Forum Member

Default Reunion-of sorts

At the invitation of Tom Woodward of Lakes Region Fire Apparatus we took a little journey to Rockland Maine to have a look at Hales Cafs system.I'd been wanting to get up and visit A/C Miceli and check out their "new"Ladder Tower project.We got there in time enough to have a good look around and got a good chuckle at how much had(and hadn't)changed over my thirty+ year absence.I had worked there VERY briefly in 74 a fact that A/C Mazzeo took delight in reminding me(remember I said some things HADN'T changed?).Anyway,the current administration has done a fantastic job of utilizing every square inch of the house which was built in '71.We were able to fumble our way around and I managed to get a good albeit brief chat with Chief Miceli who had to teach class in Camden that night.We found the crew to be their usual efficient engaging selves,nothing much changed there. Capt. Benner was in,I knew him from some outside classes but until that point I didn't know he was Horace's son who was my Senior man.We did a little class work and struck off for the landfill for a little hands on. Ed Sutch,from Hale put the unit thru it's paces and some good blankets were laid down.At this point Chief Jordan showed up and we had a very nice chat with the Chief that extended all the way back to the station.In talking with the Chief,we found that both our depts were working on some of the same issues and I was able to extract considerable information in the short time that we had.Thanks Rockland Fire/EMS,we'll do it again sometime.Maybe you'll come my way,we'll do lunch.To wrap up the evening,Tom,Ed,Eric,and I went out to catch a bite which made for a perfect end to a perfect day.Thanks guys for everything. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

TC, thanks for coming I wish I was able to stay longer. See, I knew NIMS was going to screw things up somehow. Glad to see the guys made themsleves look busy (just kidding, we are quite fortunate to have a great crew). My guys took great delight in the fact that Capt. Cartman was really Capt. Cartmen. His name really isn't Eric Cartment is it? Had I been thinking (once a week only) we could have purchase groceries and had the Capt. prepare one of those fine dining meals we've been hearing of. You guys are always welcome in the house, as Tom knows the coffee is always on and sometime good. We'll certainly be heading west for a visit as well.

Thanks again to Ed Sutch, Tom Woodward, Hale Product, and Lakes Region Fire Appartaus for holding the class. Thanks to our brothers in Bridgton, Lincolnville and Thomaston and our guys for coming out and not making me look the fool with a poor turnout.

Forum Member

No,to the real world that's Eric Field.He did remark he'd like to come up on a friday afternoon and run a couple days with you guys.Perhaps you could run that by the Boss as I'd enjoy it as well?I'm sure we can produce the appropriate paperwork as needed.He is housebroken but has a few rough edges that could stand a little filing.Cheffing? I'm sure with the appropriate notice we could arrange something,in either your house or ours.Got a grill? Required item for most of our creations.I kind of think of Eric as a cross between the Engine operator in Backdraft(yes,there is a similarity)and a carbon copy of Cartman.He's decent help(don't ever tell him I said that)and has potential to amount to something some day.Like the proverbial bad penny,we'll be back and we extend the same invitation to stop in here.Sundays are best as it's the only time that we have a guaranteed crew in house. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Hale CAFS, Good or Bad??????

Rescue101,

I am curious in your opinion on the Hales Cafs system.

Had a chance a few weeks ago to work with the system at work with some senior people from Hale.

I thought it had some good points and some BAD points. After playing with the system I would at this point not lean towards a Hale Caf's.

What is your opinion???

Chief1FF

Forum Member

Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to play with the system and my knowledge of Cafs is somewhat limited.Things I liked:Operationally the system is simple,foam application throughout the range was consistant and it appeared any operator could consistantly deliver foam. Things I didn't like: Toward the "high"side of the dry foam delivery it appeared to have too much air in relation to foam concentrate resulting in extreme air pulses from the nozzle.Whether or not this is a result of normal operation or the operator operating outside of limits,I don't know.I dislike having to shutdown and restart the unit everytime you go to non Cafs operation back to cafs.The fully automated part of the system I have mixed feelings on:I come from the "old" school and generally prefer to do things myself. The system does deliver a very nice foam throughout the range,from "dishwater" to Shaving cream.And depending on settings,the quality of that delivery DID NOT change.I'd like to try the Waterous system so I could compare notes.We've run Hale products for a long time,I'm very happy with the performance of the products we've purchased and the company support.And I'm still trying to further my education on Cafs,I believe it's a valuable tool for the toolbox.So I hope I've semi answered your questions,what were your concerns? T.C.

Forum Member

TC, since we missed you in Harrisburg, bring yourself on down here and try our Eclipse/Advantus. Our summer doesn't really end until sometime in October. Stop in N.J. and look at Capt. Lou's also.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home.

Forum Member

Default Carefree AZ

Hale CafsPro???
    Call Carefree Arizona.
    (480) 488-3686 City Hall
    Ask for the fire station number.
    Theirs is an American LaFrance.
    Later

Forum Member

Talking Me!

It's nice to see that I am getting talked about. (In good terms) It's not all ways the best to have your name out across the states. I think as long as it's my nick name I am safe! I love making it out to visit our brothers and sisters. I can count on picking up a new way of doing things and just might drop off a tip that I have. I just wanted to thank the white shirts of Rockland,Tom,Ed, and of course My hero TC! I am here spreading the word HAVE GAS,WILL TRAVEL! Till next time.

Thread Information