Thread: Tvf&r

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tvf&r

I was just wondering if anyone is going through with them, has gone through their process in the past, has decided to withdraw from their process or has already been hired by them. I am still in the process and am slated to take the CPAT in late November

Let's talk fire trucks!

There are a lot of "TV" departments out there. You referring to Tualitan Valley?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry I didn't think about that. Im talking about Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue in Oregon

Forum Member

I am also doing the CPAT with TVF&R in November. This will be my second pass with them on this list. I did the CPAT & chief's interview earlier this summer.

Without going into too much detail....their chief's interview was TOUGH. I work in a large corporation (and have for 10 years) so I've been through my share of panel interviews...both as an interviewer and interviewee and their interview was challenging. After I walked out, I just didn't feel like I nailed it.

I think they took 100 people off the list for the first hiring to take the CPAT. From there, I believe they interviewed 70 people....and hired 28. If you compare the original list to the updated list, you'll see people all up and down the list that were hired.

Not sure if they were "medic-heavy" on this first hiring.....or if their interview was just that tough.

Good luck...maybe I'll see you around at the end of November.

BTW, did you jump up pretty high on the list after the update?
    Last edited by Jwarne2001; 09-17-2007 at 01:17 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wait a minute, so your telling me that they only intervied 70 hired 28, so the 42 that were not hired are still on the list? That doesn't make any sense. I am starting to plan for the interview now. I have a family friend who is a Bat. Chief with TVF&R who said that he would help me prepare for it. I only moved up 30 spots

Forum Member

As far as I know, yes.

Those that were interviewed, but weren't hired, were put back on the list. From what I understand, they also removed any people that they felt would not be employable there (after the interview.) Also anyone who wanted to be taken off the list was also removed.

But everyone else that wasn't hired, removed or had withdrawn....is back on the updated list.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont understand that. So people went through the CPAT and the chief's interview and get to do it again? I know that you are one of those people and I know that if I would have studied more in the begining I would not be ranked where I am now. Do you know if they are going to take all 155 or so people that are on the list now into this final CPAT?

Forum Member

I don't know how mnay they're taking to CPAT this time....if you got an invite at 155, then it sounds like they're taking a lot of people to CPAT. The email I saw said this would be the last hiring off this list so maybe they want to take a look at everyone for the Spring Academy.

It seems like they are very selective about who they take off the list....and it shows. Every person I've met there is all about service, going the extra mile, etc.

I would venture a guess that the first hiring may have had a lot of medics in it. I heard they had 49 medics on their list and 49 went to the first CPAT. It's pure speculation on my part....but it does make sense. I think they are experiencing some of the same personnel issues that Portland is (many people retiring, new station opening, etc.) They've got a lot of spaces to fill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im not number 155, Im in the 120's. I got an email from Mrs. O'Connor that said that all the medics on the list even those at 180 were taken into the first test. Im hoping that they just take everybody and see who passes the CPAT and who doesn't then start to narrow it down

Forum Member

Ah....just saw 155 in your post.

Good luck on the CPAT.

Forum Member

Bummer.

Just received an Email from TVFR (2 weeks before CPAT) saying that they have "determined that we do not need the additional staff a spring 2008 academy would provide. Thus, the CPAT scheduled for November 30 and December 1, 2007, has been cancelled."

Looks like they'll hold the list until SP09 in case their staffing needs change....but I'll wager that they are probably done with the current hiring list.

I hope I'll be eating crow with that last statement.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah I got that email and was bummed. Rumor has it (and this is only a rumor) that they will be opening up again in mid to late november to start everything again. That is what one of the BC's had told me when I talked to him about 3 weeks ago
    This is kind of distrubing:
    "Candidates who were removed from the eligible list due to failure to attend the CPAT Orientation or Timed Practice (or failure to return a waiver for one of both events by the date of the event), will be reinstated to the eligible list." Why do they keep putting people back on the list that have already been taken off the list or failed to do something which disqualified them from the list?

Any update on portlands list?
    Last edited by GoCougs; 11-15-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't heard from Portland other than the call I got about 6-8 weeks ago asking about my EMT certification level.

When you say they are opening up in mid November to start everything again...do you mean from the beginning (I.E. written test?) Or start at the CPAT again? Also, I'm assuming by mid November you mean of 2008, correct?

My take on the Email (and just my opinion from the different things I read) is that they are done with that list. They'll keep it around just in case....but unless 25 people unexpectedly retire in the next 6 months, we'll all be retesting in SP09.

Forum Member

not to hijack this thread, but a little update on portland.

we just started a new academy class on 11-15. i think they will probably be starting a trainee class around 12-13 and then another FF/EMT class 8 weeks after that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pro300 View Post

we just started a new academy class on 11-15. i think they will probably be starting a trainee class around 12-13 and then another FF/EMT class 8 weeks after that.
    Appreciate the update. Any idea how far Portland is on the FF/EMT list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pro300 View Post

Thanks for the update. so are they taking 12-13 constantly through the trainee class or only on an as needed basis?

Forum Member

when i said 12-13, i meant december 13th. the numbers from the trainee list and ff/emt list vary from class to class, however, they are running 15 through at a time. so it could be 10 trainees and 5 recruits, or any possible combination. not sure about how far down they are. i want to say around position 45 or so on the list, but i can't be for sure, so please don't take my word on that as i'm trying to go off memory.

Forum Member

TVF&R won't be hiring until at least Fall of 2008. Perhaps not until Spring of 2009. I do not know if we will use the current list or start over. We have run two academies this year, one with nine recruits and one with 29. The last academy had more basics than medics. We anticipate opening a new station at the end of 2008 or the begining of 2009. Hope that clears some things up for you guys.

Forum Member

thanks for the update...good to know there is testing coming up again.

Thread Information