Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Akron ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the heads up. any info on this dept.? how many they looking to hire? how is the city of akron? how is the academy done? Thanks for any input.

Forum Member

Rumor has it that they are going to hire a boat load. That is somewhere between a bunch and a whole bunch. They are a big city the only runs fire and first repsonder for the most part. They have a couple of squads, most transports are done by the privates. I am sure that if you take a minute out of your day and search for Akron Ohio, all of your answers will be found.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well, they do a little more than first responder. If you're not a paramedic, be prepared to become one if you're hired by Akron. And if you don't live in Akron, be prepared to move there if you're hired (you also will miss out on the 15% written bonus given to those with residency). They run quite a few medic units that transport all code 3's. Code 2's are done by AMR. Rumor has it that they are looking to hire around 80. This is the first test since 2002 and there are quite a few senior guys coming out of the drop, so they need firefighters. They run their own academy which is basically a Firefighter I and II course. Good luck to all you guys that go for it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know what it is like to live in the city? I was looking at some of the data for the city and it looks like there is a lot of crime, but I know there is a large population there compared to other cities. Also, you have to live in the city itself or the surrounding towns? I know there are nice places in every city, but are they attainable to someone living on the firefighters salary? Any info is appreciated.

Forum Member

There are some really nice areas of Akron. Yes, you have to live in the city. That is until the big city mayors stop fighting with the state. The residency rule was abolished. However, the big cities are fighting it. There are some high end areas of the city also, LeBron James lives in Akron.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    There are some really nice areas of Akron. Yes, you have to live in the city. That is until the big city mayors stop fighting with the state. The residency rule was abolished. However, the big cities are fighting it. There are some high end areas of the city also, LeBron James lives in Akron.
    Could you name some of the nicer areas? Also does the city incoperate any of the towns or suburbs? Only reasn I am consindered is for my girlfriend and I would not want to move her into some ghetto part of the city . I heard that the NE section is pretty nice that true? I have a farm out in Newcomberstown, and i know its only about 30-40 min drive from there so next time I go out I want to look around the city a little. Any more info is apprecaited.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bath, Fairlawn, Hudson, Stow are some major nice areas around akron. You can get into some of the houses there on a firefighter salary because for the akron area, 44k is a good bit of money. I dont know about where your from but, the price of living here compared to other areas in ohio is relativly cheap. Cuyahoga Falls, Firestone Park are two other areas to look with smaller communities that have very affordable housing and still nice areas

MembersZone Subscriber

From the great state of New Jersey looking to move out to Ohio. We own a farm out there and I really like it out there. Thanks for the info about those areas. I dont want to get ahead of myself but i just like to be infored thats all.

Another questions how many stations does Akron run out of? How many calls per year do they get? What is the morale like there? Any more info on this would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I know a few guys that work in the area and some from Akron as well. They all seem to be very happy there. They get a lot of fires. Here is the department site.
    http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/fire.html
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LovellA1 View Post
    Bath, Fairlawn, Hudson, Stow are some major nice areas around akron. You can get into some of the houses there on a firefighter salary because for the akron area, 44k is a good bit of money. I dont know about where your from but, the price of living here compared to other areas in ohio is relativly cheap. Cuyahoga Falls, Firestone Park are two other areas to look with smaller communities that have very affordable housing and still nice areas
    You must live in the city of Akron. Sorry, but Bath, Fairlawn, Hudson, Stow, and Cuyahoga Falls do not count.

Firestone Park on the other hand is in Akron. Firestone Park has some nice little neighborhoods where you can buy a bungalow for a little over $100,000.

Akron is a pretty nice city. There are some really rough parts and some really nice parts. You'll have no trouble at all finding a very nice house in a nice part of the city for less than $150,000. Look at the West side of town.

Oh and Lebron is from Akron, but he doesn't live in the city. I believe he built his new estate somewhere in Bath Township.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley6485 View Post
    From the great state of New Jersey looking to move out to Ohio. We own a farm out there and I really like it out there. Thanks for the info about those areas. I dont want to get ahead of myself but i just like to be infored thats all.

Another questions how many stations does Akron run out of? How many calls per year do they get? What is the morale like there? Any more info on this would be appreciated.
    They run out of 13 stations. I think they run about 60,000 calls a year. The majority EMS obviously, but they do see some fire. Morale is very good from what I've seen.

Forum Member

Post how many applicants in akron?

does anyone know or how many of u out there are taking the akron oh ff test or any of u guys or girls out there know how many ppl signed up to take this test. thanks

Forum Member

When I turned in my application I asked the civil service rep that same question. He said that at the rate they were getting applications there would be probably between 800 and 1000 applicants. But that was just an estimate he made, not sure what the actual number is.

Forum Member

Default Akron

Have they closed the application period yet? I didn't see the post on their website for the job

Forum Member

The ability to turn in applications ended October 31st.

MembersZone Subscriber

any of you that turned a app in get anything back from the dept yet? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Called yesterday and you should be receiving by the middle of next as things were suppose to be mailed out Friday 11/16.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the update.. was a lil worried b/c the site said this week and really need to know my test date as the week of dec 10th is same week as my practicals for EMT..

Forum Member

Post don mcnea seminar

don mcnea seminar tomarrow in akron anyone signed up or going to the orientation at the library i was wat that was gonna consist of if anyone could respond with any information would be helpful.

Thread Information