Thread: Short Guy

Default Short Guy

I've tested twice now for fire depts in this state. The first time i had recently started school for fire protection and just wanted to see what the PAT was like. I failed it miserably. Realizing how out of shape i was, i started boxing and weight lifting. Within a few months i was in much better shape and actually got an interview the second time i tried. That was about two years ago. I plan on testing again in July and have started a new workout regimen that should get me into even better shape. Hopefully, third time's a charm. Anyway, i've heard that guys that are short have a harder time getting on the fire dept no matter how fit they may be. How true do you think this is? I'm about 5'6". I'm not gonna quit trying if it is true, i just wanted to see how much truth there is to that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never heard that. Many of my instructors were short. The captain at the volunteer dept that I am at is a little guy. As my instructors put it the fire service needs little guys to get into tight places and big guys to lift the heavy crap off of the victims. It takes all types. Just stay in shape.

Let's talk fire trucks!

You shouldn't have any issues with your height. In fact, the lieutenant I replaced at work (while deployed to Iraq, stay safe BT), was only 5'4". We have a number of members that are in the 5'6" range and do the job every day ... and if they have anything they can't reach, they just call for one of us tall guys. Keep on tryin!

Forum Member

One of the guys at my old vollie department is only 5'4" and that's when he is stretched out on a rack,a practice I do not recommend.He was also a tunnel rat in Viet Nam,which means he has lots of experience crawling into confined spaces.
    Think of ways that you can adapt to the job or adapt it to you.You'll do fine.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    One of the guys at my old vollie department is only 5'4" and that's when he is stretched out on a rack
    Whoa! not sure if I'm that uncomfortable with my height. All great points though. Thanks a lot for your input guys. It's greatly appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not the size of the man in the fight,
    It's the size of the fight in the man!

Don't let anyone tell you you are too short!

Forum Member

I'm 5' 7". I never thought of my height being a deal breaker to getting hired. We have one FF at my station who is 5' 5" and we have one who is 6' 3", and then everyone in between. Don't let your height make you think you can't get hired.

AZFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    We have a number of members that are in the 5'6" range and do the job every day ... and if they have anything they can't reach, they just call for one of us tall guys. Keep on tryin!

.....or get a step ladder.

AZFF

Forum Member

Lightbulb

It's not height... it's heart that matters.

of course, you must realize that if you do get on, you'll always manage to get assigned to go in and overhaul a cathedral ceiling, while the guy that's 6'6" will be sent to search for fire extension in a crawl space...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ BOD

That is the truth.

And it came from an Officer. (jokes Ron, just jokes)
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default size doesnt matter

i work on a truck where it would be benefical to be taller, but all i have done is make sure i out work my fellow firefighters. i keep going 100 percent and my captain likes what he sees in my work ethic, i'm only 5'6'' and weigh 150 pounds, but i can out run most of the guys on my department. keep at it and you'll get the job

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delgado85 View Post
    I've tested twice now for fire depts in this state. The first time i had recently started school for fire protection and just wanted to see what the PAT was like. I failed it miserably. Realizing how out of shape i was, i started boxing and weight lifting. Within a few months i was in much better shape and actually got an interview the second time i tried. That was about two years ago. I plan on testing again in July and have started a new workout regimen that should get me into even better shape. Hopefully, third time's a charm. Anyway, i've heard that guys that are short have a harder time getting on the fire dept no matter how fit they may be. How true do you think this is? I'm about 5'6". I'm not gonna quit trying if it is true, i just wanted to see how much truth there is to that.
    You have got to test a lot more than that to get hired. Do not get discouraged by your height. Keep a positive attitude and be confident. It will show in your interviews. Good luck.

Forum Member

of course, you must realize that if you do get on, you'll always manage to get assigned to go in and overhaul a cathedral ceiling, while the guy that's 6'6" will be sent to search for fire extension in a crawl space...
    That is the truth.

And it came from an Officer. (jokes Ron, just jokes)

Isn't that the way it's sopposed to be. I'm 5'7 and always get the TALL jobs haha.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

if only french officers can think the same way......here,if you are "short" you can not be firefighter.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Question Hey French?

How short is too short for y'all?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    How short is too short for y'all?
    for a guy:5.3 feet if you are under that,you can not be firefighter.
    for a woman:5.26 feet,same thing,if you are shorter,impossible to be firefighter.

but if you want to be POC,some small fire departments are ok and they can hire you even if you are too small.

for the firefighters,in Paris,career,no exceptions,if you are too short,you can not be firefighter.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Over here in Oz we have the very high tec Appliance distance test to negotiate.

Basically sit in drivers seat. If you can't safely operate the pedals you are too short.

BTW most of our guys are on the smaller size (under 6 foot) and it doesn't cause any probs. I'm 5' 6 and get jammed into some of the best place on the job........

Forum Member

The City of Ft. Lauderdale has a real dwarf or little person(not sure which is politically correct). He does the job quite well according to my buddies there and he's been on the job 8+ years. I don't think you need to worry.

Forum Member

No worries. I'm actually taller than one of my instructors (who's also a captain for his dept), and I'm the same height as you.

Thread Information