Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456789101757 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    I assume you're referring to a hiring list. You are put on this list only after you have applied and successfully passed the written portion and scored high enough on your oral interview. Then you are placed on the eligible hiring list after that. The way these hiring lists work is they categorize you into bands, usually 3 (A band, B band, C band). As they have openings, they go down the list and see who is still available and those lucky individuals continue on through the hiring process.

so how long do these usually take?

Forum Member

How long it takes depends on the department. Some dept.s open positions to meet a specific academy date. Others are more structured.

For example, a small municipal dept. will open hiring and try to hire candidates soon enough to put them through a larger department's academy that is coming up. (Like National City hiring 3 guys to put them through San Diego City's academy) Sometimes this process can be as quick as 3-5 months.

LAFD on the other hand is much more structured. They have 2 drill towers (academy sites) and have roughly 40-60 recruits per academy. They have open application filing which means they are continuously testing/hiring. Right now, LAFD's process takes around one year from application to hire. I hear it is less for women.

So usually, the larger the department, the longer the process since they have to go through so many candidates.

Good luck.

Forum Member

XsheenX you hear anything yet from initial panel????

I received my letter saying that I had gone through to final panel review approx 4 weeks ago. It said that the process takes up to 4-6 weeks...does anyone know if this is the case or if it is a lot longer? I'm hoping to make the December Academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by g301082 View Post
    I received my letter saying that I had gone through to final panel review approx 4 weeks ago. It said that the process takes up to 4-6 weeks...does anyone know if this is the case or if it is a lot longer? I'm hoping to make the December Academy.
    It seems like you and I are on the same timeline. I received my letter about 5 weeks ago. If you read back a few pages a member by the name of JLam got through the entire process and is in the Drill Tower as we speak. He got his call 9 weeks after his Final Panel Review Letter. Waiting is the hardest part.

Forum Member

Default the waiting game

It's been six weeks now for me and like everyone else here is saying...it's the hardest part. Keep yourself busy (mentally & physically) and time passes by a little easier...at least that's working for me so far.
    Good luck everybody.

Forum Member

Exactly. Stay busy. Not just with Fire related activities, but with life. Everything you do reflects on your candidacy for this job. I heard in the last Drill Tower, only 36 graduated and they started with over 50. 4 quit (?!?!) , and the rest just couldn't cut it. I asked what was the main reason and it was physical strength. Their bodies weren't in shape enough for the 18 weeks of non-stop work.

Keep busy, work out. This far in the process you shouldn't be "getting" in shape, you should be "staying" in shape.

Good Luck and try not to wait by the phone and mailbox everyday, it adds a lot of stress you'll need to keep reserved for the Drill Tower and Probie year!!!

Thumbs up im confused

im currently attending a community college to get my general out the way and then i will transfer to a community college that offers fire science as a major.

i have worked as a volentier firefighter ( smoke diver/ nozzleman/ air supply)
    on a cruise ship. i only did that for about 6 months.
    anyways im noticeing alot of people saying that people are applying with out any emt, and fire 1 cards. and end up getting hired or put into academy.

since i am going to school for my certifications, am i wasting my time ?

also is there any age requirements ? as that i am 24.

i am so focused to get to my goal of being a fire fighter. i want it more than anything.

also are thier height requirements. i am a short guy 5 ft 7in weighing about 140 ... im not exactly the biggest guy... but i can bench a good 180 lbs. i know i need to work out continuously ... and i know im strong enough for the job... i can pass the cpat test easly.

anyways any info would be heighly appreciated.
    i am a new member here and im really happy i found this place where i can post my concerns and questions.

i hope one day i can work with you guys.

its my calling

Forum Member

hello everyone,

well, i thought id give you an update on my process. as i know there's a few of us waiting around to hear back from the panel with its final decision. my time line goes something like this :

Jan: written test
    Feb: interview

then had background

then the end of april heard back and selected for further processing (field invest)

and finally after that on the 6th aug heard back that my field invest had been completed and that the panel meets in 4-6wks to review my application and to either make or not make a job offer.

its been a VERY long process with alot of waiting. does anybody know of people not getting offered jobs from this point on?? if you have a clean background and your EMT cert, it seems crazy to not be offered a job after they invested time and money into researching you. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out for all of us! hopefully we all get to meet at the next drill tower! good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davison27 View Post
    im currently attending a community college to get my general out the way and then i will transfer to a community college that offers fire science as a major.

i have worked as a volentier firefighter ( smoke diver/ nozzleman/ air supply)
    on a cruise ship. i only did that for about 6 months.
    anyways im noticeing alot of people saying that people are applying with out any emt, and fire 1 cards. and end up getting hired or put into academy.

since i am going to school for my certifications, am i wasting my time ?

also is there any age requirements ? as that i am 24.

i am so focused to get to my goal of being a fire fighter. i want it more than anything.

also are thier height requirements. i am a short guy 5 ft 7in weighing about 140 ... im not exactly the biggest guy... but i can bench a good 180 lbs. i know i need to work out continuously ... and i know im strong enough for the job... i can pass the cpat test easly.

anyways any info would be heighly appreciated.
    i am a new member here and im really happy i found this place where i can post my concerns and questions.

i hope one day i can work with you guys.

its my calling
    Your age and size are not a factor. Having a degree is not a requirement for most deparartments.

Even though LA City will allow you to test without your EMT, they will not hire you without the certification like many other agencies because it shortens the academy by several weeks.

If you're looking into LA City you can find more about the process here:
    http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm

"Captain Bob"
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    hello everyone,

well, i thought id give you an update on my process. as i know there's a few of us waiting around to hear back from the panel with its final decision. my time line goes something like this :

Jan: written test
    Feb: interview

then had background

then the end of april heard back and selected for further processing (field invest)

and finally after that on the 6th aug heard back that my field invest had been completed and that the panel meets in 4-6wks to review my application and to either make or not make a job offer.

its been a VERY long process with alot of waiting. does anybody know of people not getting offered jobs from this point on?? if you have a clean background and your EMT cert, it seems crazy to not be offered a job after they invested time and money into researching you. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out for all of us! hopefully we all get to meet at the next drill tower! good luck everyone!
    Well, from everyone that I've spoken to, there are plenty of factors involved other than just having a clean background and your EMT cert. Most of which are not divulged to the applicants. I would imagine, however, at this point we're on a "short list" for a conditional job offer. I hear some of the biggest cuts are during the initial panel for review. Hang in there! This goes without saying but it's a great job and well worth the wait! for the record, I took the written exam last November...I'm still waiting to hear from the final panel.

Forum Member

Default Quick Questions

I Live in Illinois. I have an NREMT-B card, and my Fire II.
    I would like to apply for LAFD and would like to know if a CPAT card from this state will allow me to move on in the process.

Other than that I would like to talk with someone about what living conditions in LA are like and what the LAFD is like for a rookie.
    Last edited by MTGillinois; 09-03-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: edit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    I Live in Illinois. I have an NREMT-B card, and my Fire II.
    I would like to apply for LAFD and would like to know if a CPAT card from this state will allow me to move on in the process.
    That is a question I would call and ask the Personnel dept. to get the answer. The number is (213) 473-9060

Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    Other than that I would like to talk with someone about what living conditions in LA are like and what the LAFD is like for a rookie.
    Living conditions in L.A.? Wow this could fill up a few pages. The cost of living will be much higher than it is in IL I am sure but LAFD's salary will also be higher. The pace is very fast and everyone is always in a rush. Some love it, some hate it but the truth is, L.A. has everything you could ever need. Food, entertainment, shopping...all top notch depending on where you live. It's one of the most diverse cities in the country and the best part about the city is...the Fire Department is one of the best in the country!

As far as life as a rookie . . . all I know is that they are very traditional. You will have a 1 year probation after the Drill Tower (academy) which will consist of spending 4 months at 3 different stations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone ever interviewed twice? I interviewed last Feb. I passed, but was dropped after the Initial Panel. After a year, we are able to go again starting with the Interview(skipping the written). Just wondering how to go about this. Do I have to wait until Feb to schedule one? Or can I make it so my actual interview is IN Feb again? Thanks.

MTIllinois... definitely go find out what it's like as a rookie for yourself by visiting some stations. If you don't know what it's like, you will not pass the interview. When going to a mock interview, they will always recommend this.

Forum Member

Smile

Wow guys! I got the call today!!! I've been scheduled for my med & psyc next week...I'm literally doing a handstand right now
    Hey, for everyone still in the process...hang in there and I'm rooting for all of you! GL

Forum Member

Helo guys well first of all this is my first post here, but i have read every single post on this theread.

I did cpat, written, oral prep, 3 station visits, moc oral, real oral and handed a background package.

What I would like to know is, do you have to be a US citizen in order to get hired with LAFD? I am a permanent resident and in process of getting my citizenship. On the LA county fire web site it states that you have be a citizen or eligible for citizenship and have applied 90 days prior to your application. Some other fire departments require you to be a citizen before you apply. On LAFD website I cant find any information regarding to this subject, I was wondering if anyone else knows.

Oh and is there possibility to have a background package and not to pass the interview? I am just scared that I am going to recive a letter saying that I passed but it was not good enough.

Forum Member

Congrats eyeatus! A glimmer of hope since I'm a week behind you. Fingers crossed. Are they trying to fit you into this months academy?

Did you get a letter or an actual phone call?

Again, congrats, I'm stoked for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    Congrats eyeatus! A glimmer of hope since I'm a week behind you. Fingers crossed. Are they trying to fit you into this months academy?

Did you get a letter or an actual phone call?

Again, congrats, I'm stoked for you.
    Thanks! I got an actual phone call from personnel and she told me a letter was also being sent but it's much quicker to call and schedule the appointment. I would love to be part of the upcoming Drill Tower in SP. I live in Long Beach so the commute would be perfect! I take my exams on Wednesday...I'll probably have more info then as to possible start dates. I hear a late September/early October date is likely. Hopefully you'll get the call soon...who knows, we may end up in the same academy.

Default Help!

Hi! I just had my oral interview and I received a card that had a #2 marked on it, does anyone know what this means?

Forum Member

Yeah an congrats, my background interview is sept 18th, I am hoping that it wont take too much for the background but we will see.

Thread Information