Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this line of questioning.

I'm a full time fabrication employee. I do not want a career change at this time, but I want to assist my community and earn new skills. A friend of a friend once told me they had an automotive day job, and on nights and weekends they were paid EMS attached to a county FD. I would like to pursue a similar goal if possible.

I live in a very small, rural town, and I'd like hear from those that are paid, part-time emergency workers. I'm very serious about doing this, but not sure about the best way of going about this. I joined a Medical First Responder class and decided to pay my own way through it to make myself more "attractive" to local FDs or EMS. It seems like I'm doing things "backwards" because everyone else in the class is getting their MFR paid for by their department.

It made sense to me to take the class, go on some ride-alongs, get my feet wet, and make sure this is something I can handle before I waste some station's time interviewing me only to find out later I don't have what it takes.

I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance to accomplish what I'm after: to be a paid part-time emergency worker.

Thanks for your time,

TC