Thread: Pistol Grips???

Forum Member

Talking Pistol Grips???

How many of you like/dislike pistol grip nozzles? They are on almost all of our rigs in my vollie dept. Everyone at the vollie house LOVES them...... The paid house... exact opposite they hate them... Your thoughts and opinions old crusty ones
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hate them

In our volly house i tried to get them taken off and the bosses wont let us. Alot of us were trained by the old crusty jakes so i guess its all in what your trained with but i hate em , it seems like when you have a pistol grip you always wanna keep the pipe way to close to your body . Without the pgrip its easier to get the pipe out in front of you so you have better control over the pipe .... But thats my 2$
    engine 163 to command .. tell engine 165 we got it they can take up and return

engine163 to county fire SEND ME EVERYTHING

makes good girls go bad

I have tried using the pistol grip, but NOT holding the grip, since that is all we have. It was a LOT easier to control, and to sweep from side to side. The grips are good from when you are advancing a charged line, but other then that, f*cking cut them off!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Volunteer/Combination department.
    No pistol grips.
    Have used them though, and do not like them.
    Less control of the line; the nozzle needs to be out in front approximately an arm's length, for easier movement of the nozzle and less fatigue of the arms.

Eastern shore..good to read. I'm originally from your neck of the woods.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

IACOJ BOD

We use both types down here.

And we mix fog with solid tip.

Now there, I just upset everyone, get over it.

Horses for courses people. Each one or combination thereof has its place at a fire, its advantages and its drawbacks.

LEARN them, know where to apply them and you are onto a winner.

Stick with just one and you may be losing buildings you dont need to.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hate them. Points mentioned prior are all valid regarding their inefficiency. Holding the line behind the coupling at the nozzle will undoubtdly provide you better control and range of motion. You should also be pinching the line tightly into the armpit and pushing foward into it. They also add a few bucks onto the price and are notorious for getting caught up and wedged in crosslay beds.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

We just did nozzle evaluations ( I will never again mention removing the pistol grips. The response was not good.)

Anyways, the crew like the Akron zero torque, with the nozzle ahead and in front of the pistol grip. Kind of the best of both worlds, I guess.

So I ordered the nozzles. They do handle better. All who used them liked them better than any other traditional nozzle we looked at. One part of me thinks they look to damn weird. But thats what they liked, so thats what I got them.

Mental note: never again mention removing the pistol grips to my crew. ( It beared repeating )

Permanently Removed

Love them. Remember, you are working with an appliance that handles a large volume of water. You need all the control you can get.

Forum Member

Angry

from an operational standpoint I don't really mind them.... I know where the line is supposed to be just like all of you do. The couple things i do like about them is that when advancing the line, it is def. easier to do it with the grip, and I guess the other thing would be on exterior ops. like cooling down surrounding structures, somtimes its nice to be able to just put the grip on your thigh.....

My main issue with them is that they promote bad habits just like you all have said.... it really ticks me off when i tell one of my guys to keep the nozzle out in front of them... and 30 seconds later it's in their armpit and they are turning their whole bodies to move the stream!! burns me up!

FF/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LtJohns355 View Post
    My main issue with them is that they promote bad habits just like you all have said.... it really ticks me off when i tell one of my guys to keep the nozzle out in front of them... and 30 seconds later it's in their armpit and they are turning their whole bodies to move the stream!! burns me up!
    Burns them up too! Too much effort to turn the whole body into the direction of the fire in a pinch.

Pistol grips in the Navy, so was used to them, but that was an entirely different type of firefighting then.

First department tried them out for awhile on the combination nozzles they had. The captain didn't like them, so he had them removed. I developed the feel and use for keeping the line out in front even with the pistol-grip.

Current department (which I love!) - no grips, but we use MST's anyways. Since day one of training though nozzle is definitely arm's length out. It's so much easier IMO. Although, yes we do have a pistol-grip on the car/nuisance fire line.

MembersZone Subscriber

I started with an industrial brigade, and holding the pistol grip was the norm.....since I've started working with a volunteer department, I've been shown a better, and easier way to work the nozzle.....as mentioned with the nozzle out about an arm length in front.

The grip is great for pulling lines around the exterior though.........other than that, it is just a big chunk of plastic.

MembersZone Subscriber

-Waste of money
    -Promotes bad habits and lazy nozzle work.
    -Unneccesary to control the handline.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

No need for them. We replaced them 5 or 6 years ago and have not missed them at all. Never saw an advantage to them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I dislike them. I was always taught to keep on hand on the shut-off valve and the other on the stream selector (combination nozzles) and hold the nozzle out in front of you as far as possible to give better control. Pistol grips help none of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pistol Grips

Hate 'em...everybody holds their line like an M16.

Truckie

I too am in the agreement that they are fairly useless. The argument that they promote bad habits its absolutely spot on. I see it every year when teaching ff1 class, everybody holds on to that thing with a death grip right tight against the body. Completely eliminating the ability to move and operate the line. Not to mention at that stage of the game, confidence in your ability to control an 1 3/4" line by yourself is needed. The handle just promotes a false sense of security.
    Maybe they are handy with short companies, a good handle to pull the line of no one is there to assist?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

EuroFirefighter

Pistol grips or not? It is simply a matter of personal choice. Whatever you get used to or whatever your FD provides. My personal view is that pistol grips do offer me more control and I feel more comfortable when advancing (or retreating) the line. I also think they are safer to use in this way.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Well..............

We don't use them, but for a different reason. - They make life difficult for those who load the preconnect back on the Apparatus. There is no good way to pack the nozzle in the "Slot" style beds that we use.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I dislike them for the same reasons mentioned above. At our house we don't use any pistol grip nozzles because you are taught to keep the nozzle out in front of you and the pistol grip doesn't let you do this and it promotes bad habits. During a fire academy I attended we used both the pistol grip and non pistol grip nozzles and after weeks of using both for fire ground operations the general consensus of the academy was that the non pistol grip nozzles performed better for the majority of suppression duties

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I happen to like them when moving lines around, and when doing clean up on a brush/grass fire. However, I've learned to work with them and without them, but then, as has been noted, its a personal preference.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I love the pistol grips for one reason, If conditions permit to stand, I like having the line over my shoulder and control it that way, I feel I have more control, I guess I come from bad habbit where we keep the nozzle in the arm-pit area and I HATE THATSTYLE!

Forum Member

Talking

I think that most people have pretty much the same opinion as i do.... I wouldn't say that I hate them.... because I don't, I know how to use the hose the right way.. grip or no grip. they aren't really a big deal with the vollie fd. as far as packing the hose, if you pack minute man's... they actually help we pack our 1 1/2" 2 rows wide so the second row can wrap around the grip. I do prefer them when advancing the line.... other than that it doesn't really matter to me.

FF/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I just finally (after a year and a half) figured out that is was easier to handle the line without holding the pistol grip. That being said it is nice for dumpster fires and the like, you can put the line over your shoulder and hold the grip.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well.................

Quote Originally Posted by LtJohns355 View Post
    I think that most people have pretty much the same opinion as i do.... I wouldn't say that I hate them.... because I don't, I know how to use the hose the right way.. grip or no grip. they aren't really a big deal with the vollie fd. as far as packing the hose, if you pack minute man's... they actually help we pack our 1 1/2" 2 rows wide so the second row can wrap around the grip. I do prefer them when advancing the line.... other than that it doesn't really matter to me.

Ray, I think it all boils down to whether Donnie Howard likes them or not.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Talking

Oh no not donnie!!!! even the boys in PG know him!!!! He was the chief when I got into the dept. I'm sure you have seen his badges blinding everyone on the eastern seaboard.... around here they call him "the jingler" enough brass on his coat to sink half of the navy's fleet!!!!

FF/NREMT-B

Thread Information