MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gutless NC Educators

This is a guy who should be removed from office immediately. On 9/11 no less, he makes the stupid statements and decisions reported here? Give me a break.

High School Bans American Flag
    Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007 - 11:56 PM Updated: 07:03 AM

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. – On the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, students at one high school were not allowed to wear clothes with an American Flag.

Under a new school rule, students at Hobbton High School are not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The new rule stems from a controversy over students wearing shirts bearing flags of other countries.

Gayle Langston said her daughter, Jessica, was told to remove her stars and stripes t-shirt.

“Today she wanted to wear her shirt, and I had to tell her no,” said Langston. “She didn't like it at all because I knew it would get her in trouble. Of all days, 9/11, she could not wear her American Flag shirt.”

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.
    http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn...11-0027.html#r

MembersZone Subscriber

Pure stupidity and Political correctness run amuck!! This will be reversed shortly by a barrage of public outrage. I think firing the guy is a bit much.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.
    That's simple enough, the American flag.

Badgerland FOOL

What's wrong with wearing flags of any nation on a tee-shirt. As firefighters many of us wear stickers on our helmets celebrating our Irish, Italian, German etc heritages.

Forum Member

It's a sad day when wearing the US flag in the United States breaks some sort of rule. Don't tell me that our national pride has to be compromised now, so it won't offend people. Well if they don't like it then Why Are They Here????? Last I saw there were plenty other countries they could move to -- or back to.

And as it's been said...9/11 of all days. By the way...hasn't 9/11 been designated as Patriot's Day? That's what it says on my calendar. So on a nationally recognized Patriots Day, you can't even wear the flag there? If stupidity were a religion, those people could be it's god.

Banned

Whatever happened to the first amendment and the freedom of expression. Where the heck is the ACLU?

In my opinion that principal is a POS, and that doesn't mean point of sale.

Forum Member

The ACLU is cherry picking which Rights they support.What makes you think somebody expressing pride in being an American is something they espouse?
    In 2001,I recall being insensed enough at the Red Cross for not allowing"God Bless America" to be sung at a rally because they didn't want to offend anyone.
    I still haven't donated blood to them since that time.
    I wonder what they would have done if the student had worn a Mexican flag or rainbow flag instead?

Truckie

Political correctness run amok when you can't even wear an American flag in your own country. Reminds me of those sh!& birds that didn't want to ride in fire apparatus with American flags because they though they where oppressive.
    Here try this :

IF YOU DON'T LIKE AMERICA, AMERICANS, OUR FLAG, OR WAY OF LIFE, GET OUT-GO HOME FOR CRIPES SAKE IF IT'S SO BAD HERE.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 09-12-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Amazing, in North Carolina of all places. According to the Governor's press release:
    "North Carolina is home to the fourth largest number of military personnel in the nation, about 123,000 including members of the National Guard and Reserves. Currently, more than 23,000 active military personnel and members of the National Guard and Reserves based in North Carolina are on deployment, according to the U.S. Department of Defense."

Camp Lejeune
    Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station
    New River Marine Corps Air Station
    Fort Bragg
    Pope AFB
    Seymour Johnson AFB

Forum Member

This is going to sound bad...but...

When the illegal Mexicans were rallying and waving their flag around, some bleeding hearts would be miffed if anybody said anything about it. Because evidently, they had every right to wave it. And here, American high school kids can't even display their OWN flag. Somehow, that's bad. They shouldn't be doing that.

And Trotter, the ACLU is all tied up making folks like that feel right at home I think it's high time to tell the haters in this country that if you don't like it, leave, or go home. I believe SPFDRum said it best in his post. You can't miss it
    Last edited by SapphyreBlues; 09-12-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Member

A counter point to this - recall that part of the U.S. Code (I believe section 18) makes it illegal to wear clothing that is composed of or in the pattern of the United States flag.

There is no criminal penalty for doing so, but it is is - technically speaking - illegal.

As for the ACLU - F@ck them. They pick and choose which Constitutional ammendments they support and what they choose to do with certain slants to their own political agenda.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    A counter point to this - recall that part of the U.S. Code (I believe section 18) makes it illegal to wear clothing that is composed of or in the pattern of the United States flag.

There is no criminal penalty for doing so, but it is is - technically speaking - illegal.

As for the ACLU - F@ck them. They pick and choose which Constitutional ammendments they support and what they choose to do with certain slants to their own political agenda.
    Ditto. Though compliance with the Flag Code is purly voluntary. It's not really illegal, but I try my best to abide by it.

Don't forget that money is a major driving factor in many of the ACLU's lawsuits. I mean, they've got to put food on the tables. And gold tables they are. With silk napkins and platinum dining sets. And those little tassle things on the seat cushions.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
    Last edited by GodSendRain; 09-12-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Truckie

There is no counter point to be had. The reason the school gave was because they didn't want to offend anyone. Not that it was technically a breach of the law.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Pure stupidity and Political correctness run amuck!! This will be reversed shortly by a barrage of public outrage. I think firing the guy is a bit much.
    Actually the school district super has overturned it. give a guy an inch and they'll take the country mile
    Originally Posted by the1141man
    IACOJ is what Firehouse should have been to begin with, and what it now couldn't even aspire to in its wildest dreams.- the1141man

the opinions typed in the above space are mine and mine alone

MembersZone Subscriber

I hear tap dancing.......

School Rescinds Ban On Flag Clothing

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2007 - 05:59 PM Updated: 06:43 AM

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C – A North Carolina High School that came under national attention over their rule that prohibited students from wearing items with the American flag, or any flag from other countries, has lifted the ban.

Superintendent Dr. L. Stewart Hobbs, Jr said they have lifted the ban on flags and “from this point on, all dress code changes will be made at the school board level.”

Hobbs said the county has a dress code policy in place and says individual school dress codes are not allowed.

He adds that principals cannot make a policy that exceeds the board policy, "The principal acted in good faith and said no flags."

According to Hobbs, the policy all stems from information from law enforcement of gangs wearing foreign flags as gang symbols and the board does have a policy to prevent gang signs in schools.

He said they are just as patriotic as other Americans flying the flag over the school, saying the pledge and have planned to have Constitution day at the school next week.

Under the previous rule, students at Hobbton High School were not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The board will be meeting with school attorneys to look into the issue further.

Forum Member

I just realized.......Sampson County is right next to Cumberland County in North Carolina.

So why the big deal about this???????

Cumberland County includes Fayetteville, NC - Home of Ft. Bragg, the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, 3 Special Forces Groups, Delta Force, and Pope Air Force Base.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

I just realized.......Sampson County is right next to Cumberland County in North Carolina.

Cumberland County includes Fayetteville, NC - Home of Ft. Bragg, the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, 3 Special Forces Groups, Delta Force, and Pope Air Force Base.
    It's ridiculous. I think we debated the quality of life of this part of the state in another post. It's not surprising that this decision came from the public school system. Seems to be a lot of geniuses running the schools these days. I bet you wouldn't see this in private school.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

It's just like you George, to get us all riled up over nothing.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Here's a thought: Maybe if the educators were more concerned with actually EDUCATING our youth, rather than worrying about the clothing they wear, the education system in this country wouldn't be in such pathetic shambles. One need only read some of the posts on message boards such as this one to realize that many people seem to be functionally illiterate. Or they're just plain lazy. I'm honestly not certain which is worse.

What else amuses me on the topic is that the administrators today who are trying to ban certain clothing in schools, are no doubt the very same generation in the 60s and 70s who fought against it being done to them. "I have become my parents! "

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    It's just like you George, to get us all riled up over nothing.
    It's far from nothing. The "educators" in this country are ruining the public schools right before our eyes. They believe, and in many cases they are right, that they can do or say anything. Because they are members of a large union that has politicians and school administrators sucking their toes, they very often get away with forcing non-curriculum, extremist material down our kids throats.

This was an example where a prinicipal blatantly abused his authority in a thinly-veiled attempt to quash student's civil right to show their patriotism. Thank God this happened down South where there are apparently still som ecourageous administrators who did not buy his crap. I will bet if this happened in North Jersey, it would've stuck. Our schools up here are lost.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike Adams (UNC professor and Political Pundit) consistently writes about how his University is full of left wing loons who indoctrinate their students with their narrow point of view.

http://www.dradams.org/
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    that has politicians and school administrators sucking their toes,
    Did anyone else just puke in their mouth?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Mike Adams (UNC professor and Political Pundit) consistently writes about how his University is full of left wing loons who indoctrinate their students with their narrow point of view.

http://www.dradams.org/
    I lived in Durham, NC for 3.5 years. The freaking political correctness crap that Dr. Adams speaks of exists very firmly entrenched in teh halls of academia at both Duke and UNC Chapel Hill.

I am a Duke Graduate and my wife is a UNC graduate. The crap we endured as mildly right centrists from the brainwashed bleeding hearts was ridiculous. Don't even get me going on the crap from the Duke LaCrosse case either.......

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Two words....School uniforms.

Problem solved.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Two words....School uniforms.

Problem solved.
    We could only wish. Then the aforementioned (and almost useless) ACLU would be coming around suing over the restriction of free speech again. I mean how dare you try to stifle the little darlings' ability to be different. How dare you try to look out for their safety and well-being.

You sir ought ot be ashamed of yourself for thinking in such a horrifically un-Constitutional manner. Shame. Shame on on you.

Thread Information