Default calumet city questions

looking to find out about when calumet city is testing and all other info relevant
    thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It opens next week

I just saw on www.firerecruit.com, that Calumet, IL will be accepting applications next week ONLY for Firefighter/Paramedic. Opens on Sept 24 through the 28th. Good luck! Check it out at Firerecruit.com.

Forum Member

Default Information About The Dept

The Calumet City Fire Dept, located just southeast of chicago, will have applications available from Sept. 24th through Sept. 28th as stated above. Applications need to be turned in by Oct. 5th. You can pick up an application at City Hall. The address is 684 Wentworth. There are 56 full-time line personnel with 18 firefighters per shift. Minimum manning is 12 per day. They operate out of two firehouses and have 2 engines, 2 ambulances, and 1 truck. They run approx. 6500 calls per year. Minimum requirements to get hired are certified paramedic, valid Drivers License and other basic requirements. To test I think you just need a pulse. You do not have to have your FFII. They will send you to the Champaign academy. Starting pay is approx. $43,000 with it going to approx. $53,000 after one completed year. FF top out pay is around $70,000 which doesn't include longevity pay. They work 24hrs on and 48 off with a kelly day off every 7th day. That's 17 per year. You get 3 Vacation days after one year and it goes to 9 after 4 completed years. You DO NOT have to live in the town. You have 20 miles as the crow flies from any part of town. They've exhausted their last 5 lists due to nobody testing due to lack of advertising of the test. They are short two people right now and some guys will be retiring next year. I've ridden with these guys and Chicago Fire Dept. and this place reminds me of a miniature Chicago fire. They get a ton of traumas and a decent amount of fires. Anybody with questions just ask and I should be able to answer them for you.

do they still send you to the academy if you already have FF2? I don't know the area to well what are some nice places to live around there?
    thanks

Forum Member

Most likely they will send you to the Champaign fire academy even if you already have your FF2. I know that sounds weird, but think of it as a 6 weeks refresher class. In the immediate area of Calumet City there really is not too many nice places to live. West of Cal City are some towns of New Lenox, Frankfort, Mokena, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Manhattan, Peotone just to name a few. To the east in Indiana are Griffith, Highland, Schererville, St. John, Dyer, Lowell, Crown Point, Winfield. There are TONS of towns I didn't name, but don't worry you have a year to move into the radius in which is allowed. People will tell you what areas are good and which ones are bad. Good luck.

Thread Information