounds like we will have to at the very least redo our interview, and I would assume update our medical and background. For the time being I have been keeping up to date with the lafd recruiter on twitter. It's alot easier then calling personnel a couple of times a month.

http://twitter.com/lafdrecruiter
    I'm also in the same situation. Invited July, showed up for weekend training for Jan, I expire Feb. It just seems like waste of money to have us re-interview/start over. That $$ could go towards another Tower and more firefighters, or OT for current fire fighters, eliminate brownouts etc. I can see needing new medical and fill out an updated background, but to re-interview? Silly.

LAPD getting a lot of press to keep at their levels, but nothing in the news about LAFD and their issues with staffing levels. Weird.

Hang in there guys, if it's not LAFD, there will be other departments.

Forum Member

Default LAFD Academy

Same story here too although my interview does not expire until July 30th, so I am hoping they run the July academy but from what I have heard already it is not looking good. The most frustrating part is not re-taking the interview but the fact that we are put at the end of line if we pass the interview for the second time, and you know they have a huge back up of applicants that are still waiting to go through the process. What are you going to do... that is life I guess... sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Forum Member

Default Lafd academy

That makes no sense. If candidates are almost finished with the entire application process and their oral interview expires, they go to the end of the list after they re take the oral interview? The city has had a hiring freeze. They won t take that into consideration? It is a waste of time and money for the city. They have qualified candidates ready to go and send them to the end of the list.

Thread Information