Default In need of a 500 meter long firehose

We are doing some research and are searching for a company (foreign or domestic) that would be willing to make a 500 meter long section of firehose. We need this 500 meter long section to be uncut and uncoupled. For example, connecting 5 100 meter long sections together is not desired...we would like it to be all one piece. Our application is very unique, and we would likely only need single jacket / mill firehose.

Does anyone know of such a company that would be willing to make this? If so, please let me know, or point me to another resource that may help us find a company willing to do so.

Thank you for your time and help.

Forum Member

National Fire Fighter Corp. (located in Oregon) should be able to help you out.

You can call 800-423-8347 M-F 8-5pm PST.

Forum Member

Smile I gotta ask.....

Can u let us in on you unique use of said 500mtr long hose?
    Pretty Please!

Its been a slow day at work and now you just got me so dang curious.....

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Yeah, you got me curious too.....What in the world could this be used for?

Also, what about the logistics of draining a 1600 ft. length of hose?

And to answer your question, you could probably find a manufacturer to custom-build this special item.

These guys..

http://www.rawhidefirehose.com/?gcli...FQu0HgodFhoFAA

...advertise that they will make custom lengths. Or you might check with one of the big manufacturers like Darley. Good luck.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Angus makes a lot of long section for the military. I know 1000ft 4" and 5" for the Army. 6"x660' for the Navy/USMC. We have some of this from the FEPP/Mil surplus system.

We are going to use the firehose not like a traditional use of a firehose, but to house and protect cables and sensors that we plan on towing on the surface of an ice sheet (Greenland and Antarctica). Rather than keep water in, we wish to keep water out.

We want a single stretch of that long of firehose due to the spacing of the sensors, and that we are going to mount steel plates on the bottom for better sensor coupling with the surface.

We would be towing it with a piston bully in these environments. If it was light enough, we would like to autonomously pull it with our polar robot (can only tow 1000 lbs).

Unfortunately, I spoke with a representative from a company that I thought was Rawhide Fire Hose, but turns out that it wasn't. I didn't get his name or number as I was in a hurry after the call. Does anyone know of a company (I'm sure there are many) that makes polyurethane-lined single jacket hose that does exterior treating of the firehose to cause less friction? I really need to contact these people again, but my description of the company is probably not adequate to pinpoint which one it is. They said they could make a 500 meter long stretch of uncut hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not just use large diameter plastic tubing (perhaps PEX)? You can get UV resistant. Will have "slick" OD and you don't need the pressure capability ($$$) of firehose for your application. Buy it right off the extruder in any length you want (that the mfg can coil).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Why not just use large diameter plastic tubing (perhaps PEX)? You can get UV resistant. Will have "slick" OD and you don't need the pressure capability ($$$) of firehose for your application. Buy it right off the extruder in any length you want (that the mfg can coil).
    Interesting project, fascinating solution.

I imagine that many of the Plastic tubing products (Like PEX) may have problems mataining their flexibility and strength at Antartic-like temperatures. I would expect that most products become brittle and are likely to crack.

Firehoses might have a chance to retain some of their water resistence because they are made of layers of different materials, each with its own strength.

In regards to the anti-friction coatings, I understand that those are fairly common among fire hose manufacturers. My department has quite a bit of it, and we really didn't go looking for it.

Thread Information