Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default situational awareness

In case anybody has been lacking in their "situational awareness". Situational awareness is the new catch phrase! And, I have to tell you it is annoying the **** out of me. So lets start a thread and see how many times we can use the term "situational awareness" in a post. For those of you that have used your "situational awareness" while reading this post I have used it 5 times so far. I realize this might be a bit overboard, but I have had a fairly frustrating day and it is now 12:30 in the morning and this stupid catch phrase has annoyed me way too much.

Default New?

Military has been using it for years. I find it the best way to be cognizant of your surroundings, enviornment, fuel in your gas tank, air left in your cylinder, where you are at, etc.

So tell us the sitrep for why your annoyance with the term?

I have no angst to the action, realy I am all for it. Just what seems to me the overuse of the catchphrase lately. It's the same stuff we have been doing for years (or at least should have been) but now Dr. Phil uses the word once and everyone has to follow suit. Realy it falls in line with a lot of trendy terms that come and go. But for some reason this one raised a hair on my rear end last night.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Post removed....pic failed for some reason.....
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-15-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

More lack of situational awareness....

Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51 View Post
    ...Realy it falls in line with a lot of trendy terms that come and go. But for some reason this one raised a hair on my rear end last night.
    LOL I gotcha!
    I have one word for you for now then; "paradigm"
    I still don't know what it means and quite contented about it.

Got it drummed into me in the Military 24 years ago, where it actually means something like.

"Seeing the shyte first, and reacting first, with the most firepower, before it takes your life."

Any other meaning placed to that expression and someone is blowing smoke up your date.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Situational awareness = action beats reaction, everytime.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Dang it, why did my pics go away?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

So what if Dr Phil (and he's not really a doctor.he just plays one on TV)uses the term?It's still a good idea to stay aware of your surroundings.
    One of my pet peeves is,for an example,people who will watch a TV show with numerous weather alert breaks,then go outside to play with their toddler and then get upset for not knowing when the tornado sirens go off because a warning was issued for the county as a funnel cloud passes over the NW corner of the county.
    Paying attention makes life so much easier.

Yeah, I agree doughesson. I just hate the word, and Dr. Phil. I'm convinced that he is the least gay man on the planet, based upon the fact that he hates men more than any group of women you will ever meet. I actualy watched his show once for about 10 minutes (the boss at work turned it on and I wanted to see how long he would watch, turns out I got sick before he gave up) anyway in that 10 minutes I determined that it did not matter what any man would ever say on his show because all he does is side with women. I believe that this is a ploy so he can bed as many women as possible by seeming like a pansie and being in touch with thier feelings. He may just be the biggest player on the planet. But he is still a ******bag.

Forum Member

Wink new term for old idea

Situational awareness (there I used it) is nothing more than making sure you are not traveling through this life with your cranium inserted rectally. Seems I have seen a lot of personnel who are unable to do that (utilize their cranium for more than a buttplug that is).
    Last edited by Binaroundawhile; 09-17-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: felt like it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    So what if Dr Phil (and he's not really a doctor.he just plays one on TV)uses the term?It's still a good idea to stay aware of your surroundings.
    One of my pet peeves is,for an example,people who will watch a TV show with numerous weather alert breaks,then go outside to play with their toddler and then get upset for not knowing when the tornado sirens go off because a warning was issued for the county as a funnel cloud passes over the NW corner of the county.
    Paying attention makes life so much easier.

Phillip Calvin Mcgraw, Ph.D

Dr. Phil holds a Ph.D from University of North Texas in clinical psychology. By the way, Ph.D are the only REAL doctors. No other degree has anything near the acedemic research standards that a Ph.D demands.
    Last edited by malana1; 09-18-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Start flying airplanes. Situational awareness becomes a necessity rather than a catch phrase.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information