Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NICET Testing

Default NICET Testing

Hello, new to the forum, but not new to the forum scene... I ran a search for NICET Certification and found one thread. The thread really didn't contain the greatest insight, so I thought i'd ask my questions.

First a little about me, I design lighting systems, as well as fire and secuirty systems for off-site data storage facilities that are very high-profile and highly confidential. As of now, we design everything (as far as lighting, FA, LSE systems) and then submit our plans to engineers for review, approval and ultimately their Engineer Seal.

The company I work for would like to cut some costs and try to keep as much work in-house as possible.

Now i'm no where near at a level where I can go back to college and get a PE in Electrical Engineering, so i decided I'd research NICET a little. Perhaps if I advance to a level 4 within the next 5 or 6 years it may benefit the company i work for greatly, as well as secure my position here

My questions so far have been answered on different forums, but I do have a few more i'd like to address:
    • What Books/Manuals are required for NICET I Certification? (I've referred to the site over and over, but it's so confusing, i don't know where to begin, so i'm hoping there is at least one person who has taken the level I exam and know's what books are required).
    • I've been referred to NTC, for NICET training and I've heard nothing but good things about them, I'm curious if anyone else here has taken these online courses?
    • NFPA Memeberships, are they worth it, are there any memberships i should consider for the Fire Alarm and Prevention field?
    • NFPA also offers certification courses as well, should I persue these courses as well to further my knowledge of FA designs?

For now I know that these questions are kind of broad and I'm sure with more digging through google i might be able to dig up some more info, but i figured i'd ask first.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to review my post and have any insight or answers :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Hello, I'm new to this forum also. I've noticed that it is more focused on firefighting and not detection/suppression as much.

I'm NICET level II certified. It's not easy to get. One of the hardest parts is understanding their application process and testing schedules. It's alot like applying to college or getting a tuition grant. However, in the state that I reside, one must have level II to be eligible for Commercial Fire Alarm licensing.

You can get the complete application package here:
    http://www.nicet.org/candidates/wepackage.pdf

And check out www.nicet.org for lots more information.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbutler1963 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum also. I've noticed that it is more focused on firefighting and not detection/suppression as much.

I'm NICET level II certified. It's not easy to get. One of the hardest parts is understanding their application process and testing schedules. It's alot like applying to college or getting a tuition grant. However, in the state that I reside, one must have level II to be eligible for Commercial Fire Alarm licensing.

You can get the complete application package here:
    http://www.nicet.org/candidates/wepackage.pdf

And check out www.nicet.org for lots more information.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for your response, I wish that this site was more oriented with detection and prevention, however it is what it is.

I've been to the NICET site numerous times and there is just so much info to take in i get lost in the application packs (they just have a general application for all 4 levels of testing, not broken down into individual groups/levels)

I work with a few NICET I certified guys and they have all taken the NTC courses online and said that they really helped out big time and that they prepare you for what is on the test.

The only downside is that these guys work for the company I am with remotely, so i only get to speak with them on a once and a while occasion, certainly not long enough for us to discuss what is involved in the testing and what i can do to prepare myself.... I'm not looking for the answers, I'm new to the Fire Alarm scene and want to get my foot in the door and really get involved.

I appreicate the outlet this forum has to offer, but waiting for a moderator to approve my posts has just encouraged me to find the answers for myself rather than wait a week to see if my post went through.... I believe that may be the goal the moderators/admins are looking to achieve and I commend them.

If anyone reading this would like more information on being NICET Certified, or any other Fire Alarm Certification I have found these following sites to be very helpful:

www.NFPA.org
    www.AFAA.org
    www.nationaltrainingcenter.net
    www.NICET.org
    Training for NICET I Exams
    Low Voltage Lighting and Fire Alarm Systems Designer

Forum Member

Talking Nicet Testing

There is a nicet I and II study Guide also a III and IV study guide. 2 seperate books. They are available from the NFPA catalog. The actual titles are "fire alarm handbook level 1 and 2 / fire alarm handbook level 3 and 4. The best advice I can give is read the NFPA 72 a few times as well as parts of the NEC (NFPA70). NFPA 70 chapt 250 (grounding) and chapt 760 (fire alarms). Fire alarm signaling systems is also a good book of reference written by Bukowski and Moore. In the test there are many references to everything I mentioned. Know basic ohms law and how to convert basic units of measure. Most people take the test 2 times to achieve level 2. Level 1 is basically given by signing your name to the test and passing a few of the elements. BTW i suggest signing up for as many elements as you can the first time. The test is a timed one but based on the number of elements chosen. Now dont think you have to pass all of them. Just use them for the extra time. figure out the minimum number of elements needed to pass level 2 and "concentrate" on the core elements. If you dont pass the core elements you cant pass the level. you have to take some elective elements also but again if you pass all the elective elements but not the minimum core elements you will not get level 2. I hope this helps. Also I have not heard of anyone ever getting anywhere with level 1. Level 2 is pretty much the minimum level that carries any weight. Let me know if I can add any more to my confusing rant........or clarify anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Reviving the thread...

OK....a little background...

I am a vollie (4yrs and counting), and I also work for a company that specializes in automation, fire alarms, and energy management systems. Of course, I'm in the fire alarm division.

The company will pay for any NICET testing that I want to take, or any other testing relating to fire alarm/detection/notification systems. With that said, are there any other certifications BESIDES NICET that would pertain to our specialty? I'm currently studying for NICET Level I/II. Just trying to know as much as I can, and make as much money as I can, too.

Thanks folks.
    Be safe.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NismoFire View Post
    OK....a little background...

I am a vollie (4yrs and counting), and I also work for a company that specializes in automation, fire alarms, and energy management systems. Of course, I'm in the fire alarm division.

The company will pay for any NICET testing that I want to take, or any other testing relating to fire alarm/detection/notification systems. With that said, are there any other certifications BESIDES NICET that would pertain to our specialty? I'm currently studying for NICET Level I/II. Just trying to know as much as I can, and make as much money as I can, too.

Thanks folks.
    Be safe.
    National Pro Board Fire Inspector I, II, and Fire Plans Examiner

International Code Council Fire Inspector I, II, and Fire Plans Examiner

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sgallagher View Post
    National Pro Board Fire Inspector I, II, and Fire Plans Examiner

International Code Council Fire Inspector I, II, and Fire Plans Examiner

Awesome. You personally familiar with them?
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Thread Information