Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

I just got back from out of time and I got my phone call too! Academy date December 1st. Eyeatus and emmex lets keep in touch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmortaza View Post
    I just got back from out of time and I got my phone call too! Academy date December 1st. Eyeatus and emmex lets keep in touch.
    Hey that's great! Congrats nmortaza! pm me or shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmortaza View Post
    Congratulations! Let's definitely keep in touch, PM or email me. Looks like there could be quite a few of us from here going into the Tower together.

Forum Member

Default torture

ahh, this is torture, all you guys getting the official call and now i'm standing by waiting for mine!! classic expression of, "so close, yet so far." i finished my medical on this past monday, and now i reckon i have about a month or so to stand by and wait. hope to get good news too and hope to see you guys on Dec 1st! approx how long did it take to hear back after you completed your medical? my cpat expires nov 30th....i wonder if i will need to test again if i do get the call???

Forum Member

100+ (vet credit) on interview
    Non-select 1st review board.
    re-instated by panel of fire fighters.
    passed backgrounds.
    Non-select 2nd review board.

Personal really does not like me.
    Last edited by Coastalwarvet; 11-24-2008 at 02:46 AM. Reason: why bother

Forum Member

Thanks for the answers guys.
    They told us that they are sending packages to the fire officials and they will be evaluating the packages and decide who is going to have a background investigator.

How long did you guys wait before a background investigator was assigned to you? Its been one week for me and still waiting....

Oh and I got the results for my oral and it was %100 with no military credit, I wonder if that would give me an edge on getting the background investigator.

Forum Member

Whats up ladies and gents
    I've been visiting this forum for a while now and am in the process, here's my time line:
    -application Aug 3rd
    -written sept 20th or so
    -interview oct 24
    -background interview Nov 13th (this is the time to pray because thats all you can do)Its the lottery!

For those who are also in the process lets keep everyone informed so we all know what were working with. Also congrats to all those who are hired or almost there. I have a friend in the san pedro academy right now his biggest words of advise are pull ups and push ups 2 seconds down and 2 seconds up!!

Forum Member

Hmm lets see. I think I waited somewhere around 7-8 weeks for the whole initial panel process. Then I finally got a letter saying within the next month I would hear from a field investigator. As far as getting 100%, unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for that. I don't think the 100% matters as much anymore since most of the applicants are 95-100%. I'm sure someone else could give a little more information on that though. Good luck on the initial panel though.

Forum Member

test test test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmawonder View Post
    They told us that they are sending packages to the fire officials and they will be evaluating the packages and decide who is going to have a background investigator.

How long did you guys wait before a background investigator was assigned to you? Its been one week for me and still waiting....

Oh and I got the results for my oral and it was %100 with no military credit, I wonder if that would give me an edge on getting the background investigator.

You are in the Initial Panel review. My panel took about 6 months before I was assigned an investigator.

Hmm, I don't understand why the medical portion takes 6 hours. Do they do MRIs and Xrays on your whole body or something? I was just thinking.. I had a basic physical with blood test, urine, normal reflex test, etc. and it only takes 45min -1 hour. Am I missing something here?

Just curious..

Forum Member

Default Waiting for the call

I just got done talking to the Psych yesterday. Pretty much the only reason they wanted to talk to me was because I was a Marine and wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. It went really well and she said that I pretty much am golden for the Dec 1st academy since it isn't filled yet. I just have to wait for the call now.
    2 of my friends have already gotten the call for Dec 1st and hopefully I will join them and all of you that have been selected.
    Congrats to all who got the call and those who are in the process keep in there. It's a long one but will be worth it.

Forum Member

Hey in response to you asking people for their time lines. I would like to know yours aswell thanks. Like What dates u did written, oral, pbi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    ahh, this is torture, all you guys getting the official call and now i'm standing by waiting for mine!! classic expression of, "so close, yet so far." i finished my medical on this past monday, and now i reckon i have about a month or so to stand by and wait. hope to get good news too and hope to see you guys on Dec 1st! approx how long did it take to hear back after you completed your medical? my cpat expires nov 30th....i wonder if i will need to test again if i do get the call???
    Yeah...you're gonna want to update that cpat. I was told everything needs to be current before you can start. I would call the recruit department and ask them to be sure. So, unless they push back the Dec 1 tower date you're probably in line for the next one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmawonder View Post

Hey mmawonder I was wonder your specific timeline in the process. such as when you had the written, interview, PBI. im trying to see if the process is going any slower or faster within the years

Forum Member

test test test

Forum Member

hey guys what can I expect from the oral? Is it the usual slurry?

Forum Member

Default the oral

well, this is my advice for your oral. well, its not exactly "mine" as just letting you know what people told me which i found extremely helpful. if you have the time, most def do a couple mock interviews. those are basically the real deal (at least they were for me) and gave me confidence as well as making me realize where i had to improve on. not sure what kind of resume you have, but make sure you can use your past experiences for the questions they ask you and relate them to real life situations. try to visit a few fire stations and try and remember who you spoke to or at least the station that way you can show that you've done some research if the opportunity comes up for you to let them know what stations you visited. other than that, i can't think of much more, oh, where a suit. but i def would try and get a few mock interviews in, they are really helpful.

GOOD LUCK! Wish you the best. I strongly believe that if you put the time in and research and practice that you should do fine...thats what i did.

Forum Member

Default question

did anybody get scheduled to go in for a psych interview after you already had your medical and taken the psych test? just curious as i have been scheduled for a psych interview...and was wondering what to expect. any insight would be great, thanks.

Forum Member

Default one more thing

the interview is going to be over the phone as well, which seems kind of strange...has anybody else had this?

Forum Member

Default Psych interview

Hey Miller, I had to come back for an interview with the psych. It was no biggie they'll ask you a lot of questions about your responses on the written psych as well as your childhood and up bringing. They asked me a lot of questions about iraq and the military don't know if that apllies to you or not. If its over the phone maybe they only have a few questions for you and are trying to save time. Either way good luck, i've already recieved my letter that i passed the med and psych just waiting for that phone call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmex510 View Post
    You are in the Initial Panel review. My panel took about 6 months before I was assigned an investigator.
    Wow, I thought initial panel was quick and background was slow. I guess I was wrong. This is going to kill me. Well good luck to you guys going on dec1st. I wish I can be on the next one or so.

Forum Member

Default Timeline

any one recently get an investigator? if so how long was your waittime between the initial panel review until your letter of selection for further im in that part of the process and everyone varies. im trying ti get a more precise timeframe.. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    did anybody get scheduled to go in for a psych interview after you already had your medical and taken the psych test? just curious as i have been scheduled for a psych interview...and was wondering what to expect. any insight would be great, thanks.
    I did. I went in for my Psych interview last Friday. I was probably in there for about 30-45 minutes. The Psychologist pretty much asked me about my growing up and relationships with my family. then we talked about my military experience for a while then the last part was talking about how i was getting ready for the academy. They might also ask you to explain a couple of your answers on your psych test. It was pretty easy.
    Now I am just waiting for the call for my academy date. I hope I get into the Dec 1st one.

Forum Member

Smile Done with the process

Just got a letter last week dated Oct 27 saying I passed my Psych interview. The very last step. Just waiting for that call for Dec 1st. Hopefully I find out the next few days.

Thread Information