the 4-1-4

Historically, when a small market team does well, they do wel for one year. After that, with their players market value up, they either unload their players (Florida Marlins) or refuse to invest the money in their team to retain their players (like Minnesota wil do this year).

This point helps to make my case for a salary cap. A properly worded and enforced salary cap that is equal across the board, such as the NFLís would prevent this. Teams should not be able to sell off their players following a championship, or even a championship run.
    I would also be in favor of a salary minimum for each team, properly enforced and worded.

ALL large market teams would be in first place and all small market teams would be in last? Look at the Chisox, two years after winning the WS, they suck as bad as a team can suck.
    No, not necessarily. If you look over the long haul, the most successful teams have been primarily larger markets. Granted, years of having Bud Selig run the Brewers may have soured me some, but if there is no money to spend, it canít be spent.

The NY Islanders (Potvin sucks). A terribe team in a large market-low crowds. The NY Knicks. A terrible team-low crowds.
    The NHL and the NBA both have terrible track records, and teams move almost yearly. The Arena Football League almost has more security and consistency than both.

Then look at your own Brewers. Small market team in a pennant race.
    This is the first season in 25 years that they have been in the race, although that may have ended now that they are 2.5 games back. It is still a race at this point, though. They are also on pace to have their first winning season since 1992.
    Up until this point in time, any quality players have always been at risk for being signed to somewhere else.
    The other big notable change with them though, is that they are now owned by a Ďdeep-pocketsí owner, who by all appearances so far will be willing to spend some money.
    Jeff Suppan was actually a so-called marquee free-agent they actually signed, granted he is no A-Rod, but you have to start somewhere.
    When the Yankees come to Milwaukee, how easy is it to get a seat?
    The last example I can cite first hand is from 2005. I can tell you with all honesty that the series was well attended, but nothing close to sold out. I managed to get to all 3 games here, and walked up to the box office an hour before the first pitch. That is one of the things I miss about when the Brewers were in the A.L,
    This year is the exception, success does bring people out to the park.

Baseball HAS revenue sharing. In 2006, the Yankees paid about $77 million in revenue sharing and uxury tax.
    That was a mistake on my part. I was talking about several things the NFL has done to increase popularity with the league, and included the revenue sharing.

I've had this argument with others on here whose starting point for the argument is "the Yankees suck"!
    You wonít get that from me, because the Yankees donít suck. They are baseballís most successful franchise. I will admit that Iím a bit jealous, and greatly admire their success and tradition, how can anyone not?
    Iíve just been trying to think of how baseball cold be made better. There isnít a lot that is wrong with baseball, but it could still be better.

All other things aside, I think the world series winner comes out of the Yankees-Red Sox race. I think both clubs are a full head taller than anything the National League has to offer this year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Your argument is so fundamentally flawed on every level, I don't even know where to start.

Small market teams CAN and DO compete all the time. The size of the market has nothing to do with it. Historically, when a small market team does well, they do wel for one year. After that, with their players market value up, they either unload their players (Florida Marlins) or refuse to invest the money in their team to retain their players (like Minnesota wil do this year).

If your argument had merit, then ALL large market teams would be in first place and all small market teams would be in last? Look at the Chisox, two years after winning the WS, they suck as bad as a team can suck. Then look at your own Brewers. Small market team in a pennant race.

If a movie was terrible, woud you go to see it? Usually not. So why would I pay good money to go to watch a MLB team that puts a terribel team on the field? I'm not taking strictly won/loss record alone. I'm taking about a team that can afford to put a better team on the field but do not, solely because of not wanting to spend money.

There were years that the Yankees were terrible. In those years (early 70's, late 80's , early 90's), they did not put 4 million people in the seats. Good product-good crowd.

Example out of baseball? The NY Islanders (Potvin sucks). A terribe team in a large market-low crowds. The NY Knicks. A terrible team-low crowds.

The Yankees DO make all of basebal more succesful. When the Yankees come to Milwaukee, how easy is it to get a seat? They sell out stadiums everywhere they go. Even in places that have to blow the dust out of the hot dog machines in the upper deck due to lack of use. Good product-good crowds.

The most amazingly ignorant part of your posts are your assertion that baseball needs revenue sharing. Baseball HAS revenue sharing. In 2006, the Yankees paid about $77 million in revenue sharing and uxury tax. That is money handed out directly to the other teams. The Rd sox paid like $51 million.

I've had this argument with others on here whose starting point for the argument is "the Yankees suck"! The problem comes when they have to base their arguments on fact. They can't do it.
    Nice!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Potvin sucks
    If nothing else....George is consistent.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you Yankees for the Red Sox: AL East Division Champions.....first time in 12 years.

What a great play by the Orioles...bases loaded, 2 outs, bunt to win the game......I don't think any body saw that coming.
    Last edited by onebugle; 09-29-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Thread Information