Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Future Cadet! Any tips?

Ok not sure if this has been posted before but I am joining the Fire Cadets and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I will also be the only girl cadet.....any girls have or had this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Futureemt73193 View Post
    Ok not sure if this has been posted before but I am joining the Fire Cadets and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I will also be the only girl cadet.....any girls have or had this experience?
    Pay attention, Listen and you will be OK.

First off, welcome to the forums Futureemt. Like what afrexplorer said, when you are at the station, pay attention to what the Firefighters tell you. When you go on a call(if you are aloud to), listen and watch what the Firefighters do. If you have a question about something the Firefighters are doing to help someone, wait until you are going back to the station to ask your question(if you ask them about something while they are helping someone, the patient might question the Firefighter's judgment). I have been a Fire Explorer(an Explorer is a Cadet that is sponsored by the Boy Scouts)for about 3 years now and I have learned alot about the world of Firefighting. I have enjoyed being an Explorer so much, I want to become a full-time Firefighter someday. If you don't want to become a firefighter, you will still learn alot to help you in life. I wish you luck and I hope you will have a good time.

Forum Member

As an ex army cadet - also female, I have one pecie of advice

For the lord's sake don't forget your sense of humour!!!!

Oh and remeber that is someone is being crude (Over the top...not just the usual stuff) don't be afraid to let them know that you don't want to be hearing that. They are guys, if they get away with something once, most will assume its ok to keep doing it (whatever it is) in front of u. If u draw the line early they know whats ok and whats not. The trick with this is doing it the right why e.g. I don't have a hissy fit when someone drops the c word. but I will say "Oi fellas, now thats a bit excessive can we try and keep it a bit closer to a M or PG rating".....usually follwed up by a not so crude joke (if appropriate for the situation)

They will get there eventually, but remeber u are entering a male dominated service and not everyone is a choirboy

HAVE FUN DUDETTE!!

This is more geared for tower/Recruit training. But I think you will get some nuggets out of it.

TORRANCE FIRE DEPARTMENT

SUCCESSFULLY SURVIVING YOUR RECRUIT TRAINING

The following guidelines will help you be a successful recruit on the Torrance Fire Department. Many of you have various levels of experience and training which will be valuable to the Torrance Fire Department in the near future. But as a recruit (new employee), your probationary period will be much more pleasant if you can demonstrate patience in displaying your talents and skill until you’ve learned what we want you to know.

BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES FOR THE TRAINING TOWER

1. Do ask questions if you do not understand.
    2. Do take every opportunity to help to help one another develop into a team.
    3. The “Double Time Trot” is accepted mode of transportation from one place to another while outdoors.
    4. Tardiness or unexpected absenteeism will not be tolerated in the fire service, period. Better to be a hour early than a minute late.
    5. Arriving for duty unprepared will demonstrate the qualities necessary for a new career elsewhere.
    6. A lack of aggressiveness in manipulative work will shorten your basic training period significantly.
    7. Disregard for safety will get you canned.
    8. Standing with your hands in your pockets will raise questions about your respect for authority and your level of attention.
    9. Profanity and/or spitting on the ground will get you a job with someone else.
    10. If it doesn’t move, clean it. If it does move, address it as “Sir”.
    11. Don’t attempt to socialize with regular members of the department during the basic training period.
    12. Show respect for all co-workers at all times.
    13. Hustle, shine and always look good.

I think CALFFBOU said it best.

As the others have said, if you don't understand something for the love of god ask about it. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Your staff is there to help you learn and I'm sure can answer pretty well every question you will have and if they can't they will find someone who can. Try and take something from every session be it good or bad and learn from it. Best of luck to you and enjoy.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I think CALFFBOU said it best.

As the others have said, if you don't understand something for the love of god ask about it. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Your staff is there to help you learn and I'm sure can answer pretty well every question you will have and if they can't they will find someone who can. Try and take something from every session be it good or bad and learn from it. Best of luck to you and enjoy.
    Well said exactly as they all said ask questions pay attention and ya hope you enjoy it.

Default Thanks

Thank you guys for all the advice. I am sure it will help a lot. You guys sound like your getting along great! :-)

First off, welcome to the fire service!

Contrary to the beliefs of many around this forum, I do try to learn as much as I can and do try to participate in as many things as I can. I have gained the respect of most firefighters on my department by being a hard worker, asking questions, but also, most importantly, being a person who is easy to talk to and easy to get along with.

This is just like a fun version of school. Sit back, take notes, and when it comes time for you to respond to fire calls (check with your advisor to see if that is allowed in your post), then you will be all ready. If you don't listen to instructions or take notes, then you will be dumbfounded come time to fight a real fire or even a training fire at that.

One thing I would highly recommend is getting to know your trucks and where everything is. If you are tasked to a real fire or training fire, chances are your job will be acting as a "go-fer" which means you will be asked to retrieve stuff. If you don't know where anything is, you will not be as much of a necessity on the fire ground. One pet-peve I have is when an Explorer is asked to retrieve something on the truck during a live burn and spends hours racing around the trucks looking for the material. If you guys go to EMS runs, learning your way around the truck is ten times as important. If they ask you for an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and you don't know where it is, its just more time ticking down that could be vital to saving the pts. life.

To make a long story short, just try to learn as much as you can and have fun. Be serious during calls and be a team player. Basically that's all you need to do to be successful in the fire service!

Wink

Alright sounds great. Also I am allowed going on runs. I seen a few of you question that...!

Talking

I am a future cadet too. Does anyone know the average call per month ratio? And good luck to you.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Start running now, and get in shape.

Drink a lot of fluids. 2 waters to 1 gatorade seems to work well for me. Drink before class, during class, and after class.

pay attention and don't try be a know it all.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    Start running now, and get in shape.

Drink a lot of fluids. 2 waters to 1 gatorade seems to work well for me. Drink before class, during class, and after class.

pay attention and don't try be a know it all.

Ut oh.. i start in june.. in the beigning of summer. Im guessing there is ALOT of exercising in full equipment and SCBA?
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Smile

Good luck to you, MustaNG1964! I am not sure of the call per month ratio. But if I figure out I will let you know. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Futureemt73193 View Post
    Good luck to you, MustaNG1964! I am not sure of the call per month ratio. But if I figure out I will let you know. :-)

Thanks alot, my friend said it (pager) rings ALOT but thats because its for all the local departments. Your screenname is FUTURE EMT so good luck to you also
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Don't be a kiss *****...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Thanks for the good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    First off, welcome to the fire service!

One thing I would highly recommend is getting to know your trucks and where everything is. If you are tasked to a real fire or training fire, chances are your job will be acting as a "go-fer" which means you will be asked to retrieve stuff. If you don't know where anything is, you will not be as much of a necessity on the fire ground. One pet-peve I have is when an Explorer is asked to retrieve something on the truck during a live burn and spends hours racing around the trucks looking for the material. If you guys go to EMS runs, learning your way around the truck is ten times as important. If they ask you for an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and you don't know where it is, its just more time ticking down that could be vital to saving the pts. life.
    What he said--make a few largish drawings-Left side-right side -Birds Eye view of the trucks-go round each and every locker --examine/record contents do little list/plan of seperate items(you get the idea)
    --do a check list/inventory each and every time you have spare time--this was the procedure for us probies in the early 60's--know if items are "off the run"(better yet find out where the expression came from) clue? It involves horses. Whilst I wish you well --I must admit I am "old school" and do not agree with women in the job--flak jacket donned!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Don't be a kiss *****...lol
    uh.. who me?
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Wink

Thanks for your advice! Woah ok.....we can do anything you guys can....and we can do it while wearing high heels ok lol jk haha (I would never try high heels, cant even keep my balance in bare feet or tennis shoes)....I couldn't think of anything to say...blonde moment. Thats fine with me that you have that opinion and no offence taken and thank you for wishing me the best.

Thread Information