Forum Member

Default Packed Up for 1st Time

On Sunday we went to a car fire and I was told to pack up so once we arrived on scene we had to pop the hood and once we did a big plum of smoke and flame came out and i put my mask on and got the nozzle and knocked it down. I was wondering if anyone had any other stories about the first time they ever packed up

Forum Member

Soooo is this like my meth house post?????

Forum Member

Dude, that sounds like a wild ride. Must have been fun, accept if anybody got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jrscvfs View Post
    YES!

Forum Member

No, not even. Remember, vehicle fires are completely safe...after all there's nothing like gas struts that can overpressure when exposed to fire and blow up, shooting like missiles through an unexpecting bystander or unwary FF...nothing like that, nope, never. And of course the magnesium in the steering column, brakes, and engine makes such a pretty light show when you put water on it, but it's just harmless light.

(yes, that entire post = 1,104% sarcasm)
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Yeah, as has been thoroughly covered by the1141man. No fires of any kind should be fought by juniors. Brush fires still kill firefighters every year, and yet we have people on here that have no problem throwing juniors at those, much less, interior attacks on structures, with JR's as IC's.

Forum Member

So you are how old? Packing up? Going into a potentially hazardous environment?

To be a dead horse....

JUNIORS ARE NOT FIREFIGHTERS (yet!).

You would have been better suited to hump hose, then get a walk around of the burned vehicle.

Forum Member

old enough to know how to fight a car fire this isn't my first one just the first one i got the pipe on.

Forum Member

i actually just read the meth post and don't want to get into somthing like that so thanks for your opinions bye

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine View Post
    old enough to know how to fight a car fire this isn't my first one just the first one i got the pipe on.
    This is btvaineain for 16.

I was at a fire the other day and was asked to light road flares-I said no, and told the other explorers there not to lite them. I am joining the department in about 90 days. Now on the dangerous-stuff-o-meter the flares rate about a .5, the car fire would be a 10.

The responsible thing for you to do would have been to say no. If you did get hurt you could kiss the explorer program, the officer who told you to pack up, and any compensation from BSA or LFL goodbye.

Forum Member

Why are you posting in the Explorer/Jr. forums then?

And tell me the most important thing to consider when fighting a car fire?

Forum Member

Smile

This is for jacklrd

I don't want you to think that it was just me and a line i had several highly expereanced firefighters who i respect and trust working right along side me advising me i know my limitations and wouldn't ever do anything to jepardize my "position" as a member of my department. ANd another thing i don't know what your statous is where its an explorer or a firefighter (feel free to tell me) but as an explorer i feel the need to try and prove my self and try and to EARN a little respect and i am sure you know the feeling and i can see where you are coming from in what you are sayin but every department is run differently and no doubt there definitly lines that explorers should not cross but i guess myself and my crew don't feel i have cross any lines but thanks for being honnest and mature

ps; good luck with joining your department stay safe

Forum Member

Problem is, btvaine, if you are an explorer and under the age of 18, you did break rules/laws. And they are Federal Child Labor laws and your Department can't make rules that against those laws.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Problem is, btvaine, if you are an explorer and under the age of 18, you did break rules/laws. And they are Federal Child Labor laws and your Department can't make rules that against those laws.
    It's like deja vu all over again.

What's the over/under for this thread, Bones...6 pages?

This is for jacklrd
    What an honor

I don't want you to think that it was just me and a line i had several highly expereanced firefighters who i respect and trust working right along side me advising me
    Experienced firefighters right along side you are not going to be able to do anything if a strut lets go and wedges it self into your chest, face, arms, or legs.

i know my limitations and wouldn't ever do anything to jepardize my "position" as a member of my department.
    I will have to disagree here. If you knew your limitations you would have told the officer who told you to pack up and take the nozzle on a working car fire "I shouldn't and WONT do that.

ANd another thing i don't know what your statous is where its an explorer or a firefighter (feel free to tell me)
    I am an explorer.

but as an explorer i feel the need to try and prove my self and try and to EARN a little respect
    You will have plenty of time to prove your self once you are LEGALLY allowed to pack up and fight fire.

and i am sure you know the feeling and i can see where you are coming from in what you are sayin but every department is run differently and no doubt there definitly lines that explorers should not cross
    And you clearly crossed those lines.

but i guess myself and my crew don't feel i have cross any lines but thanks for being honnest and mature
    your welcome

Thank you

Forum Member

Wht do all you people, always change the thread. The person who made this thread is telling you something. He or she is probly proud of themselves. Why do you guys have to say "juniors shouldn't fight fires" or stuff like that, and make the thread a debate.

makes good girls go bad

We are our own Job Security.
    Kid, shut up. Listen up. Learn. You ain't a Firefighter. I've been one for 2 years now, and I know just a drop in the bucket. You have alot to learn, and these forums are a great place to learn. So, learn from this. You messed up. Don't do it again. Learn what the dangers of car fires are, learn how Brothers get injured at them. You did wear your pack, good job. Next time, stay out of the IDLH, and watch.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

This is for jacklrd

I don't want you to think that it was just me and a line i had several highly expereanced firefighters who i respect and trust working right along side me advising me i know my limitations and wouldn't ever do anything to jepardize my "position" as a member of my department. ANd another thing i don't know what your statous is where its an explorer or a firefighter (feel free to tell me) but as an explorer i feel the need to try and prove my self and try and to EARN a little respect and i am sure you know the feeling and i can see where you are coming from in what you are sayin but every department is run differently and no doubt there definitly lines that explorers should not cross but i guess myself and my crew don't feel i have cross any lines but thanks for being honnest and mature

You really do not get it I don't think. You and Your dept broke the LAW by allowing you to do that. Do you not understand the seriousness of this or are you just thickheaded and don't want to because you feel that proving yourself is more important. Hopefully this will all sink into your brain because, god forbid, that next time you do this you get seriously injured or worse yet killed. I suppose it will be worth it though because you were just proving yourself.

We're not here trying to blow sunshine up your *** pal, we're only looking out for you and your dept.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    This is btvaineain for 16.

I was at a fire the other day and was asked to light road flares-I said no, and told the other explorers there not to lite them. I am joining the department in about 90 days. Now on the dangerous-stuff-o-meter the flares rate about a .5, the car fire would be a 10.

The responsible thing for you to do would have been to say no. If you did get hurt you could kiss the explorer program, the officer who told you to pack up, and any compensation from BSA or LFL goodbye.
    Flares? what? I dont get the first part of this post????

Forum Member

It's (Self Explanatory)...

What he's saying is that even though light flares isn't extremely dangerous, he was mature and responsible enough to turn it down as well as not let other Explorers do it. He's telling btvain that he should have been mature enough to turn it down and tell the firefighters no.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

couple things

Im a vollie and will be getting off probation in mid october. Prior i was a junior for 3 years (our department did not allow us to respond and for good reason ITS NOT SAFE!)

anyway as far as a junior going to a car fire, you may think its safe, hell your probably to naive to even read what im typing but il do it anyway.

First of all you said you had the nozzle. While it is in reality the position the least experienced man should have, it is also the most dangerous. You said right off the bat a cloud of flame and smoke came at you when the hood was popped. If something like the tranny had been burning, you could of gotten a bunch of fireworks exploding 1 foot from your face. The last car fire i personally went to involved a Pontiac g6 i believe it was. The firewall and the transmission caught fire and it took an insane amount of water, foam and effort. We didn't even bother with the dry chem it was so bad. Every time i was told to open the hood, i would get about a foot in range and the magnesium would flare up at me. (needless to say i stood down) The magnesium can also damage your eyes for those who aren't aware its like welding with no hood for your eyes.

So right there at any basic car fire you have risk of being impaled by parts from the air bag, struts and shock absorbers in the bumper. Risk of inhalation of materials like burning rubber for example. Risk of eye damage. risk of burns which is a given. What if god forbid it was the week of the 4th of july. The car could be loaded at the *** with illegal fireworks and then your really in deep ****.

Basically what im really trying to get at is that like everyone else said, you may know some things and you may think you know alot of other things. But fire is one of the most unpredictable things on this planet. It does what it wants and it even fights back. Stay away from it until you are truly ready.

O and as far as road flares being a 0.5, im putting them at 1. I went to light one once and it flared back at me. Very dangerous what it did.
    Last edited by Mihlrad; 09-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Forum Member

First time I packed up --- I was 5 years old, we moved from a little house to a two story one. We got a bunh of boxes from the grocery store. Ahh I remember it like it was yesterday.

What I was trying to say is that I felt it was not appropriate for me(as an explorer) to light a road flare, and compared it to a car fire. RF's post explains it well.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    First time I packed up --- I was 5 years old, we moved from a little house to a two story one. We got a bunh of boxes from the grocery store. Ahh I remember it like it was yesterday.
    I vote for this post as best post in this thread!

Forum Member

What I was trying to say is that I felt it was not appropriate for me(as an explorer) to light a road flare, and compared it to a car fire. RF's post explains it well.
    Thanks i was just tired and probably didnt read it right, lol.

Thread Information