Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1216
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Lamorris has started tweeting again, says LAFD will have an exam starting in June 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EB1980 View Post
    Lamorris has started tweeting again, says LAFD will have an exam starting in June 2012
    I'm in a fire academy, and LaMorris came to speak to us today. Said that they are definitely, definitely having a test in June 2012, for an expected hiring class in 2013.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know when the application filing will be?

Forum Member

Does LAFD have anything like a "Rescue Unit" or is their a "elite" truck company that one can get on to? Just curious as I'm a New York guy. Do know that LAFD has the largest fire aviation unit in the world which is pretty sweet!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Does LAFD have anything like a "Rescue Unit" or is their a "elite" truck company that one can get on to? Just curious as I'm a New York guy. Do know that LAFD has the largest fire aviation unit in the world which is pretty sweet!
    They have a USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) and also Heavy Rescue if that's what you mean?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    No such unit exists. West Coast firefighting is very different from the East Coast in many aspects.

Forum Member

I live in the mid-west. How is it different? Is it hard to get a fire service job in CA?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CAH09 View Post
    I live in the mid-west. How is it different? Is it hard to get a fire service job in CA?
    Very hard.
    You'll run FAR more medical aids than fires.

Forum Member

Is there any updates on the budget or supposed test in June or July?S

Forum Member

Okay so Just wanna give the facts that LAFD will NOT i repeat NOT be having an exam in June this year. i am in my internship with LAFD now and at morning lineup it was announced that they will OPEN for APPLICATIONS in September 2012. And first academy will be set for Sept. 2013. The plan is to hire 225 with most being Medics and at least 10%females. This is straight from the annoucments. LAFD recruiters have been saying that testing will be happening all the time. Right when they shut down they still were saying in 6 months in 6 months and that has passed a long time ago. Just wanna share what I heard and hope this helps many of you and wish you all luck in the future testing.

Forum Member

Navymedic73:

Thank yo so much for communicating that info on this post. I have no contacts in LAFD so that makes it much harder to keep up with true information. Especially since I am an out of towner but frequent visitor of the SoCal area.

I am currently a FF/AEMT in midwest. I plan on getting Paramedic after I finish a Master's degree that I am working on. Following the latest occurrences in regards to EMS and LAFD, I figured they will be hiring most medics in the future. I also understand the diversity issue (being native hispanic myself) and why they want to hire that % of female candidates.

That being said, for all of us that are not medics, we will have to do remarkably great on the written and CPAT portion of the testing process. It will be hard but not impossible to obtain a great score on the interview without having the extra points for being paramedic. At this time I wish I was in PM school and having the chance of doing internships with LAFD.

225 is a big number and opens up a chance. Last test I took in Phoenix AZ there were about 5000 applicants against 50 or so open positions.

Los Angeles is a top-notch agency covering one of the most diversified (by all means) cities in America. A very progressive department in regards to emergency/incident response. Lots of fires, lots of medicals, lots of everything, serving customers with ties from all over the world. Definitely want to be there.

Please keep us updated!

Forum Member

I was at one point in the process with Lafd and in backgrounds. I am now a firefighter for a big city in another state. I do plan on possibly trying to come back there. Granted they might want slot of medics but doesn't mean they won't hire guys with no medic. your written score means nothing it's pass or fail and te interview and background is everything. On the interview I received almost a perfect score. And that was being straight out of the service back in 2009 when I did it. I've heard rumor after rumor every year since I'll believe it when I see it. La city budget is really messed up.
    Last edited by ja29; 03-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member

Very true ja29, I forgot how different LAFD's process is compared to other depts. I am also keeping my eyes open of the city's budget since it is what drives all this. Let's just hope for the best.

Forum Member

I agree they will be hiring some single function but not many. Single function firefighters in LA city budget eyes and needs is the lowest priority

MembersZone Subscriber

Is their a private ambulance company that also covers the city of LA or are they the sole provider? The reason I ask is because with todays economy and budget issues, alot of cities are now relying more on the private companies in a way to reduce the amount of medics the city has to hire. Which results in savings due to the firefighter/paramedic salary being higher.

Forum Member

Lafd is the primary provider for 9-1-1 calls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Navymedic73 View Post
    i am in my internship with LAFD now and at morning lineup it was announced that they will OPEN for APPLICATIONS in September 2012. .
    What kind of internship are you doing with LAFD? Paramedic or something else?

I am just curious...

Forum Member

Any word on whether the possible restoration of all browned out apparatus will effect the hiring process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmr32 View Post
    Any word on whether the possible restoration of all browned out apparatus will effect the hiring process?
    In the article I read on here someone from LAFD was quoted as saying that they won't be changing their hiring plan if their budget is fully restored. He mentioned that until they are down around 100 front line spots, it didn't make sense for them to open up again. Not sure how they won't be down 100 if they get restored, but that's what the article stated. Here is a link so you can read it yourself.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/106883...les-fd-funding

Forum Member

The Mayorís proposed budget makes public safety a priority and maintains the size of the Los Angeles police force at its current strength. Maintaining the size of the LAPD has helped bring violent crime in the City down to levels not seen since the 1950s. The proposed budget also provides funding for the Fire Department for the operation of six new ambulances and one Valley engine company, the restoration of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) captains, and the recruitment and hiring of new firefighters.

Found an article this week on mayors proposal on upcoming budget. I cut this section from article

Thread Information