Forum Member

Default Are explorer programs really worth the trouble?

(self explanatory)

Do you really have to hold a few peoples stupidity against all of us?

Forum Member

Well... because I don't feel like being too much of an *** and saying that the question is not exactly "self explanatory," I will give your answer to what I believe you are asking.

I believe explorer programs are worth the trouble. If you can manage them well and have advisers that are into teaching the basics and ideas of the fire service, and if you have youth that are willing to learn and take things seriously, you will have a good worthwhile program. The key thing is that the rules are followed. If the rules are not fallowed then that is where an Explorer program or Junior program can become an issue.

So yes Explorer programs are worth the "trouble." It has solidified my dream to become a career fire fighter. It has given me the insight on how I can better my chances on achieving my dream. And the programs are just a good general program for youth.

EDIT: Thanks kiwi...
    Last edited by t0asty; 09-11-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Default Chill guys, it was a joke

(self explanatory)

Forum Member

Yah well i'm getting tired of posts/threads/topics that have no or little purpose that usually stir the pot.
    Last edited by t0asty; 09-11-2007 at 11:53 PM.

It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.

IACOJ BOD

The key thing is that the rules are fallowed
    Rules are followed. Paddocks are left fallow one year in 4 by a good farmer.

carrier fire fighter
    Joining the Navy then are we?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Thanks Kiwi.... And yes I am joining the navy... or I was thinking of it.... but not so much anymore. Fire service is where I want to be! And yes I like fallowing rules... helps replace the nitrogen!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    Yah well i'm getting tired of posts/threads/topics that have no or little purpose that usually stir the pot.
    Better not read my latest post in "Differences between Juniors and Explorers" by (self-explanatory) Explorer343.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Yes. It is where we get most of our firefighters from. Most of our current line officers including the chief are former explorers, myself included. I'm the lead adviser for the Explorers in my department now and while it is a lot of work, I think it is worth while.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Talking

What he said!

Forum Member

Pete and repete are in a boat. Pete falls out. Who's left?

(self explanatory)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Pete and repete are in a boat. Pete falls out. Who's left?

(self explanatory)
    Repete!?!
    Could you please extend on your post? I don't understand it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default it depens on your meaning

you have to consider what you want the explorer program for. Some departments run the BSA Program, and other run their own cadet program.

The BSA Program is not for the Fire Department, but for youth. Not to help the department, but get youth involved with civil service and introduce youth to a service and in a way provide an after school program. It just happens most of the members end up joining the department when eligible.

Like a cadet is more of a youth training program, training the youth for a career in the department.

im not trying to open a can of worms here im justing stating the goals of the BSA explorer program. There isn't just fire explorer either there happens to be allot of explorer programs and they all fall under the same guidelines.

So my hole point is, do you want to recruit youth for your department, or do you want to expose youth to beneficial life lessons that will continue to help shape our contry

Forum Member

I'm going to second your post tOasty.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whfdExplorer View Post
    I'm going to second your post tOasty.
    I'm not. One simple reason: without those "pot-stirring" posts, you'd be able to hear the crickets chirp on this board. Hell, pot-stirrage is FH.com's stock in trade now.

If you like quality posts without the usual soup-agitators, you might try IACOJ.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    I'm not. One simple reason: without those "pot-stirring" posts, you'd be able to hear the crickets chirp on this board. Hell, pot-stirrage is FH.com's stock in trade now. ...
    ok ok you got me there... but I do like crickets!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    (self explanatory)
    This is a dumb *** way to start a topic...(self explanatory)

Have a nice day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pletch View Post
    The BSA Program is not for the Fire Department, but for youth. Not to help the department, but get youth involved with civil service and introduce youth to a service and in a way provide an after school program. It just happens most of the members end up joining the department when eligible.

Like a cadet is more of a youth training program, training the youth for a career in the department.
    Not true.

Most explorer programs that I know of train their explorers in basic firefighting and ems skills. They don't just sit around with fire helmets on playing with the lights and sirens for a few horus each week. I know that after my explorers have been in the post a year, they have been through the equivalent of the Ohio Firefighter I-A class and the First Responder class. The goal of our explorer post is not to gain certification in anything though the post training (If you wanna go out and get trained on your own, go for it). CPR and First Aid are the only certifications that are gained through the post and they are certifed through the AHA and ARC respectivly. It is to introduce them to the fire service and the BSA does in fact allow for explorers to perform tasks on a fireground. Obviously not certain ones, but enough to be helpful. If, of course, the dept allows it.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Not true.

Most explorer programs that I know of train their explorers in basic firefighting and ems skills. They don't just sit around with fire helmets on playing with the lights and sirens for a few horus each week. I know that after my explorers have been in the post a year, they have been through the equivalent of the Ohio Firefighter I-A class and the First Responder class. The goal of our explorer post is not to gain certification in anything though the post training (If you wanna go out and get trained on your own, go for it). CPR and First Aid are the only certifications that are gained through the post and they are certifed through the AHA and ARC respectivly. It is to introduce them to the fire service and the BSA does in fact allow for explorers to perform tasks on a fireground. Obviously not certain ones, but enough to be helpful. If, of course, the dept allows it.
    Yep Jake, Have to agree with you here.

While I can see the sentiment of Pletch for the Explorer program being an after school program and a way to introduce those to the fire service, it isn't always the case. Explorers can and do hold a lot of weight when it comes to members moving on into the fire service, it doesn;t have to be department specific.

Personally though, I have seen several post by Pletch that are very misinformed. I can see where you are coming from to show that what she is saying is not true. I have seen the same thing on other threads where she misstated information. For myself I've been there and know where you are coming from, so I can agree with you here.

Forum Member

Not true.

Sounds like a post I know of... fairly well...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Being in the Navy would be cool, but i'm like you, the fire service is where I want to stay. I agree with yall, i'm tired of these threads having no meaning. So, somebody post something good to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    So, somebody post something good to talk about.

The price of tea in China: Too high, to low, or just right?

ANDDDD GO

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    The price of tea in China: Too high, to low, or just right?

ANDDDD GO

Other popular FH threads/Posts...

- do any of yalls hav jrs in ur deptments dat can fite rele fyres?
    - y is fyre trucks red? hows com sum of dem r green?
    - wot is ur faverate kind of siren?
    - im a jr. i hav da flashy lites. wot kind of lites du u hav? any vids?
    - im a jr. i use my flashy lites to pull ppl ovr.
    - wots ur faverate kind of helmet?
    - bakdraft is the best movie ever! i wana be jus lik those guys sum day.
    - du u hav pagerz? i thru mine against da wall @ da sta. bcuz chief got mad @ me fer scene jumping an showin up on calls when he told me not too
    - (self explanatory)
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

"(self explanatory)" was the only one I could read without thinking about it for a second or too.... And now I have a headache!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    Being in the Navy would be cool, but i'm like you, the fire service is where I want to stay. I agree with yall, i'm tired of these threads having no meaning. So, somebody post something good to talk about.

FYI.....It is YOU ALL (try running that word through a spell checker, and NOT Jeff Foxworthy's)

I know from your avatar that you reside in TN and this is normal dialect down there. However, there are many others on here who have been posting for awhile, and several of them from the South who don't type in the dialect as they talk. Same goes for New Englanders or New Yorkers, you don't see those folks typing some of their dialect and you don't see those from Wisconsin typing their talk either. (Trust me there is a whole different language in WI)

Thread Information