MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Fox and CNN both bite, MSNBC too....

During my twelve hour work shift we are limited to a very small number of permissible TV channels during day shift when the suits are around.

Fox News today:
    OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ

MSNBC today:
    OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ OJ

I went to CNN Headline News for a break. They mixed it up a little.
    * OJ
    * Guy gets stuck in chimney, video footage of him flipping off the camera, his girlfriend hitting him with stuff.
    * Bats infest college dorm, students run or attack with brooms.
    * OJ
    * Britney ordered to parenting classes and drug testing
    * Mom in trouble for boarding school bus and encouraging her kid to fight.
    * OJ
    * Bear falls out of tree.
    * Protester cries foul over being tasered at Kerry event.
    * Seattle area unveils the South Lake Union Trolley (SLUT), shirt vendors go nuts offering shirts allowing you to proclaim you "rode the SLUT".

For the love of all that is good and right, I am not convinced that these are the most important things going on in our world today!!!

This consumer-driven "news" crap is getting VERY tiresome. Can someone tell me where to get some real NEWS??

Watching Spike TV all day would have been less offensive. When I finally switched it to the Weather Channel, everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

End rant.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

They are just pandering to the lowest common denominator. Lots of people (without lives, I might add) flock to stories involving the exploits of celebrities.

When I worked on a shift, one of my guys would turn on the "news" every night at 7PM. It was Access Hollywood.

The recent coverage over Paris Hilton this summer really demonstrated the priorities of TV and cable news networks. If I watch the local TV news, I usually shut it off after 5 minutes; that's usually when the first celebrity story comes on.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

The dumbing down of America contiunes. People worry more about Britney, Lindsay Lohan, Anna Nicole, and OJ more than the war, terrorism in our own backyards, and the Presidential election.

The same people that b!tch when emergency service workers ask for a decent pay raise, are the same people who think overpriced ballplayers are worth the millions paid, and spend tons of money at a game to pay these buffoons. And tell the local state governments to subsidize billion dollar stadiums that the owners reap untold amounts of money on bull***** leases.

God forbid we get a decent raise. But hey, OJ made bail...

Forum Member

in France,same problem,people prefer stories about famous people.but real life is very different and sometimes,it would be great that channels stop their shows about famous people.that is boring.just my opinion.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to say the story about the guy getting tasered at the rally was funny - at least for a Monty Python fan. (hint: Help! Help! I'm being repressed. . . )

I've taken to getting news off the net so I can filter through the trash more quickly.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk View Post
    I have to say the story about the guy getting tasered at the rally was funny - at least for a Monty Python fan. (hint: Help! Help! I'm being repressed. . . )

I've taken to getting news off the net so I can filter through the trash more quickly.
    I only caught a very small amount of this story this morning. Every other morning they made mention of it, but I never got to see anything. Finally did this morning, and a similar image came to mind.

"Oh be quiet! I'm telling you to be QUITE! Bloody peasant."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

OJ is in the news?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anne Nichole is dead?

Welcome to 24-hour Cable Newsetainment channels.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Funniest line of the week (so far...) -

"Don't Tase me, bro!!!!" zzzzZZZZTTTTT!
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    Funniest line of the week (so far...) -

"Don't Tase me, bro!!!!" zzzzZZZZTTTTT!
    And then there was the girl who got tased as well. Are these people that stupid? Do what the Police Officer tells you and nothing bad will happen. Makes me laugh how it is the cops fault because the "victim" was being a jackass.

Forum Member

Uh, What about the.... Oh, nevermind. Must not have been newsworthy. No celebrities involved...

Forum Member

Actually, NOTHING really has happened that is truely news worthy in the last 48 hours, so back to the entertaining "news". Knock the media all you want, but they usually step up to the bat when the reality hits the fan. Just Look at the amazing commercial free coverage of 9/11, or the imbeded reports during the invasion of Iraq. They do the real stuff when the real stuff happens, the rest of the time we knock them for not prying enough or prying too much in to the lives of public personalities.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

24/7 news stations,even the ones I watch because I agree with the editorial content, are the reason why God invented the VCR and its descendent, the DVD player/recorder.
    God knows there is only so much up to the minute news I can take of them endlessly repreating the same stuff for the next couple hours or announcing breaking news that they are awaiting a news conference that's not starting for two hours.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-21-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Member

Default disappointing...

I've got to agree with the above comments. It really is a sad state of affairs when the local news thinks Paris Hilton or these other dumb bunnies are more news-worthy than providing updates on community programs, volunteer activities or giving coverage to those groups that can't afford to pay ads but could really use the publicity to keep doing their good deeds. These issues seem to get, at best, a nanosecond of air time and then..."let's see what celebrity is dressed like a street walker now".

OK...I'm done venting....for now.......

Forum Member

"He turned me into a newt!"

Banned

Here is the issue. Things are gong well in Iraq and we are making progress. The liberal press doesn't want to talk about that, so we end up with OJ in Paris.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Here is the issue. Things are gong well in Iraq and we are making progress. The liberal press doesn't want to talk about that, so we end up with OJ in Paris.
    Soooo. The GAO report stating that 15 of the 18 benchmarks laid down as signs of progress in Iraq have not been met are the fault of the liberal press?

In baseball 1 out of 6 tries might keep you in the bigs for a year. Any place else it is viewed as failure.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Things that didn't make the news today:

http://www.mnfwest.usmc.mil/
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Soooo. The GAO report stating that 15 of the 18 benchmarks laid down as signs of progress in Iraq have not been met are the fault of the liberal press?

In baseball 1 out of 6 tries might keep you in the bigs for a year. Any place else it is viewed as failure.
    Welcome back my friend. It took a while. You left out the lies from General (Betray us) Petraeus. But you are right, the press is good at giving us the negatives about Iraq.

MembersZone Subscriber

What ever happened to the miners? Something else happened and they forgot all about them.
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    What ever happened to the miners? Something else happened and they forgot all about them.
    I thought I caught a news clip (all of 90 seconds long) about an on-site memorial for them.......

Thread Information