Forum Member

Default Collective Bargaining

Hey bros, just wanted to find out if you guys have any "new" news on the Collective Bargaining Bill?

the 4-1-4

Check out this link :

http://www.iaff.org/07News/071707CB.htm
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-980

Collective bargaining is a right which we have and are grateful for in my state. It is also a right that professional firefighters should have in every state.
    Last edited by jasper45; 09-17-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Forum Member

Collective bargaining is a right which we have and are grateful for in my state. It is also a right that professional firefighters should have in every state
    Must be nice, here we have collective begging.

We don't even have collective begging.
    We have spread the word to our fellow union brothers and sisters and families to call their senators and urge them to support the Public Safety Bill.

Forum Member

I live in Tennessee and we are a "Right to Work" state. It is very hard to deal with our city government. We are hoping that this bill passes the Senate and then gets by the President. This will greatly improve our ability to get some things accomplished such as staffing and pay issues. I appreciate your comments.

Forum Member

Have to agree with Jasper here. I happen to live in the same state so I understand the benefits of collective bargaining. Hopefully this bill does pass and gives all brothers and sisters the same opportunities that we do enjoy here. However, this is not to say this wouldn't be beneficial to us here as well, there has been a lot of talk from the state legislature about doing away with such a benefit. It has been fought for in the past and won, but it is a never ending battle and hopefully this federal legislatation will bring an end to all that.

Forum Member

Default Collective bargaining

I would encourage everyone, even if you dont belong to a local to call and write letters!!

Dear IAFF Member:

We need your IMMEDIATE assistance! Call your U.S. senators NOW or the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act giving collective bargaining rights for all fire fighters throughout the nation could fail to pass the Senate.

The National Right to Work Committee and League of Cities are using unfair and deceitful methods and attacking YOU and the work you do in their efforts to derail our legislation and prevent it from passing the Senate.

In every office, senators are receiving dozens of calls -- from CONSTITUENTS in their states who support Right to Work and the League of Cities -- urging them to vote against the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act.

The message is simple: Tell your senators to co-sponsor and support Senator Judd Gregg's (R-NH) Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act to help fire fighters and police officers. Click here to look up your senators or call (202) 224-3121 TODAY!

YOU need to tell your senators that the National Right to Work and League of Cities are just wrong!

The IAFF has worked long and hard to ensure collective bargaining rights for all fire fighters and public safety employees. We won passage of the bill in the U.S. House in July with more than 300 votes. But the lying, scare tactics and pressure from these anti-labor groups is threatening this national collective bargaining law. You can make a difference!

Help us win!!!!!! We have come too far to lose.

Click here for more information on the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act.
    Greatfdjob

MembersZone Subscriber

Each year I travel with my executive board to Washington DC [in March] for the IAFF Legislative Conference. We have been lobbying with our brothers from around the country and on behalf of the federal firefighters for collective bargaining rights along with other FIREPAC issues.

Sometimes we take this basic right for granted in the North East. This needs to be changed, and we should not rest until we all have the right to sit across the table to negotiate wages, hours, conditions of employment, benefit packages, and most importantly, health and safety issues with the municipalities that we work to protect.

Stay safe and keep the faith.

Forum Member

I can tell you that we have 2 State Sentors that are not going to support this bill. Both of them are Republican and do not support public safety. One of our Senators used to be a Mayor of a medium size city in our State and he did not support public safety during his stint as Mayor. In fact, he cut several positions from the fire department. On the other hand we have numurous Congressmen on both sides of the aisle who support public safety and did so by voting for this bill. We have worked very hard to get these guys elected and it finally paid off. Now I hope that there is enough support in other States to get this by the Senate.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by jcfireman432 View Post
    I can tell you that we have 2 State Sentors that are not going to support this bill. Both of them are Republican and do not support public safety.
    What is great about the hill is that they are greatly influenced by peer pressure. If 'friends' of your senators, or 'ranking' members from a party get behind something, others follow.

If the direct attack doesn't work, try the indirect attack!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Angry

You wouldn't believe the lack of support for this legislation in my FD. I too work in a right-to-work state. The guys in this FD have no clue. It drives me crazy! I'm doing my best to spread the word and muster support. Hopefully we can get this legislation passed. We need it here in SC.

IM22

Forum Member

In my state most of the fire departments are up to speed with this legislation and most are watching it closely. However, you wouldn't believe how many Police Officers haven't a clue about it. My local has been trying to educate our Police force about this bill and they dont understand what we are talking about. We tell them that the FOP has joined us in fighting for this bill and they tell us that they haven't heard of it. I think one of the biggest problems with the Police is that they have to so many different associations that are fighting for membership. There is the FOP, PBA and others when really they would be better of supporting a single association like we do with the IAFF.

Forum Member

JC, my wife is a deputy and for whatever reason the PBA just doesn't seem to get the info or level of importance out on issues like this. You are right, LEO's need to have ONE union. Her sheriff's office has both PBA and FOP. Neither seem to know what the other is doing. I don't quite understand it and neither do the majority of them.

Forum Member

Question

Does anyone have an update on H.R. 980? I've been doing some research but I haven't been able to find the current status of this bill in the Senate.

I hope everyone has contacted his/her respective Senators. We need all the help we can get.

E pluribus unum!

IM22

Forum Member

I think they are still trying to get the 60 votes needed to place this bill on the floor. After they get 60 votes it can be brought to the floor for discussion and then a final vote. If anyone knows any different please chime in

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

---

Bargaining Bill Introduced in Senate

October 2, 2007 -- The IAFFís top legislative priority, the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act, was introduced in the Senate October 1 with bipartisan support. Led by Senators Judd Gregg (R-NH) and Ted Kennedy (D-MA), 10 Republicans and 11 Democrats joined together as original sponsors of the legislation, S.2123.

The strong showing of bipartisan support was essential to moving the legislation forward, since major legislation requires a supermajority 3/5 vote to pass the Senate. Having 10 Republicans listed as original sponsors is a signal that the legislation has sufficient support to reach the 3/5 threshold and overcome a filibuster.

ďThis is an important step forward in our decade-long effort to secure bargaining rights for all fire fighters,Ē says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger. ďThe bipartisan support for this legislation demonstrates that we have friends in Congress who champion bargaining rights for all public employees.Ē

The next step for the legislation remains unclear. S.2123 was assigned to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (known as the HELP Committee), which is chaired by Senator Kennedy. The Committee could either take up the legislation directly or seek to attach it to some other legislation moving through the process.

---

Let's go to work!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Melissa Wagoner (Kennedy)
    October 2, 2007 (202) 224-2633
    STATEMENT OF SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY ON THE PUBLIC
    SAFETY EMPLOYER- EMPLOYEE COOPERATION ACT
    WASHINGTON, DC- Today, Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Chairman of the Health,
    Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, released the following statement on the
    introduction of the Public Safety Employer- Employee Cooperation Act.
    This bipartisan legislation will ensure that the men and women on the front lines of our
    effort to keep America safe -- our firefighters, police officers, and emergency medical
    personnel -- will have the voice they need to remain safe at work and protect our
    communities. It's a matter of basic fairness that will ensure that these first responders can
    continue their essential work and maintain strong working partnerships with the
    communities they serve.
    (As Prepared for Delivery)
    It is a privilege to join Senator Gregg today in reintroducing the Public Safety
    Employer-Employee Cooperation Act, to guarantee that all firefighters, police officers,
    emergency medical personnel, and other first responders across the country have
    fundamental collective bargaining rights. The issue is one of basic respect for this
    valuable workforce, and I urge all of my colleagues to support this bipartisan bill.
    The first responders of our state and local governments are on the frontlines of the
    effort to keep America safe. They perform difficult, exhausting work, day and night, to
    preserve and protect our communities. In this post-9/11 era, they have an indispensible
    role in homeland security as well. It is vital to our national interest to ensure that these
    essential public services are carried out as effectively as possible.
    Strong partnerships between first responders and the cities and states they serve
    are vital to public safety. Studies show that cooperation between public safety employers
    and employees improves the quality of services communities receive and reduces worker
    fatalities. These strong, cooperative partnerships are built on bargaining relationships.
    Every New York City firefighter, emergency medical technician, and police officer who
    responded to the disaster at the World Trade Center on 9/11 was a union member under a
    collective bargaining agreement, and those agreements strengthened their ability to
    respond in that time of crisis.
    Unfortunately, many first responders across the country do not have basic
    workplace protections. 29 states and the District of Columbia guarantee all public safety
    workers the right to bargain collectively, but 21 states deny some or all of their public
    safety workers this fundamental right.
    Our nationís first responders have earned the right to be treated with respect. The
    Cooperation Act will ensure that they receive that respect, and will benefit from the same
    protections enjoyed by many other workers across the country. The bill gives public
    safety officers the right to bargain over wages, hours, and working conditions, and
    ensures that these rights are enforceable in state court. It also provides an efficient and
    effective means to resolve disputes in labor-management conflicts.
    The Cooperation Act accomplishes these important goals in reasonable, moderate
    ways. States that already have collective bargaining in place for public safety workers
    are not affected by the bill. States that do not currently provide these protections may
    establish their own collective bargaining systems, or ask the assistance of the Federal
    Labor Relations Authority in doing so. This approach respects existing state laws, and
    gives each state full authority to decide how it will comply with the basic standards.
    Americaís public safety workers are prepared to put their lives on the line for their
    community each and every day. They deserve a voice at the table in the life-and-death
    decisions about their work. Itís essential for their safety, the safety of our communities,
    and the safety of our entire nation. Itís a matter of basic fairness for these courageous
    men and women to have the same rights that have long benefited so many other
    Americans. I urge Congress to act quickly to provide these fundamental protections.
    ###

Thread Information