Thread: Which is best

Default Which is best

hey, new here and am wanting to join some type of fire porgram such as the explorers. but i am unsure of which program i should go in. Whether it should be the explorers, cadets, or junior. is there a big difference between cadet and junior. ive read that explorers arn't all that great in experience. as in going on calls and doing something. from what i have read is you just stand around and watch. would it be best if i go into either the cadet side or the junior? and what things would i be able to do other than go inside a burning structure and use the scba.

well since im new i might as well introduce myself. Im from Gilbert az and am currently in Search and rescue. i have a professional cpr rating and am working towards my wilderness first responder currently. so i know a lil bit bout ES stuff.

Forum Member

explorers is fine, you personally just have to take the responsibility to go to calls, and get involved...most of the time people sit around because they don't know what to do, or aren't properly trained. If you learn and ask questions, you get involved often , and be respected and counted on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade View Post
    hey, new here and am wanting to join some type of fire porgram such as the explorers. but i am unsure of which program i should go in. Whether it should be the explorers, cadets, or junior. is there a big difference between cadet and junior. ive read that explorers arn't all that great in experience. as in going on calls and doing something. from what i have read is you just stand around and watch. would it be best if i go into either the cadet side or the junior? and what things would i be able to do other than go inside a burning structure and use the scba.

well since im new i might as well introduce myself. Im from Gilbert az and am currently in Search and rescue. i have a professional cpr rating and am working towards my wilderness first responder currently. so i know a lil bit bout ES stuff.
    First off, welcome to the Forums...
    Second off all, I won't give it to you as hard as I did others...
    FH.com isn't AIM or Yahoo!. We're (most of the respected ones around here anyways) use proper spelling and grammar... It's annoying and immature. Show some professionalism... Please take this as a fair warning... the Senior guys will get on you.
    And last... Explorers, to me, are definately the way to go, IMHO. There are some Junior/Cadet programs out there that put kids in dangerous positions (i.e. on an exterior line on a structure fire while there was a crew inside with a line and come to find out that the house was possibly a Meth Lab.). Yes... there's probably Explorer programs out there that may do the same, but the Exploring program is governed by strict rules set by the Boy Scouts to where as with Junior/Cadet program's rules are set by the department. There's A LOT you can do as an Explorer. It just depend what the department is and who is running the post. We can ride along... on fire scenes, we're simply gophers and were observers on EMS scenes because we can't have any Pt. contact. Here's a couple videos to see what we do... they're down at the bottom of the page. http://rossfordfire.com/explorers.html
    Any more questions... this is the place to ask them.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

There is no way for you to get an unbiased answer, because most people have only been in one program, two at the most, so we really have nothing to compare it to. If there is any type of program in the town you live in, thats the one I would go with out of convince. If you don't like it, quit and find another program close by. There are no two explorer posts/jr programs/cadet things that are exactly the same so everyone's experience varies. A post in one town may allow explorers/jrs to ride along, while the neighboring department does not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    There is no way for you to get an unbiased answer, because most people have only been in one program, two at the most, so we really have nothing to compare it to. If there is any type of program in the town you live in, thats the one I would go with out of convince. If you don't like it, quit and find another program close by. There are no two explorer posts/jr programs/cadet things that are exactly the same so everyone's experience varies. A post in one town may allow explorers/jrs to ride along, while the neighboring department does not.
    Yeah... what he said.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information