Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem With Senior Officer...

So I am very new to the fire service, I just finished Academy, and am at a house running shifts. I absolutly love the job so far, and have had great experiences so early in my career. Anyway I have had some problems with an officer at our department.

I understand that I am a probie, and that I need to get some time on and learn. I know that I am the bottom of the barrel, and I am OK with that. I am in no way the type of person to act like I know everything, and I consider myself very humble (unlike some of the other probies around my department). Anyway this particular officer is extremely disrespectful to me. Not just giving me crap because I am a probie, but down right disrespectful. I try to learn as much as I can when on shift, and I am always up for more training and drilling. I just want to be the best firefighter as I possibly can, but this officer won't help me learn. I have asked numerous questions and all I ever get is "why don't you figure it out", or just "get ot of my face, stupid".

It is hard for me because I graduated very high in my class, and I am not stupid, I just want to learn, but this officer is not helping me at all. I have worked with other officers and FF's, and they all seem to like me and want to help me learn, but this particular senior officer just treats me like crap.

So any ideas as to what I can do? The said officer is very knowledgable and has 20+ years on the job, and I have total respect for him, but I don't know how to approach the negative treatment I am receiving.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I would just go to the officers and seniors guys that are helpful to you when you have a question and just let this thing with the other officer go. Some of the older guys just dont seem to like any probie no matter what. If you try to talk to him, or someone else at your station about it you just look like a guys with hurt feelings. Ignore it and go on with your probatoion, learn who the guys are you can go to when you need something. Above all however, still try to learn the job from this guy, dont let him being an ***** at times stop you from learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like you are taking the right approach, not whining.

Keep your head up, don't ever let on that his behavior is bothering you. Keep doing what you're told. Maintain decorum and professionalism, but don't alter your behavior towards him compared to other officers, either.

Be very very careful who you talk to in your department about him (read: don't talk about him at all). As a new guy you do not yet know for sure where anyone's petty loyalties lie. You know when it hits the fan that you all have each other's backs, but that loyalty does not always extend to personality bickering. You've no doubt heard about how the toes stepped on today may be attached to the *** you kiss tomorrow.

It might be a probie thing that will change over time after you have proved yourself in action or under pressure, or he might just be a bona fide ahole. Life is far too short to lose sleep over aholes.

Do your job and don't give his behavior a passing thought, your time is better spent on training and family.

Keep your head up. Good luck.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nobody deserves to be disrespected in the fashion you have described. Unfortunately he/she is the officer and you are the probationary firefighter. You will not come out on top if this continues to go south. The best thing you can do is to TRY to keep a positive attitude.

I assume you will be rotated soon. Make the best of it.

I encourage you to keep a log and document his unprofessional comments. Depending on your probationary period you may have difficulty if you do not get the proper training. You need to be prepared.

Lastly, I would go to someone on your crew (Engineer) who can steer you in the right direction....

Good luck, this is a terrible situation. The officer should NEVER act in such an unprofessional manner.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

you may not think it but theres a very high chance that this officer actually does like you. They may like you more than the other probies for all you know. They may disrespect you, yell at you, make you feel inferior but it could all be part of their plan. Like you said you are doing every possible thing you can do impress this guy/girl right? They may just be trying to see how good you really are and think you have alot more potential then the other probies.

There could be a very justified method to the madness. by telling you "Figure it out yourself" you may not realize but he or she is making you think for yourself. That is a strong trait of a true leader. Anyone can ask someone else for the answers, but the truly great can figure it out for themselves.

All im saying is take it with a grain of salt, it could turn out good in the end this officer your dislike could become your best friend. Just remember they are an officer for a reason, one cannot lead without follows. He or she must be doing something right.

Keep an open mind, good luck wish i had a career job fighting fire lol
    Last edited by Mihlrad; 09-13-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Forum Member

Just remember your on the best job in the world and theres a 1000 other guys wanting your spot.
    Last edited by crankshaft; 10-10-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Forum Member

I have an officer that dislikes me, going on 7 years now. I laugh it off. Don't say a word, just smile a lot. It is hard to hate a guy that just smiles and laughs. If he is talking behind your back, just go tell him what you heard, one on one, face to face. Don't let him slander you, but do not over react.

there is an easy way to fix this.

First, you tell him that no one disrespects you like that. Make sure that you inform him that A: It better stop and B: You arent afraid to go back to prison.

If it continues, bring a wood chipper to work and jokingly refer to the officer that if he happened to fall in the wood chipper during the night, that stuff happens

And if it still persists, cut the brake line and follow him home. As he approches a sharp drop off like the in the movies pull up next to him, hold up the cut brake wires and laugh all the way home....

as you can probably tell, I am bored out of my mind. But I think it would work

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep your head up and keep on doing what youíre doing. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I think there might be some truth to what Mihlrad said. When I first joined, one of the captains at the time was hard on me. It took some time, but I realized that if he picked on you, he saw some potential. It was when he just ignored you that he didn't like or respect you. Not necessarily the best management / leadership approach, but that was him.

Forum Member

Default life lesson

First, if you already figured it out and came on here to get validation. You got it. This person is just one of alllll the people you will interact with. That doesn't make what is being done right, but that is how it is. Stick your hand in your pocket. Grab your little bag of tricks. Put this experience in said bag. Years from now when you are the officer with the F N G in your company, REMEMBER. Don't become what you despise.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka. . . and have a party." - Ron White

Hey man i went through the same kind of situation as you are going through now. there was a chief officer who no matter what i did he didnt care. He was pretty rough on me but that is just the way some of the senior guys are. he thought of me as no more than a rookie puke. All you need to do is keep your head up and do your best. As it did for me hope fully it will pass. He truly wants you to prove your self to him first and thats all right like i said there is always people like that out there. so keep your head up be strong and do your best

or tell him you know people who know some people who kill some people for a living

Forum Member

For JHR:And of course,your brother in law will represent colofirefighter pro bono when he comes up to trial for even suggesting that he has such solutions?
    Colofirefighter,do what everyone else has said:stay within the bounds of the chain of command when solving the problem.He may be a schmuck but he is still the officer.
    I had a similar situation with a petty officer while in the Navy that made me decide not to re-up.
    When I could avoid him,I'd go to the other POs with problems and questions which irked him no end.He didn't get the clue that I found other petty officers more informative when I had questions but maybe your officer will realize that he's been found irrelevant and will change his ways.
    Hope you can find a way to deal with him and stay on the job.The best days you have will always make up for the BS that you deal with in between.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    or tell him you know people who know some people who kill some people for a living

Thread Information