Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We also use the 2.5" for long stretches into something like a school. There is no such thing as a standpipe around here. 2.5" goes in the front door to some area deep inside the building as needed. There is a "high-rise pack" with 1.75" hose and a gated-wye on female end. That can be immediately connected the end of the 2.5" and its like having a stand pipe wherever we want it. We could also run two hand lines off it with that gated wye given we can support that kind flow with it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Let the fire decide

I only read several posts so perhaps this was said already. But its quite simple in reality. A certain volume of fire puts off so many BTU's. To extinguish it you must apply water at a flow rate the equals or exceeds the amount required to absorb those BTU's. Thus the required flow rate that one determines is necessary to do this will dictact the size line required. 90% of the time it usually is well with in the limits of a 1.75" line. In simpler terms little fire little water, big fire big water. Less simple but what one needs to consider in the real world are what man power is available to place lines into operation, what is the water supply (booster tank, hydrant system, static sources) able to supply and finally looking beyond the volume of fire on arrival what is the potential growth possibilites. May be a one line fire on arrival but if you cant get it knocked / contained early it may, depending on many variables, grow rapidly beyond the capablities of one 1.75". So pull what you need but be prepared to flow more if things go to ***** and we all know that can and does happen and usually in a big hurry.

My 2 cents

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Those of you who have read my previous posts on hoselines know my volly FD uses 2 inch hose with a 200 gpm at 75 psi combo nozzle backed by a 1 1/4 inch slug tip. This is the only size handline we have, well besides our 1 inch forestry hose.

We normally move this with 2 or 3 firefighters. Our SOG has a dry line advance to a point of safety, charge the line and then kill the fire. Honestly, we have no difficulties moving it around dry or charged.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Harve-I don't work til tomorrow! I am practicing say "Engine, Truck, and Ambulance" though! There is no other way for PSC to figure things out! People will really have to start learning to wait for the identifier now!

As far as this subject goes, maybe you all can donate some 2 1/2 to the Boulevard!

Stay Safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

"I am practicing say "Engine, Truck, and Ambulance" though!"

LOL, I can see the increased use of Nextel by mid October.

beep, "Hey Gallagher, are you running on this box with your wagon?"
    beep, "Yeah."
    beep, "Okay, pick up my line at ...."

No 2-1/2 at all?

"classic"
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    (note - it's standard practice here to go with uncharged)
    As it probably is in most places where people have to do it often.

Forum Member

The majority of our handlines are 1 3/4", we have 2 1/2" handlines off the rear of the engines with smooth bore nozzles, our front line engine on structure fires has the 1 3/4 handlines like the rest, and we also have a 2" handline for when we need alittle more water. Like it's been said before, the majority of the time you wont need anymore than 1 or 2 1 3/4 handlines if used properly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we do carry two short sections for the pony lines in the standpipe packs.........but thats it!

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Okay, food for thought...a 2.5 is heavy and cumbersome to drag up to a 2nd floor in a residential sturcture..but..does everyone forget about advancing the line dry? I've done it before with a limited crew and the fire seated on teh 2nd floor...it's hard, but it's much easier than trying to drag a charged 2.5 up the stairs.

Department policy states any line going interior must be charged before entering the structure.

It works for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Abbott0489 View Post
    i've done training using a 2.5 for basment fires. Due to the lack of ventilation and higher heat conditions, it was thought greater gpm's on the fire would be benifitial. It worked... when you had 8 people moving the line, but not much better than an 1.75 would in the same exact situation.

It really is more about how you use your water than how much you flow.

How many times do you see people not hit the ceiling first? How often do you see a fog pattern come out of a nozzle rather than a nice hard straight stream? How often do you see ventilation not being preformed where and when it should be to coincide with the extinguishment of the fire? How many times do you see the nozzleman flow water, then shut it down, repetedly doing so and not aggressively making a knock?

Simple conclusion: Would it work? Yes, of course. Is it practical? No. But every situation is different...
    You can't speak for or appreciate the difference until you are actually working a real fuel load, not 2 racks of hay. I will also caution you when using the example you do to move a deuce and a half. 3 or 4 good motivated ff's can smoke 8 lazy unmotivated ones any day of the week.

I would consider ammending your statement to say its about how much water you flow AND how you use it. You can have five star nozzle handling technique, but not enough agua might just send you to a deep dark place and vice aversa.

Handline selection will always be dependent on things such as location and extent of fire, type of construction, wind, and staffing and a few other factors. At every fire, all of them must be considered before any hose is pulled.

Be safe young Jedi.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Okay, food for thought...a 2.5 is heavy and cumbersome to drag up to a 2nd floor in a residential sturcture..but..does everyone forget about advancing the line dry? I've done it before with a limited crew and the fire seated on teh 2nd floor...it's hard, but it's much easier than trying to drag a charged 2.5 up the stairs.

Department policy states any line going interior must be charged before entering the structure.

It works for us.

And if all you ever fight are fires in single family dwellings this is perhaps a defensible tactic. Unfortunately, it is entirely foolish and energy wasting to charge a hoseline at the door of a 480 by 250 foot building if the fire is deep within the structure and you can SAFELY advance to a point close to the fire before charging the line. I know you will tell me a million reasons why this is wrong but it is a tactic used everyday in this country.

We have decided BIG IS GOOD

Our primary attack line now is a 6 foot by 3 foot line we call "Da Door Filla"

Smack the door in, plug in the hose and let er go.

Gets real good results real fast.

Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Most of our residental structures are single story affairs. A small percentage are 2 stories as land is cheap here and it has been customary for folks to build wide rather than high.

We do have a few wide-rises (a grocery store and 3 schools) and there has been talk of formally amending this policy for these structures only.

The other commercial structures can easily be had with a 200-300' handline and for safety reasons, it probably makes more sense to not change the policy with the exception of the schools, and maybe, the grocery store.

As I understand it, this policy is long standing was was designed to minimize the decisions which needed to be made by our younger personnel. As we fight even fewer fires now, it makes sense to me to stick with it as we have folks that have been on 4-5 years and still would be considered "inexperienced" by some standards.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-20-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Forum Member

never ceases to amaze me, atleast youre good for something.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

We stretch dry as far as we can into every type of building we have. I always thought that dry hose is easier to move than charged. Granted, I have been on a truck for 11 years now, so maybe I'm wrong, maybe something changed along the line somewhere.

We don't have any problem with 1.75, we carry some 2.5, but stretch the reduced most of the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Most of our residental structures are single story affairs. A small percentage are 2 stories as land is cheap here and it has been customary for folks to build wide rather than high.

We do have a few wide-rises (a grocery store and 3 schools) and there has been talk of formally amending this policy for these structures only.

The other commercial structures can easily be had with a 200-300' handline and for safety reasons, it probably makes more sense to not change the policy with the exception of the schools, and maybe, the grocery store.

As I understand it, this policy is long standing was was designed to minimize the decisions which needed to be made by our younger personnel. As we fight even fewer fires now, it makes sense to me to stick with it as we have folks that have been on 4-5 years and still would be considered "inexperienced" by some standards.
    How about training instead of policies that tie the hands of more experienced personnel. What if an experienced officer arrives at residence with a whole floor going? He can't stretch the 2.5" cause the policy says it must be a 1.75"? Or the closet fire in the school that you don't want to stretch the 300 2.5" for as by the time your crew gets it in there the fire has extended out of the original room? In the time it takes to institute policies and ensure all members understand them you can train them on ADULTS and tell them, that yes most often the 1.75" will be the best choice for single family dwelling, but when in doubt think like ADULTS and take the big boys line. Conversely tell them when you don't know whats burning in a commercial building that the 2.5" would be the best choice and then note that when they're certain the fire is small and hasn't extended that the 1.75" is OK? While this isn't a substitute for experience, if you make hard fast rules on which lines get pulled in which order you're bound to get bit. Experience is great when its been good experience and not when the dept has been doing it wrong forever.

BTW I'm not going to explain ADULTS to anyone here. If you want to know look elsewhere than in the forums where you get an easy out answer. Read something, learn more than just the answer. It's too easy to just see the answer and move on. Knowledge is power. Know when to look something up, why, where and how. There is a lot of good info here as well as misinformation. As the medics say: confirm it in two leads.

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking of "ADULTS"...

Tip for 2" or 2-1/2" lines
    A = Advanced Fire
    D = Defensive Operations
    U = Undetermined Location (of the fire)
    L = Large Building
    T = Tons of Water
    S = Standpipe Operations

courtesy, Fredericks, McCormack, Klett.....

William Carey
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    Speaking of "ADULTS"...

Tip for 2" or 2-1/2" lines
    A = Advanced Fire
    D = Defensive Operations
    U = Undetermined Location (of the fire)
    L = Large Building
    T = Tons of Water
    S = Standpipe Operations

courtesy, Fredericks, McCormack, Klett.....

William Carey
    Hey BCarey, now I would have thought after you're posts in another thread, you'd be the last person to give them the easy out. I'd like to see some of these Computer Chief's read some Fredricks, McCormack, et als... There's usually more to be learned from a question than just the answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some days you have to search out the good in things, help out if you can.
    Other days you just have to stay logged off.
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

You have to look at what your "residential structure" is and the room sizes associated with it. It is hard to maneuver the "big line" through a residential setting. Defensive ops, exposure protection, commercial fires=great. With residential fires you are dealing with compartmentalized fires so the volume of fire so to speak is usually well within the capabilities of an 1 3/4" line. Even if you have several rooms off at once, you can still only work one room at a time and advance to the others. A 2 1/2 will definately increase the knock down and decrease the knock down time but not significantly enough to compensate for lugging that thing through a living room. However-refer back to the room sizes, some new developments with 5,000 sq ft + homes have rec rooms bigger than a mom and pop market.

JMO.

Thread Information