Forum Member

Default Is there any difference between Explorers and Junior Firefighters?

I was wondering if there was a difference between Explorers and Junior FFs. It's been on my mind for a good while (Why? I don't know). Is Junior FF just a fancy name of saying Explorer?

Forum Member

No, the Explorer program is ran through the Boy Scouts of America. They follow BSA rules and such. Junior firefighters are usually just a program at your local FD so you can learn about the fire service and help out at the same time. The rules governing juniors are usually more lenient than the Explorers.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

i thought that juniors and cadets were part of" one program"(proposed at firehouses) and explorers were totally different?but i'm not young anymore,so,lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    No, the Explorer program is ran through the Boy Scouts of America. They follow BSA rules and such. Junior firefighters are usually just a program at your local FD so you can learn about the fire service and help out at the same time. The rules governing juniors are usually more lenient than the Explorers.
    What do Junior Firefighters get to do that Explorers cannot?

Forum Member

In my Department, Explorers are only members of the Explorer post. They have no use of the buildings, they are not to be there unless there is an Explorer meeting/training or a call. They don't get keys so they can't be in the building anyway. They are not to ride 1st due pieces at all.

Juniors are members of either of the 2 fire companies and have the rights to be in the building. IF there is an open seat, they may ride the 1st due. We have a junior who knows his job is to be the hydrant man.

Our Explorers are age 14-15. At 16, they become a Junior member of either of the companies. They may still participate in Explorer activities. At 18, they apply for active membership.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    In my Department, Explorers are only members of the Explorer post. They have no use of the buildings, they are not to be there unless there is an Explorer meeting/training or a call. They don't get keys so they can't be in the building anyway. They are not to ride 1st due pieces at all.

Juniors are members of either of the 2 fire companies and have the rights to be in the building. IF there is an open seat, they may ride the 1st due. We have a junior who knows his job is to be the hydrant man.

Our Explorers are age 14-15. At 16, they become a Junior member of either of the companies. They may still participate in Explorer activities. At 18, they apply for active membership.
    So Juniors are like auxilliary (spelling?) FFs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    What do Junior Firefighters get to do that Explorers cannot?
    As already stated, Explorer programs fall under Learning for Life, a part of the BSA. The BSA provides insurance coverage for the Explorers and provide guidlines for program advisors. Such as not being able to do fireground work, or be utilized as FF. This also helps a dept out without having to worry about liability issues and such if the rules are followed. The TRUE basis of an Explorer program is to show teens and young adults about the job and career of a FF and if it would be a career choice for them. They are there to observe and not be utilized as a FF.

Junior and Cadets are dept based, by an individual dept. The dept sets their own rules and as such are also liable for the jr and cadets. They may get to do a bit more hands on, or help on the fireground and such. Some depts use such a program as a stepping stone to get onto the dept.

What it all comes down to is who is the one setting up the rules and standards. If through the BSA, you are and Explorer. If different, then you are a jr or cadet.

The difference between the two leads to nice confusion and strong debates on these forums with people thinking just because their dept allows them to do something, that all depts do. Not all depts do things correct and leads to debates

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    As already stated, Explorer programs fall under Learning for Life, a part of the BSA. The BSA provides insurance coverage for the Explorers and provide guidlines for program advisors. Such as not being able to do fireground work, or be utilized as FF. This also helps a dept out without having to worry about liability issues and such if the rules are followed. The TRUE basis of an Explorer program is to show teens and young adults about the job and career of a FF and if it would be a career choice for them. They are there to observe and not be utilized as a FF.

Junior and Cadets are dept based, by an individual dept. The dept sets their own rules and as such are also liable for the jr and cadets. They may get to do a bit more hands on, or help on the fireground and such. Some depts use such a program as a stepping stone to get onto the dept.

What it all comes down to is who is the one setting up the rules and standards. If through the BSA, you are and Explorer. If different, then you are a jr or cadet.

The difference between the two leads to nice confusion and strong debates on these forums with people thinking just because their dept allows them to do something, that all depts do. Not all depts do things correct and leads to debates
    Debates?
    More like the forum equivalent of thermonuclear warfare!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Debates?
    More like the forum equivalent of thermonuclear warfare!
    Now that Cap'n--is a very descriptive turn of phrase!

Just for a bit of devilment-I think all Explorers should be made to go into fires, fully booted and spurred ,of course. This will enable teams of Junior FF's(and only them) to try and rescue them

The last statement is just to "wind up" the morons who think that this idea holds any semblance of normality

P.S. As you can see I am trying to cross pollinate a couple of current threads
    Last edited by Tooanfrom; 09-11-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Postscript
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Like most have said Explorers are though the BSA well Juniors are through the department its self. Explorer rules (basically) are these... http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html Along with your states laws. Well Juniors are governed by the state laws and department regulations. And depending on the department, Explorers or juniors may have more that they are allowed to do.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post
    Now that Cap'n--is a very descriptive turn of phrase!

Just for a bit of devilment-I think all Explorers should be made to go into fires, fully booted and spurred ,of course. This will enable teams of Junior FF's(and only them) to try and rescue them

The last statement is just to "wind up" the morons who think that this idea holds any semblance of normality
    "Wind up" HotTrotter any more and he may snap.

Contributing to the "revolutions of the springy device", or the new daytime TV soap, As the Pot Stirs:
    Yes, there is a difference between Junior FFs and Explorers (aka Exploders). Explorers are a brand of Sport-Utility Vehicle manufactured by the Ford Motor Company. Junior Firefighters are kids duly deputized by the Fire Dept via application of a small stick-on badge and plastic red fire helmet, both of which indicate the title of "Junior Firefighter". (example below)

Junior FFs in most departments are considered full-fledged Firefighters and may perform any duties normally executed by an adult Firefighter, including interior attack, RIT/FAST crew, and OV...
    They may, if so licensed, drive the "Support Truck" code-3 to incidents. If they are the "senior man" on an apparatus by virtue of time on the department, may assume the Officer position, and if on the first-arriving unit, consequently assume IC of any incident.

Keep in mind I've never been a Junior or Explorer...I'm just going off of certain posts made by Juniors and Explorers on these boards, but I think I hit all the important bullet points. Be sure to let me know if I missed anything.
    Last edited by the1141man; 09-12-2007 at 04:21 AM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    "Contributing to the "revolutions of the springy device", or the new daytime TV soap, As the Pot Stirs:
    Yes, there is a difference between Junior FFs and Explorers (aka Exploders). Explorers are a brand of Sport-Utility Vehicle manufactured by the Ford Motor Company. Junior Firefighters are kids duly deputized by the Fire Dept via application of a small stick-on badge and plastic red fire helmet, both of which indicate the title of "Junior Firefighter".
    Now that was funny as poo.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    "Wind up" HotTrotter any more and he may snap.

Contributing to the "revolutions of the springy device", or the new daytime TV soap, As the Pot Stirs:
    Yes, there is a difference between Junior FFs and Explorers (aka Exploders). Explorers are a brand of Sport-Utility Vehicle manufactured by the Ford Motor Company. Junior Firefighters are kids duly deputized by the Fire Dept via application of a small stick-on badge and plastic red fire helmet, both of which indicate the title of "Junior Firefighter". (example below)

Junior FFs in most departments are considered full-fledged Firefighters and may perform any duties normally executed by an adult Firefighter, including interior attack, RIT/FAST crew, and OV...
    They may, if so licensed, drive the "Support Truck" code-3 to incidents. If they are the "senior man" on an apparatus by virtue of time on the department, may assume the Officer position, and if on the first-arriving unit, consequently assume IC of any incident.

Keep in mind I've never been a Junior or Explorer...I'm just going off of certain posts made by Juniors and Explorers on these boards, but I think I hit all the important bullet points. Be sure to let me know if I missed anything.

This has to be the best post I have seen on these forums

Forum Member

VA laws lets 16 and up go in but we cant drive any vehicle though it dosent hurt to ask the chief

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot2catch View Post
    VA laws lets 16 and up go in but we cant drive any vehicle though it dosent hurt to ask the chief
    I would like to see that law.

Forum Member

Thank you

Let's talk fire trucks!

The wording that the 16 & 17 year old FF's in Virginia have FF-1 was only added in 2006. The original 2006 bill was going to restrict junior FF's to basically only train in quarters with absolutely no incident response. A group of us from my home county stayed in close contact with our legislators and eventually the FF-1 mandate was added to the bill.

Pretty good compromise, I thought.

Forum Member

I took my FF-I and FF-II while 16 back home. I will admit that there will be those few that are just to immature to do the job at that age but for the most part my class was a very well rounded and mature class. Most have become great assests to their respective departments.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007