Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Milwaukee FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Milwaukee FD

Does anyone on here work for MFD? If so, I have some questions.

1) Do they allow people to ride along for a day, and how do you go about doing that?

2) Any idea as to when they will test next and how often do they hire off of the list (ie one class a year, two?). How many to a class?

3) Any helpful tips on the hiring process? I have never done the video type interview and am not sure how to approach it.

4) What do you like and what don't you like about working for MFD?

5) Has anyone taken classes at Milwaukee Area Tech for Fire Protection and what do you think of their program?

Thanks for all you help. I saw that they will be taking apps sometime in 2008 and I want to be as prepared as possible for it since Milwaukee is my dream department.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22 View Post

1) Do they allow people to ride along for a day, and how do you go about doing that?
    The only ride alongs I'm aware that are allowed are for current paramedic level students, and providers from other districts.

2) Any idea as to when they will test next and how often do they hire off of the list (ie one class a year, two?). How many to a class?
    Your hired as they have vacancies, and until they have enough vacancies to fill a class, you wait.

3) Any helpful tips on the hiring process? I have never done the video type interview and am not sure how to approach it.
    Video interviews suck..plain and simple..just go about it as you would any other interview.

5) Has anyone taken classes at Milwaukee Area Tech for Fire Protection and what do you think of their program?
    MATC has got a pretty good program, I know a few that have gone through the FF1/FF2 end of things and they come out pretty decent FF's as some of the instuctors are MFD guys with years on the job.

Thanks for all you help. I saw that they will be taking apps sometime in 2008 and I want to be as prepared as possible for it since Milwaukee is my dream department.
    From what I've heard form many of the friends I have in companies around the city, 2008 will be the next year for apps. I just hope this one goes better than the last process did. A guy here by the name Jasper45 is on MFD, don't know of any others though.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

I am going through the MATC Fire protection program right now. The program has changed alot, they now have the academy and alot of certifications in the associate degree. The instructors are really cool, and they are mainly Milwaukee FF's theyhave alot of stories and are good instructors.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you don't have any certs, then the new fire program is great for you. It's now Fire Protection Technician instead of Fire Science. It got moved up to a 70 credit degree, but you come out with more than just a degree. You come out with certifications in Firefighter 1, Driver/Operator-Pumper, EMT-B, Fire Inspector, Fire Investigator, and HazMat-Technician(Operations and Awareness included). It's a great program. Most of the teachers are active or retired Milwaukee firefighters.

One of the Milwaukee instructors did confirm that they should be hiring in Spring of 2008. He mentioned there should be about 90 openings. About 20 will graduate the academy right now, so there will be about 70 when they next test.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    If you don't have any certs, then the new fire program is great for you. It's now Fire Protection Technician instead of Fire Science. It got moved up to a 70 credit degree, but you come out with more than just a degree. You come out with certifications in Firefighter 1, Driver/Operator-Pumper, EMT-B, Fire Inspector, Fire Investigator, and HazMat-Technician(Operations and Awareness included). It's a great program. Most of the teachers are active or retired Milwaukee firefighters.

One of the Milwaukee instructors did confirm that they should be hiring in Spring of 2008. He mentioned there should be about 90 openings. About 20 will graduate the academy right now, so there will be about 70 when they next test.
    Yeah the Fire Protection Tech program is really good, I wished I would have known about that before I got into my training. Which is alright, I have just about everything else besides my Haz Tech, MPO, Investigator and Inspector. Some of which will get sone in the spring perhaps when my schedule will allow it. I didn't know there were going to be that many openings, I had heard that the current class was 43, so apparently many have dropped or failed out already..I have not talked to a guy I know that assists at the BIT in quite a long time, in fact I haven't even seen him on the streets for awhile, so I was kinda unsure on how things were going. MMedrow, did you ever get on with Thiensville? I did put a word in for you with one fo the Captains over there. I was thinking about joining to fill in my free time at home, which isn't much between a POC Job, and my full time one.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Hey pureadrenaline, i did not get onto Thiensville i know both the people that did. One is the chief of Mequons son, and the other one i use to go to school with. They had about 15 people apply and interview, and they only took 2 so. I think the main reason i didnt get the job was because i have not had any experience in the fire service. I am for sure applying with milwaukee when they open it up. The MATC program like i stated before is GREAT, you also get NIMS certs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    Hey pureadrenaline, i did not get onto Thiensville i know both the people that did. One is the chief of Mequons son, and the other one i use to go to school with. They had about 15 people apply and interview, and they only took 2 so. I think the main reason i didnt get the job was because i have not had any experience in the fire service. I am for sure applying with milwaukee when they open it up. The MATC program like i stated before is GREAT, you also get NIMS certs as well.
    Check your Pm's.

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys for all the information, it has been really helpful. A little bit about myself. I am a senior at Iowa State University in Ames and will be graduating in May. I want to work as a firefighter, but in the mean time, I want to work as a fire protection engineer and design protection systems. Do you think that the Milwaukee program would help get me some experience with protection systems so that I can put it on the resume? Also, can you guys go into a little bit more information about the certs you get, the FFI training, and the courses in general. I am really considering moving to Milwaukee after graduation since I eventually want to live in Wisconsin and work as a firefighter. What about communities around Milwaukee that have volunteer opportunities. I would like to get on and help as a volunteer but would like to know which are some of the better communities. Also, do you know of any companies in the Milwaukee of Madison area that do work as fire protection engineering? If you guys want you can email me back at aengelke@iastate.edu. Thanks again for all your help.

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the information, it has been really helpful. A little bit about myself. I am a senior at Iowa State University in Ames and will be graduating in May. I want to work as a firefighter, but in the mean time, I want to work as a fire protection engineer and design protection systems. Do you think that the Milwaukee program would help get me some experience with protection systems so that I can put it on the resume? Also, can you guys go into a little bit more information about the certs you get, the FFI training, and the courses in general. I am really considering moving to Milwaukee after graduation since I eventually want to live in Wisconsin and work as a firefighter. What about communities around Milwaukee that have volunteer opportunities. I would like to get on and help as a volunteer but would like to know which are some of the better communities. Also, do you know of any companies in the Milwaukee of Madison area that do work as fire protection engineering? If you guys want you can email me back at aengelke@iastate.edu. Thanks again for all your help.

The fire protection program be it at Milwaukee Area Tech (MATC), Madison Area Tech (MATC), Fox Valley Tech (FVTC) etc, all the programs are more geared to someone wanting a career as a firefighter, not so much the fire protection systems stuff. There are companies out there like J.F. Ahern and such that do install fire systems and sprinklers and so forth. The company will determine quals, but the fire protection degree couldn't hurt, but as far as design stuff would go, I would imagine an Engineering Degree would go further than a Fire Protection.

You could find work in the field, there are numerous companies that service fire systems and fire extinguishers and for the most part is OJT. It all depends on what you want to do. You'll have a degree, that is huge, so perhaps you could find a better paying job while going for certifications.

As far as certifications go, you DON'T have to be in the Fire Protection program, you can take FF1, FF2, Driver/operator and so forth on your own. Also a volunteer dept may help pay for training or foot the bill. There are a few volunteer and combination departments around the Milwaukee area, there would be too many things to list pros and cons, so it would be better to research that stuff on your own. As for living, there are many cities and villages and such around the Milwaukee area, but it depends on where you live or also how much you want to pay to live. There are several upscale suburbs that would be pretty difficult to live in if you don't have a high paying job. There are others that are affordable, but may include a bit of a drive. Best bet would be to visit the area and check things out on your own.

As for MFD, the Bachelor's degree will help with points, and also if you are a Milwaukee resident also helps. As far as testing goes, after passing the written test there are several practice sessions for both the physical agility test and the BPAD (video) interview stuff. I would definately recommend doing a few of the sessions at least, you will want to stand out and MFD will rank ties alphabetically. So if you score 100 and others do as well, you get ranked alphebetically, otherwise hope your last name starts with "A".

Check with the Fire & Police commission web-site for this info, they are the only entity that will make any decision about applications, hiring and testing, not the department. They are the only place to get official information from, they do not consult the department about any of this.

The membership committee report, at the last union meeting on September 11 listed 30 vacancies, with 24 in the school. That means that if all 24 who remain graduate, there will be 30 open positions barring any other retirements, duty disability, firings, or other members who resign. That is as official a number as there is.

Keep in mind, the mayor has already told us that he is coming after more positions in the next budget process, and he will get some, if not all of what he is looking to cut. We are already facing a significant budget crisis for the remainder of the year, so the cuts may happen even before the next process is negotiated.

Again, I'm not trying to pee in anyone's corn flakes. I just remember back when I was testing. I always wanted as much clear and factual information as was possible.
    There will be classes off of a new list next year. How many and a time frame for them is what is unknown. What we do know is that the old list is now defunct.

MFD will rank ties alphabetically.
    The way that ties are worked, is if there is a group of any amount that is in a tie, and the first person listed with the tie is hired, all members who are in that tie must be hired. It doesn't matter if there are two people, or fifty who are tied. If one is hired then all are hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    The way that ties are worked, is if there is a group of any amount that is in a tie, and the first person listed with the tie is hired, all members who are in that tie must be hired. It doesn't matter if there are two people, or fifty who are tied. If one is hired then all are hired.

That's interesting. So what happens if the last person hired to fill a class is tied with 20 others and all get hired? Granted not everyone may not make the cut, but what happens to the additional hires? Do they just put them as an extra person in an enginehouse and hire less the next time around? What about the budget stuff, if only 30 spots are budgeted for and 20 extra are hired are they layed off right away or are cuts made elsewhere?

Not criticizing, just an intersting note, never heard of hirings like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    So what happens if the last person hired to fill a class is tied with 20 others and all get hired?

They just have to hire them, not specifically in the same class, they just have to give them a job. If for example, they hire the first person in a tie, and there are not enough spots in that class, those other people in that tie will be hired in the next class. Now say that the list expires before they are put on, they are simply the first to be hired in the next recruit class, no matter what.

Fair or good-I don't know, it's just how it is. At least that's the case until they are able to change the policy. Just remember that the department has absolutely nothing to do with the entire process. The fire & police commission has taken to screwing up our hiring as an art form.
    Remember though, it's all in the name of diversity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Fair or good-I don't know, it's just how it is. At least that's the case until they are able to change the policy. Just remember that the department has absolutely nothing to do with the entire process. The fire & police commission has taken to screwing up our hiring as an art form.
    Remember though, it's all in the name of diversity.
    Sounds just about like it is anywhere nowadays.

Thanks for the explaination about the tie stuff, never heard of that before.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as testing goes, are there only three step, the written, physical and oral video taped interview, and then they establish a list? Also, are there any extra points you can get from education, military, residency, and if residency, how long to you have to live there, what are the terms, and when did you have to have established residency by? For education, does it have to be fire related or just AA or BA degrees?

In regards to the tests, I think you mentioned something about classes that you can take to help you, when, where and how do you get signed up for them. Any other advice for preparing and taking the tests? How long ago did you take the test and how long have you been on MFD? Do you work on a truck or engine? Thanks for all the advice and information about the department and testing.

Mack

Forum Member

As far as testing goes, are there only three step, the written, physical and oral video taped interview, and then they establish a list? Also, are there any extra points you can get from education, military, residency, and if residency, how long to you have to live there, what are the terms, and when did you have to have established residency by? For education, does it have to be fire related or just AA or BA degrees?

In regards to the tests, I think you mentioned something about classes that you can take to help you, when, where and how do you get signed up for them. Any other advice for preparing and taking the tests? How long ago did you take the test and how long have you been on MFD? Do you work on a truck or engine? Thanks for all the advice and information about the department and testing.

Mack

First off, I'm not on MFD, I tested for them and was offered a position, but I got on with my hometown dept before the offer. Jasper is MFD though. Anything I post is from my own experiences through the testing process.

There are the only 3 steps, a pass/fail written, a pass/fail physical agility and the video tape B-Pad interview test. That is the only thing that gets looked at and is graded by an independant panel. For the most part, MFD has absolutely nothing to do with the hiring process. There are extra points for military service (10 points if I recall), points for bachelors and associates degree and residency points. I don't know how long you have to be a resident to claim that, but I thought it may be a year. (don't quote me with that).

In order to apply, you had to apply in person and you filled out an information card. On there it explains the points system and I believed there was a max points as well. I had vet points so I maxed out with points so my degree points were not accepted. After applying you wait and they do what seems like a crap shoot invite for the written test. Meaning not everyone who applies will be able to take the written. After passing the written there is information given about the physical and there are practice sessions offered and all the information will be given then. After passing the physical there is information about the B-Pad and practice sessions for that as well . All practice sessions are after the test, I don't believe you can just sign up for classes to practice, you have to go through the process.

Looks like Milwaukee is still hiring because I know a guy who filled out their job interest form online, and he just got letter in the mail saying that there will be a hiring process this summer. I guess it's going to be smaller than they originally anticipated, but at least it's still happening. Did anyone else get this letter?
    Last edited by SCSmith; 06-22-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

i put my name on the mailing list back in March, and i haven't received a letter.

Default Enough is enough.

From the Local-215 web-site.

People, we need your help. Contact your alderman and other elected officials-please, if you live in the city.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

On May 13th 2008 Chief Douglas Holton submitted a 2009 Fire Department Budget that reflected 4.5% reduction for budget year 2009 as requested by the Mayor. That represents approximately a $4.5 million gutting of the Fire Service.

In order to achieve this reduction the Chief proposes cutting 39 frontline Firefighting positions thus reducing the staffing on all apparatus to 4. In a time when we all, at least the leadership and members of this Union, feel that this Department has already been cut to the bone. There continues to be a disconnect between the Administration and the frontline operational firefighting forces that do the work day in and day out.

We as a Department need leadership who is prepared to market the mission of the Fire Service and deter the Mayor and City Hall from using the bogus excuse that other Cities do it and response times do not suffer. This is a weak argument that does not consider firefighter safety and the quality of service the citizens of this community are entitled to.

Firefighter safety is comprehensive. It involves having a sufficient number of well trained emergency personnel on scene to mitigate dangerous situations. The proper level of staffing is imperative to all of these areas.

Once again we are faced with a fight to stave off devastating cuts. This Union must be united in this effort. There will be some tough decisions to be made as we go forward. Every man and woman in this Union must take a stand and in our collective voices say enough is enough.

Firefighters protest proposed staff cuts

Milwaukee firefighters packed City Hall this morning to protest staff cuts Fire Chief Doug Holton has proposed for the 2009 city budget.

Officials with Milwaukee Professional Firefighters Association Local 215, aldermen and firefighters from the St. Paul, Minn., Fire Department spoke to a crowd of about 200 firefighters, retired and active, and their families.

"It's not just about firefighter safety, it's about your family's safety," Local 215 President Bobbie Webber said of the proposed cuts.

Chris Parsons, secretary of the St. Paul firefighters union, said Holton made similar cuts while chief of that department, creating what he called "a crisis" and leading to the union giving him a vote of no confidence.

Holton has proposed eliminating 39 positions by reducing the number of firefighters on ladder trucks from five to four. Those jobs would be lost to attrition, Eileen Force, a spokeswoman for Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, said last week.

Holton would not comment today, but issued a statement saying the National Fire Protection Association, which requires only four-member ladder teams, has scrutinized his department for having five.

"I am confident that through the political process we will all agree to support a strategy that combines the highest level of firefighter safety with the highest level of fire, EMS and rescue services to all residents of our city," the statement read.

Firefighter Mark Pegelow said crews are understaffed already and with another round of cuts, things would get worse.

"Trying to get things done on a day-to-day basis is impossible. We can't accomplish the jobs without enough manpower," Pegelow said as he picketed outside City Hall after the news conference.

Barrett has proposed firefighter cuts each of the last three years. Each time, the firefighters union protested, and fewer jobs were cut.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch.../2008&id=42068

Thread Information