Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Personal SCBA Masks??

I'm trying to find some info on the pros and cons regarding personal SCBA masks. Any information or good web pages where I could get some facts to help make my case (if that's what they show) for getting masks assigned to individuals as opposed to sharing with 2 other shifts. Any info would be a great help. Thanks.

Forum Member

Check www.osha.gov. I think there is a standard about this.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Go to the guy arguing against personal masks. Throw up in a mask. Hand it to him and tell him to wear it now.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We've been using personal masks for just over a year now. As with all ISSUED equipment, it generally stays in much better condition. Firefighters are much less apt to bang the mask around and scuff it up knowing that they're the ones who will have to wear it. At first it was a PITA to carry it around (when you didn't forget it) now it's second nature. As far a cons go, I can't really think of any, other than maybe cost.

-Nick

Your masks should be fit tested to each individual. This would be really hard with shared masks.

Overall it is a safety issue (can't get any more PRO than that).
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

The idea of sharing a mask is just disgusting. I don't want to put on a mask that's full of sweat and spit and all kinds of other gross bodily junk unless their my own. Hell, I don't even let kids wear my helmet for that reason..i sweat like a hog summer, sping, winter..it doesn't matter. I don't want some kid wearing my lid that's been coated in my goo and vice versa. I don't share my stethoscope at work either. Sorry to sound like a germ-o-phobe, but it's just nasty. Look on Ebay, you can ususally find a clean lighty used mask on there for cheap. I just bought a new AV2000 for 75 bucks. (i don't like the av3000)
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

PRO's - It's your mask, you're responsible for it, it doesn't get as hammered because you have to look through all the scratches, it fit's your face.

CON's - Sharing a mask is just plain discusting.

Default What about the regulator

Who cleans you second stage reg and how often?

Cool

I am looking for a mask currently for exactly this reason. Well, that and the dept that loaned me my PPE and SCBA for fire academy didn't have a mask to borrow for 6 months. My question is what should I be looking for to fit the Scott 4.5 30-minute with pressure demand regulator?

Thumbs up

Nevermind, I now know what RIC/UAC means. But individual masks seem to be somewhat elusive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pros: as above

Cons: It can be costly if your department is cash-strapped. At my career job, all of the career personnel are issued a facepiece w/ voice amp, as we generally make more calls per capita than any of the call personnel. Call personnel who can't fit the standard size facepieces on the trucks are issued a personal mask. As of now it's two, both wear a small. We simply can't afford to issue a mask to everyone.

Also, just because it is issued doesn't necessarily mean it will be better taken care of. We have some people who take atrocious care of their PPE. It's a training and discipline issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    Look on Ebay, you can ususally find a clean lighty used mask on there for cheap. I just bought a new AV2000 for 75 bucks. (i don't like the av3000)
    Same here, i picked up a brand new AV2000 with all the literature AND the gas mask adaptor for $99.00 with free shipping. I did'nt even have to bid, it was "but it now". Hell, i even picked up a brand new in the box EBSS kit for $59.99 with free shipping.

Forum Member

We have found that the people with issued masks don't clean them as often. The common use masks that are kept on the engine's are cleaned after each use and people are very good about keeping them clean.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeathValleyCap View Post
    We have found that the people with issued masks don't clean them as often. The common use masks that are kept on the engine's are cleaned after each use and people are very good about keeping them clean.
    Same here, it's a money issue so what's on the truck is what you get. The masks are cleaned after every use and checked when the SCBA's are checked again. I can honestly say I have never grabbed a spooged one... or obviously spooged anyway.

Be safe, R2

PS. Spooge - any bodily fluid that ends up on you and can include dog slobber, ghost slime or your 6 month old nephews breakfast.

Forum Member

Spooge - any bodily fluid that ends up on you and can include dog slobber, ghost slime or your 6 month old nephews breakfast.

thanks for the definition of spooge, just joking. Includes 4 year old son's snot.

MembersZone Subscriber

DVC... I was teaching a HAZWOPR class to some industrial guys and they where under the impression "spooge" was one specific type of body fluid (if you know what I mean) and this is a tough crowd around here so I wanted to make sure the definition I was using was clear LOL.

I first heard the term when I was working a car wreck and a doctor was doing flight time with a Life flight crew a long time ago. The patient had some pretty serious face and chest trauma and when he coughed, sneezed, projectile vomited; well... he spooge blew all over this doctors golf shirt and dress khakis.

"What the F**K, this guy just spooged me, get me a F****N towel!!!" he said as he sat there with this stuff all over his face and chest.

I almost spooged myself I laughed so hard

Be safe, R2

MembersZone Subscriber candfsupply's Avatar

Default What about the snot locker?

You've got to remember that the mask isn't the whole story - there's a good reason the secondary is called the "snot locker". You can sterilize your facepiece, but if the last guy to use the pack didn't clean out the secondary, you're inheriting whatever he left there.

Thread Information