Forum Member

Default 2006 AFG Awards?

I see another round for 2006 was posted today....how much money is left for 2006 awards and/or how many more rounds for 2006?

Seems strange that they are still giving awards for last years program...

If your department has been awarded for 2007, do you still have a shot at the 2006 awards?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by steelman View Post
    I see another round for 2006 was posted today....how much money is left for 2006 awards and/or how many more rounds for 2006?
    Based on some calculations; grants for 2006 are probably coming to a close shortly. The program was funded for $539,550,000 with $474,804,000 available for awards. Off the top; up to 5% for admin, 5% minimum for FP & up to 2% non-affiliated EMS.

To date the AFG has awarded $475,678,567; meaning that the AFG has not used the full % for admin &/or EMS and is being used to supplement more grants. The question is how much more of this extra $ is available from admin & EMS.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To answer the last part if your 2007 was for the same project as 2006 then no if you were already awarded the 2007. If you haven't been awarded or even pending for the 2007 then you could get the 2006 instead. What they have been doing if the projects are similar is combining them in the 2006 award and passing on the 2007.

Forum Member

how about this......we made it through peer for 06 but didn't get awarded, requested equipment - emergency generator, tic, washer extractor and ldh hose.

we decided the reason for not being awarded was due to the "laundry list" request.....for 07 we requested the emergency generator only and were awarded in the 3rd round.

do we still have a shot at 06, minus the emergency generator?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Only if your denial letter from 2006 stated that you'd be eligible if excess funds came up. In theory they could end up having more money than they covered with those style of DJs, but I think they overestimate by a good bit when sending those out.

MembersZone Subscriber

how about this......we made it through peer for 06 but didn't get awarded, requested equipment - emergency generator, tic, washer extractor and ldh hose.

we decided the reason for not being awarded was due to the "laundry list" request.....for 07 we requested the emergency generator only and were awarded in the 3rd round.

do we still have a shot at 06, minus the emergency generator?
    If you have not recieved a reference to the 2006 grant in your 1199A and/or q's, the chances for a supplemental grant are probably nil at this point.

MembersZone Subscriber

The department to the south of me just got their 1199a and 10Q's this week for an '06 award. They submitted $225K for a pumper/tanker. I haven't heard of a reduction notice yet, so I don't know what the fina award would/will be.

Forum Member

$225,000 is within the maximum funding allotment for a Pumper/Tanker, so I can't see them being reduced.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    $225,000 is within the maximum funding allotment for a Pumper/Tanker, so I can't see them being reduced.
    That's what I was thinking, but never know with limited $$$ I guess. Their chief called me the other day to ask for help filling out the 10Q's. Poor guy was about to wet himself with excitement! They got bunker gear and airpacks in '05, but have been trying every other year for this truck without any luck.

He's been mad as a hornet (maybe more jealous, but you knwo what I mean) since we got our pumper/tanker in '05, then got even hotter when we got our second apparatus grant this year. They definitely need and deserve it. He's convinced now he needs to get off his duff and get to a seminar, as are several other chiefs in the county.

Forum Member

we were awarded a tanker in 05 and ended up upgrading to a pumper/tanker, price tag was a hair over 225,000....don't know what that department is looking at but definately steer them towards a custom cab and chassis, we went with HME, great truck.....thicker frame rails, beefier suspension, thicker aluminum than the competition (even the big boys on the block)....

still holding out hope for an 06 award, we made it to the final cut according to our dear john last year.........

sly, where are you? noticed the carolina blue engine...........

Forum Member

sly, where are you? noticed the carolina blue engine...........
    Pennsylvania, land of colorful apparatus!

Thread Information