+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 49 First ... 4567891017 ... Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Mine was about the same....that psych test took forever. But I'll keep you updated if I hear anything. I was talking to some of the people there and they said unlike all the PD applicants we only meet with a psychologist if they have questions about our answers. Did you hear the same?

Forum Member

It went well...just really long. I'll keep you updated on if I hear anything or not. I talked to some of the people there are they were telling me that Fire applicants only have to meet with the psychologist if they have any questions on your answers. Is that what you heard to?

Forum Member

Yea I had mine on the same day. It went well, just really long. I'll keep you updated on my status.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr0311Sgt View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum. I got the call last Friday that I passed the Final Review Board and I am going in for my Med on the 26th. I was just curious to see if anyone knew the schedule of upcoming drill towers and also if after the med exam chances are you will go to the next drill tower or is it still a waiting game?
    Thanks
    The next drill tower is in San Pedro and is supposed to start either sometime near the end of the month or beginning of October. The one following that is in December out in Panorama City. As for your chances, I guess at this point unless you have a medical issue or they deem "psychologically unfit" you should be good. I heard the next class is full so this may be for the December tower.

Forum Member

Hey emmex, I got your email but for some reason I can't reply to it. PM me or email me directly at eyeateus@yahoo.com

Good luck tomorrow!

Forum Member

Default time lines

Hi everyone,

First of all, CONGRATS to the few of you who have made it past the final panel! I am currently waiting to hear back from the final panel and as you guys are well aware I'm pulling my hair out waiting! I was wondering if all of you guys who have made it past this part would post a "time-line" of your process, therefore I might be able to get some sort of idea of how much longer I have to wait to find out the final panels decision.

any help insight would be great! Once again, congrats to all of you!

Forum Member

I unfortunately did not go any further in this pocess. I'll just have to better myself and prepare for the next go-around.
    Last edited by xsheen2x; 01-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that xsheenx. At least when you re-apply it will be somewhat of a quicker process since you don't have to do the written portion again. My advice (you probably already know) is to advance your career path whether it be more certs, classes, volunteering, emt work, community service, etc. to show you are proactively working towards your goal and thus it would be something you can use in your next Oral Board.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Default LAFD Final Review Panel

hey everyone,

I am currently waiting for the final review panel to make a decision for Los Angeles City Fire. I received the letter that said I passed the background investigation in August and it said that I would hear something within 4-6 weeks. My background only took 3 weeks which I have been told was extremely quick. On the final day of week 6 I called the Personnel Department and was told that the Final Review Panel is taking their time with offer letters. I was told to expect 8-12 weeks before I hear anything.
    Would anyone be able to tell me what is involved with the medical exam? Is there a VO2 max test? Is the VO2 on a treadmill or bike? Lung capacity test?
    I am assuming they collect a urine sample.
    To the candidates that have already taken the psych and med test; are they scheduled on the same day or will it happen just like the previous parts of this process and one item per month?

Good luck to everyone out there. Keep working hard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post
    hey everyone,

I am currently waiting for the final review panel to make a decision for Los Angeles City Fire. I received the letter that said I passed the background investigation in August and it said that I would hear something within 4-6 weeks. My background only took 3 weeks which I have been told was extremely quick. On the final day of week 6 I called the Personnel Department and was told that the Final Review Panel is taking their time with offer letters. I was told to expect 8-12 weeks before I hear anything.
    Would anyone be able to tell me what is involved with the medical exam? Is there a VO2 max test? Is the VO2 on a treadmill or bike? Lung capacity test?
    I am assuming they collect a urine sample.
    To the candidates that have already taken the psych and med test; are they scheduled on the same day or will it happen just like the previous parts of this process and one item per month?

Good luck to everyone out there. Keep working hard.
    I would hang tight until you get that call!! If you are scheduled for your medical and psych, you will take both the same day. Expect to be there for about 6-8 hours. The medical portion of the exam does not include a bike or treadmill stress test but you will take a resting EKG and lung capacity test. Everything else is pretty standard physical exam type stuff...blood/urine test, hearing, vision, mobility, etc. The process speeds up quite a bit after your conditional job offer...good luck!

Forum Member

thanks eyeateus for the info. I will keep everyone updated as to what happens and when.

Forum Member

I am in a similar boat too,
    My background is rescheduled for oct 16th. I answered on the pbq that I have a US high school diploma and my diploma is not from US, its from another country. So I went and passed the GED and rescheduled my background interview, now the guy on the phone tells me that this may create ( me saying I have a US high school diploma and actually having a foreign diploma) a negative mark on my accountibility. I hope it does not, since I read that question as "do u have a high school diploma?" not as "do u have a US highs school diploma?" and I was like ofcourse I have a high school diploma, I even went to college.

I dont know man, if they shoot me down for something like this, it is going to suck really bad.

Forum Member

Default us diploma

sheesh ... that sucks big time. just be honest and let them know what you really thought. that should in no way reflect negatively on your judgment. it was a misunderstanding. i have a college diploma too and had to put my background on hold until i furnished a high school diploma (which was lost and had to be reordered from my school.)... good luck with everything. i hope it all works out. ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Forum Member

sheesh ... that sucks big time. just be honest and let them know what you really thought. that should in no way reflect negatively on your judgment. it was a misunderstanding. i have a college diploma too and had to put my background on hold until i furnished a high school diploma (which was lost and had to be reordered from my school.)... good luck with everything. i hope it all works out. ill keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Why did you put your BG on hold? I did not have my diploma in hand because I misplaced it so I got my High School transcripts instead. That will show whether you graduated or not and it was what I used.

Forum Member

sorry. i didnt clarify what i meant. i was told by my background investigator that it might delay my background if i didnt have my high school diploma... i got it ordered asap and all was good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    Why did you put your BG on hold? I did not have my diploma in hand because I misplaced it so I got my High School transcripts instead. That will show whether you graduated or not and it was what I used.
    It depends on the guys that are taking the personal history form and questioneer. For example when I went in for the LAPD background interview, they let me continue in the background process and I had to fax my hig school diploma or equivalent, when I got it.

When I went in for the LAFD background check, it was different guys ( they are all ex detectives and investigators) they stopped me before I could take the questioneer, took all my paperwork, froze my background process and send me home to reschedule my background interview after I get my scores etc..

Forum Member

Thumbs up finally

Wow. I just got the call today that I'm booked in for my med exam! what a long road its been. If anybody has any questions on the process I'd be more than happy to tell you how it went for me. I know how long it takes and the lack of info out there, so I'd be more than happy to help. Good luck to everyone!!

Forum Member

millertime, congrats on going on to the next step. sounds like you are in the category/ hiring group that i am in if you just got the call. when did you receive the letter that said your background had been completed? how many weeks/months since then did you wait for you to be scheduled for physical/med? i am getting extremely anxious for the call as you can tell with the questions. congrats again on the forward progress.

Forum Member

i recieved my letter stating my background had been completed on aug 6th and got the call yesterday for my medical. approx 9 wks it took. the 3 other guys who've posted on this thread all seem to have recieved the good news within 9wks of them completing their backgrounds. they wanted to do my medical asap as they said they were trying to get me in the next class, however, i'm away on holidays at the moment so i'm booked in to do my med on oct 20. i think the next class starts in Dec, so fingers crossed i will make it!

does anyone have any advice for what to expect at drill tower? any pre-study that can be done to help? i consider my fitness to be very good, i run alot already approx 15-20miles per week and i've been doing alot of push ups as i've been told to be prepared for that. any advice would be great.

Forum Member

Default a light at the end of the tunnel

that is great news. i received the letter for passing backgrounds august 19th so two more weeks and i will be at the 9 week mark. hopefully i will get the call around then and get set up for the dec tower... thanks for the heads up.
    i have been told to do a lot of sprint work ie on a football field run from the goal to the 10 yd line then back to goal then to 20 yd line back to goal then to 30,40,50 and so on.. i have also been doing stairs, sprinting hills over and over. do all different kinds of cardio. im always trying to mix it up.
    keep up at the gym too. you want to keep your strength for the tower as well.
    good luck millertime and everyone else.

Forum Member

i have been told to do a lot of sprint work ie on a football field run from the goal to the 10 yd line then back to goal then to 20 yd line back to goal then to 30,40,50 and so on..
    Suicides! Gotta love it.

Hey bica and miller, shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    Wow. I just got the call today that I'm booked in for my med exam! what a long road its been. If anybody has any questions on the process I'd be more than happy to tell you how it went for me. I know how long it takes and the lack of info out there, so I'd be more than happy to help. Good luck to everyone!!
    Hey congrats millertime! Great feeling, huh? watch out for the med/psych exam...it's a doosie. It sounds like they're gearing up for the Dec tower. I'm now just waiting on the official job offer from the fire department and academy date.

Forum Member

that is great news. i received the letter for passing backgrounds august 19th so two more weeks and i will be at the 9 week mark. hopefully i will get the call around then and get set up for the dec tower... thanks for the heads up.
    i have been told to do a lot of sprint work ie on a football field run from the goal to the 10 yd line then back to goal then to 20 yd line back to goal then to 30,40,50 and so on.. i have also been doing stairs, sprinting hills over and over. do all different kinds of cardio. im always trying to mix it up.
    keep up at the gym too. you want to keep your strength for the tower as well.
    good luck millertime and everyone else.
    Good idea. Gotta mix up your cardio with both aerobic and anaerobic type excercises. I've been running in the mornings and doing either stair training with a weight vest or gym work (free weights, push ups, pull ups, etc.) in the afternoons about 5-6 days a week. Feeling pretty good but always welcome new training programs. I want to be ready for anything.
    Last edited by eyeateus; 10-08-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Member

Circuit training is awesome preparation for both cardio and physical training. Also called CrossFit, it combines diet, training and exercise to make you the complete athlete. Awesome workout! I know LAFD encourages this type of training. If you want more info, feel free to send me a pm.

Forum Member

Smile Next Drill Tower?

Im new to the forum but have read a lot of these threads. I just finished my psych interview yesterday and am curious if anyone has heard anything else about the next academy and when it starts. Also how long does it take to hear anything after the psych and medical. Any help would be great thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 49 First ... 4567891017 ... Last

Thread Information