Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 61 12341151 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Default LAFD applicants

Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone who's in the process with LA City Fire to post their experiences and updates and to share information about the process. They're giving the written test monthly and hiring a ton of firefighters, so there have got to be some folks on the boards here in some stage of the process.

I'm taking the written test on 9/15. Anyone else in the application process? What have your experiences been?

Recent tower graduates are welcome to share their experiences here as well.

Forum Member

Im the same as you right now, taking the written this coming saturday. Just heard from a afriend that his buddy just passed the oral and is goin through backgrounds.

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

Good luck, L.A. City is a great department
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddiegrunt View Post
    Good luck, L.A. City is a great department
    Why?

Not to be facetious, Im on the east coast, so Ive just never heard anything about that other side.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Why?

Not to be facetious, Im on the east coast, so Ive just never heard anything about that other side.
    For starters, they pay pretty well. And they specialize in all sorts of different stuff. USAR, swiftwater rescue, wildland, high-rise, technical rescues, etc. It's a huge department with lots of opportunities for people to do different things.

Plus, it's Los Angeles. Nice weather, pretty girls, great food and culture, etc. As long as you can deal with the traffic you'll love living here.

Just finished my med/ psych late August. Waiting daily for a response. Good luck on the written.

Forum Member

Ha! Im pretty content here in NY, but all great reasons. That being the case, it sounds iike a great place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofPeleus View Post
    Just finished my med/ psych late August. Waiting daily for a response. Good luck on the written.
    SonofPeleus,
    What was your timeline like, from the time you submitted your application until today? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what was your background, experience, certificates, etc?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Ha! Im pretty content here in NY, but all great reasons. That being the case, it sounds iike a great place to be.
    where in ny?

Forum Member

Question LAFD Firefighter/Paramedic

Hey:

I have been trying to get info. about LAFD for sometime with no luck. Was wondering if one of ya could help me.... How does the department "staff" you if you are hired as a Firefighter/Paramedic?

Do you rotate in your station every tour or every other tour, etc., between the engine, truck and ambbulance (supression and EMS) or are you permanent ambulance?

And do non-paramedic recruits have to go through mandatory paramedic training once hired?

Thanks.............Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by cb1776 View Post
    Hey:

I have been trying to get info. about LAFD for sometime with no luck. Was wondering if one of ya could help me.... How does the department "staff" you if you are hired as a Firefighter/Paramedic?

Do you rotate in your station every tour or every other tour, etc., between the engine, truck and ambbulance (supression and EMS) or are you permanent ambulance?

And do non-paramedic recruits have to go through mandatory paramedic training once hired?

Thanks.............Good Luck
    I don't know how to answer all of your question, but I'll tell you what I understand to be true. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, non-paramedic recruits are not required to become paramedics. They are, however, required to become basic EMT's.

I have also heard that even if you're a paramedic, you won't officially function as one until your probation period is over.

As far as the "rotation" part of your question, I don't have an answer to that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Below is info on the written exam.

Part I of the written test consists of multiple-choice items that measure Reading Comprehension and Mathematics, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios, squares, square roots, and use of decimals, fractions, and percentages

Part II consists of multiple-choice items regarding job related personal characteristics that are indicators of a successful job performance as a firefighter

More details about the exam process and complete exam prep can be found at the link below. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/la_city_exam_preparation.html

Since 1950, Don McNea Fire School has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Fireprep.com has over 250 pages of FREE information and career articles to help you reach your goal of becoming a firefighter.

Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 27,000 subscribers. This newsletter features career articles by the countries top entry level authors.

Best of luck to everyone going through this process. I have a close family friend who is a retired Asst. Chief from LA City and he has nothing but good things to say about the department.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be applying soon. It sounds like an awesome place to work. How good are someone's chances of being hired? I know they want to hire about 200/year, but how many test each month? Is there an interview? And do they accept EMT-Basic from another state or the national registry? I'm guessing not since they have EMT1 and 2 or whatever, and not much transfers to CA.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I'll be applying soon. It sounds like an awesome place to work. How good are someone's chances of being hired? I know they want to hire about 200/year, but how many test each month? Is there an interview? And do they accept EMT-Basic from another state or the national registry? I'm guessing not since they have EMT1 and 2 or whatever, and not much transfers to CA.
    Not sure how many test each month. Yes, there is an oral interview that follows the written test. That's followed by a background interview, a background check, etc. All of that is basic info that can be found at www.joinlafd.org

As far as EMT goes, if you've passed the National Registry exam, you should be good to go. California uses the NREMT as the basis for state certification. There is no separate state test.

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post

More details about the exam process and complete exam prep can be found at the link below. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/la_city_exam_preparation.html
    Also, there's some good info straight from LA City right here:
    http://www.lacity.org/per/psb/ff_sample_test.pdf

Jlam,
    Took the CPAT in Nov. and the written In Dec 2006. I have my NREMT, a BA, and a education credential. The process seems to take about a year with each step a month and a half in between.

Forum Member

LA City will conduct continuous testing and back to back academies until they hire at least 250 new firefighters each of the next five years! Since one-hundred percent of your score to get hired for LA City is in the oral board itís time to get ready! Just a point or two one way or the other will make the difference in you going forward in the hiring process. Your goal is to score high enough in your oral board so when you leave the interview room they will hand you a background packet.

This from a candidate: As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) for LA City I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. The score needed is 95 or more to move forward.

You can find free information on how to avoid the land mines in the LA City hiring process here: http://www.eatstress.com/la_city_test.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Words.....
    Can I make a small request? Can the folks who are trying to sell something kindly stay out of this thread? I realize you guys are providing a good service, and I and others may even take you up on it at some point.

But seriously, I've seen the same sales pitches a thousand times on this and other forums. I get it. Your products will help me in the process.

I get it. I get it. I get it.

Please stop *****ting up my thread.

Here's some free advertising for all you folks.

www.dmfireschool.com
    www.eatstress.com
    www.fireprep.com
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

If there's anyone else I missed, drop me a PM and I'll add your link here. Otherwise, kindly stay out of this thread. This is for applicants to share information, not for guys selling stuff to get free advertising.

MembersZone Subscriber

The oral is 100% of the score? What about the written?

Thread Information