+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: Oven Fires

Forum Member

Default Oven Fires

I thought I had posted this earlier, but the post seems to have vaporized, maybe because it was kind of dumb. Simple oven fire. Contents of a pan in the oven on fire in flames, but the oven is not on fire. Do you:

1) Use dry chem extinguisher in the oven, making a mess of the oven and kitchen;

2) Smother the flames with your firefighting gloves or a wet towel while someone stands by with an extinguisher;

3) Carry the flaming pan through the house and family room and extinguish it outside (recently witnessed this);

4) Hit it with two 2 1/2 lines, one fog nozzle, one smooth bore

Seems to me 1 or 2 makes sense.

IACOJ BOD

2 then 1. As opposed to your gloves or mucking around getting a wet towel, why not use a baking tray or pot lid.

after all, you are standing in a kitchen.

Or you can do what one smart Chief here in Kiwi land did a few years back (non oil fire).

He grabbed a couple of two litre fizzy drinks from the fridge, gave them a quick shake and zapped the fire with the spray.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kiwi-By fizzy drinks, I hope you don't mean beer.

How about a CO2 extinguisher-no mess to clean up.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

My choice ..

1. Smother first, though a prefer a simple lid, like we teach the public to do.

2. CO2 extinguisher. Less mess. Dry powder if CO2 not available.

Have somebody pulling the line, charged outside, in case it's more than we bargained for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    3) Carry the flaming pan through the house and family room and extinguish it outside (recently witnessed this);
    My Favorite. Could we yell 'CALLL THE FIRE DEPARTMENTTTTTTTTT!!!"?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

My choice:

CO2
    Cut breaker to oven
    Overhaul oven if needed
    Check for extension
    Go to the house

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    My choice ..

Have somebody pulling the line, charged outside, in case it's more than we bargained for.
    Do you say this stuff just to get a reaction?
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

I rember going through FF1 class and hearing somebody say a cop who responded to an oven fire not only tried to carry the pan of grease outside with no gloves it got so hot that he dropped it in the living room setting that off. Don't know how true it is but people do some dumb ****!

Forum Member

I'll probably be slammed for this, but go easy on me! We were dispatched to a house on fire a block north of my house. As a matter of fact, one of my son's best friends. Anyway, we arrive nothing showing, open the front door and light non-turbulent smoke ceiling level is encountered. I advised my back-up man to pull a line and I went in to investigate the cause and there was a pan of grease on fire on the stove. I told my back-up man to go back and get a chemical extinguisher. While waiting, I found a lid, slapped it on the pan, waited a few seconds for the fire to go out, and carried the pan outside. Now, I didn't mention the cabinet door above the pan was burning lightly, so after I deposited the pan, went back in, smothered the small flame with a gloved hand and ripped the cabinet door off and carried it outside. No water, no extinguisher, no mess. As a matter of fact, I was told by the owner of the house that the insurance company was very pleased by our actions in saving thousands of dollars in damages by not using an any water or chemicals. Now, don't get me wrong, I would never jeopardize my crew or a residence for the sake of an insurance company but it was nice to be appreciated for once.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

For oven fires, I always take in a PW can, hook and bar. I anticipate fire extension, therefore I bring these tools in. Most of the oven fires I have been on, we have taken the usually smoldering items out and dumped them in the sink and wet down with the sink sprayer. I have used the can to mist the contents a few times, keeping the door slightly cracked. If its an electric oven, pull it from the wall, unplug it and do same. We do carry dry powder, K and CO2 ext's as well, but the can is more ideal in my opinion.

We always pull the oven away from the wall and open all adjacent cabinets, doing a visual and touch test for heat if the fire in the oven is more than smoking grease drippings or something insignificant. If there is any question, we will shut off gas or electric before leaving the scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    I'll probably be slammed for this, but go easy on me! We were dispatched to a house on fire a block north of my house. As a matter of fact, one of my son's best friends. Anyway, we arrive nothing showing, open the front door and light non-turbulent smoke ceiling level is encountered. I advised my back-up man to pull a line and I went in to investigate the cause and there was a pan of grease on fire on the stove. I told my back-up man to go back and get a chemical extinguisher. While waiting, I found a lid, slapped it on the pan, waited a few seconds for the fire to go out, and carried the pan outside. Now, I didn't mention the cabinet door above the pan was burning lightly, so after I deposited the pan, went back in, smothered the small flame with a gloved hand and ripped the cabinet door off and carried it outside. No water, no extinguisher, no mess. As a matter of fact, I was told by the owner of the house that the insurance company was very pleased by our actions in saving thousands of dollars in damages by not using an any water or chemicals. Now, don't get me wrong, I would never jeopardize my crew or a residence for the sake of an insurance company but it was nice to be appreciated for once.
    They were probably "very pleased" with you because the damage did not cost more than the deductible.......

Not knowing he exact contents of the pot which is on fire, I would opt for the CO2. As mentioned, less mess, and will work if it is a pot of frying grease somebody left in the stove (water sure would make a mess). Flood it heavy with the CO2 then shut the door to the oven and let it smother. Open the door and check for extinguishment, then ventilate the residence with a ram fan after checking for any extension of hot spots.

Why didn't you list AR-AFFF as an option?

Forum Member

Take the pan and throw it into the sink and turn on the faucet!!!

Forum Member

CO2 extinguisher...Put the cone over the oven vent if you can get to it. That way, you dont have to even open the door...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    Take the pan and throw it into the sink and turn on the faucet!!!
    Umm, firefiftyfive, I'm taking that as a joke? I would think a CO2 would be a better idea than having a boiling pan of oil explode when exposed to water.

They were probably "very pleased" with you because the damage did not cost more than the deductible.......
    Yep, you're probably right!
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Default amazed

So there really is a mythical place where fires are called in right when they start? Must be a local thing but I swear around here it seems like there is a delay timer built into every ignition. The last stove fire I went to involved the stove, kitchen, dining room, bedroom above the kitchen, and half of the roof. They thought they "got it with the coffee pot". (yes, apparently Mr. Coffee is a wonderful supressant)

To the point, I have seen just a closed oven door extinguish it. IF we need to use something CO2 is first choice. If that doesn't do it call the airport. I love crash trucks.

Forum Member

PFDTruck18 Quote:

Originally Posted by LaFireEducator

My choice ..

Do you say this stuff just to get a reaction?

Huh???????????

So what exactly do you object to?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-22-2007 at 12:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    Umm, firefiftyfive, I'm taking that as a joke? I would think a CO2 would be a better idea than having a boiling pan of oil explode when exposed to water.
    Where is boiling pan of oil mentioned? If this is just a overcooked turkey in the oven that caught fire...do what he said...take it out, place in sink...turn on faucet.

Obviously if a pot of oil on the stove is on fire by the time we get there it will involve the cabinets and everything else and what will we be using to put it out??? A can of water or handline. We aren't going to get there soon enough to place a lid on it in all likelyhood.

Why is this even a question? If the fire has extended stretch a line...otherwise, give signal for food on the stove and everyone can go available when they get back to the street.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Talking sign language

FFFred, for those of us who don't know the "signal", does it involve a single digit pointed skyward while the other digits of the same hand are at extreme flexion while pointing at the homeowner \ resident with the other hand?

Forum Member

Yes that was a serious comment, a common practice that is much better than using the can!! And of course no I would not do that to a pan full of oil,then I would just put a lid or another pan on top of it. I would not use dry chem unless I really had to because that crap makes a mess,and then I would have to go all the way back to the rig or have someone bring it all the way up to us which could take a bit (too much possibly) of time!

And who the hell was charging a line??????
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 09-22-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Forum Member

What do I object to?

Over reaction. Throwing the burnt hotdogs into the sink doesnt require stretching a line. In fact, without taking a peek, you may be stretching a line on burnt toast. Over reaction my over cautious friend, thats what I object to. WE are the PROFESSIONALS. This require not getting worked up over some extra crispy bacon.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a bit confused...

Is this a fire in the oven or a fire in a pan on the stove??????

Fire in the oven......close the oven door. It will probably go out after a bit, if not crack the dorr and hit with extinguisher.

Pan fire (grease fire or whatever) why not put a lid on the pan. Take it outside and by that time the fire is probably out. For the NY'ers on the 30th floor, just cover it up and take it away from the heat source.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    I am a bit confused...

Is this a fire in the oven or a fire in a pan on the stove??????

Fire in the oven......close the oven door. It will probably go out after a bit, if not crack the dorr and hit with extinguisher.

Pan fire (grease fire or whatever) why not put a lid on the pan. Take it outside and by that time the fire is probably out. For the NY'ers on the 30th floor, just cover it up and take it away from the heat source.
    You forgot the 4 master streams on each exposure side, full 2nd alarm assignment, PIO officer, local minister, and someone from the sanitation dept...
    just in case
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

You forgot the 4 master streams on each exposure side, full 2nd alarm assignment, PIO officer, local minister, and someone from the sanitation dept...
    just in case
    I dont see the Arson investigator and the CISD team for this. I mean... someone actually had to push a button or such. They need that stress debriefing

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I dont see the Arson investigator and the CISD team for this. I mean... someone actually had to push a button or such. They need that stress debriefing
    And if it was a class K fuel (cooking oil) we should mobilize the HazMat team in case of loss of containment.

IACOJ BOD

Don not forget to stage the 100 foot tower out back for exposure please, before we enter.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information