Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: recruiting

Forum Member

Default recruiting

Does anyone have any ideas on recruiting junior f/fs from high school and stuff. Right now there are only two juniors at our dept. Thanks

Forum Member

Recruiting is no different than marketing soap or cereal or radios.

You have to understand what your "product" is and what your audience is.

What is your "product" as a fire department? The product is the "why people join". Excitement. Training and learning new skills. Using existing skills. Comradarie & Brotherhood. Teamwork. Basically you need to identify what your department has for reasons to join.

Now, take those "products" and look at the folks in your school and determine who would be interested in your "product". This is your audience.
    There will be multiple audiences. Example - those who play team sports may be looking at the teamwork and brotherhood side of firefighting. Develop a marketing plan that emphasis that part of the experience. There may be another group that may be into the adventure side of it. Your kayaykers and rock climbers and skiers and such - address that particuliar aspect of firefighting in your plan.

Now when you develop materials, mention all of your products on some way. If funds are limited distribute them in areas where your audiences tend to be.

So basically, know your product. Know your audiences. Make sure you mention your products in materials and displays. Know where your audiences are. Attack your audiences.

three till next week there 2hot2catch. That hurts
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Try a search

I should just write some articles and be able to post links to them.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

lol 3 but ur like 18 so u dont count but still

That did not make any sense.

What are you talking about?

You're the one asking the question and I didn't have time to write everything that I usually do so I suggested a search.

I have quite a bit of experience with explorer post recruiting.

Trust me.

But wait, since I'm only like 18 I don't matter.

But still.

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

RFRDExplorer, calm down. The being 18 and not mattering was directed to me. Me and 2hot2catch are members of the same department. He was saying that since i turn 18 next week he was not counting me as one fo the juniors, especially since I'm not even in the same state, as I am away at college. He wasn't saying anything deragatory(sp) towards you. I am almost certain that 2hot will gratfully accept any and all advice.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    RFRDExplorer, calm down. The being 18 and not mattering was directed to me. Me and 2hot2catch are members of the same department. He was saying that since i turn 18 next week he was not counting me as one fo the juniors, especially since I'm not even in the same state, as I am away at college. He wasn't saying anything deragatory(sp) towards you. I am almost certain that 2hot will gratfully accept any and all advice.
    So why don't 2hot learn something new today so he doesn't create more havoc in the future? This problem could have easiy been avoided if he knew what he was doing because it looked to me that he was directing his post at RFRD.

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot2catch View Post
    lol 3 but ur like 18 so u dont count but still
    I see you don't post often, but to avoid these problems, use the quote button... please.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Recruiting

We just spent two days at our local highschool during lunch, handing out applications and getting to know the students. We don't have a junior/explorer program but in our combination dept. we could use the extra manpower that high schoolers can provide.

We negotiated with school faculty and set conditions for when students can respond and set down a "no pass, no play" rule, and some other guidelines.

If you can go out to the schools to recruit, that is a great way to market your department and interact with the public.

We handed out 20 applications and had kids that were interested sign a roster. Most of them were 15-16 yrs. old, so they can't volunteer, but many were interested in just coming by the house to help out any way they could.
    A lot of the seniors were too busy with athletics/academics etc.., but if that is their priority, so be it. Again, it's a great public relations tool. Just make yourself accessible and approachable and the kids will get interested.

good luck recruiting. I'll let you know how effective our school visit was in a few weeks.

peace,

-jacob

Thread Information