MembersZone Subscriber

Default PND's What are everyones thoughts? Garmin???

I've been looking at perhaps getting one of these things for the family for christmas.

Been on a few trips and it would have helped in a few occasions.

I think I'm leaning towards a Garmin (not sure which model yet). I looked at TomTom and wasn't impressed with the features as compared to the models Garmin had...although Garmin costs a little more which might account for the extra features.

Anyone else have one of these things and any thoughts on this...any techno nerds have the break down on what is a good PND to have?

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-21-2007 at 03:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I bought a Garmin 330i two years ago, and it works pretty well. The Office bought a couple too, a few months ago. Easy to use, and pretty "friendly". Magellen is another one that I would look at, too.

We use TomTom at the station, and for the most part, I'd like to "oopsss" it.... but they are a bit too expensive for that sort of thing. I don't think they are very friendly to use on the fly, but thats just my thoughts.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Question embarrassment

ummm...what's a pnd?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    ummm...what's a pnd?
    Personel Navigation Device, just a guess. Brother has one and work has them. One is Garmin other is Magellan. Both are good.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry I assumed everyone was up to speed on this new lingo.

Here is one manufactures web site.

Garmin Personal Navigation Device

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

garmin 330 I love it
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    ummm...what's a pnd?
    Hey, at least SOMEONE had the guts to ask! Thanks LOL! When I saw this last night (after a few adult beverages) I was like, ok am I just drunk, 'cause this is all Greek to me.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Otherwise known as a GPS!
    Or a Car Talky GPS as my 4 yr old cousin calls it

MembersZone Subscriber

I use Verizon's VZ Navigator built right into my cell phone, for $10/month.

Real time turn-by-turn visual and audible directions with GPS following, business directory, address mapping and trip planning.

I've even used it to locate addresses on mutual aid runs, and found it to be easier to use than flipping through map books. It has never failed me (yet).

A lot cheaper than a stand-alone PND, and it is with me wherever I go in or out of the car. I even used it to find the shortest walking route out of a LARGE city park when we were on a long stroll on the trail network in the woods and rain started to move in. They are awesome when you are on foot while visiting a town somewhere and want to find the closest fill-in-the-blank.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

PND is a new term for me too. I have have a Magellan SportTrak . This is a good GPS if you are hiking or need detailed information telling you where you are in the world. I did some geocaching with this and it works great. I have also used this to determine in which town an incident, typically a vehicle accident, has occured. Used it last week at a rollover-the local cop had a cheap Chamber of Commerce map trying to figure out if the accident was in our town, I use the GPS and showed it was not ours-made his day (no accident report).

I just put a Garmin Nuvi 660 in my department car for a lot less than the list price. It works great, talks to me (without nagging, I might add) to gets me where I need to go. I can select restaurants, ATM's, entertainment, etc, it will list what is available in the area and talk me there. The Nuvi does not give the detailed information the Sportak does. I now use the Nuvi for driving and the Sportrak for hiking or detailed positioning.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 09-23-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Default sigh.............

I TRY to keep up with what's going on in techno-land but sometimes I feel like, to quote a line from Mr. Roboto, "machines dehumanize". Sometimes it's really useful/fun, other times it's just a royal pain in the kazoo!

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not know how I survived before I had my Garmin 330. I do fires all over NJ and Eastern PA. Time after time, it takes me to the front door of addresses that mapquest doesn't have. It can also help you with detours when traffic is backed up.

I even can change the voice to Australian or British. It helps me think of Kiwi and SteveDude.

Forum Member

the voice in GPS is boring and makes me crazy,specially when you are looking for a small street(name of the street) and the voice repeats again and again the name of this street at the end of your drive.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    the voice in GPS is boring and makes me crazy,specially when you are looking for a small street(name of the street) and the voice repeats again and again the name of this street at the end of your drive.
    Turn the volume down. Seems a litte silly to not like a device that works well because you don't like the sound it makes.

Forum Member

One of my fellow Deputies bought one (his is TomTom) when he helped move his daughter to Florida.

He left it in the car the other day and asked me to try it. It was accurate... I punched in my home address and I followed the directions right to the door.

He showed it to the Chief, who is contemplating buying them for the rigs. They would be great for mutual aid runs, as well as the small obscure streets that you have in your community (the kind that make you look them up in the map books).
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-23-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing you all have to remember is that Personal Navigators are THE hot ticket item for thieves these days. Don't leave it in the car at the mall or the office or you will likely find it gone when you get back. Also, leaving it in the gig unlocked in the 'hood may be a bad thing, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    I use Verizon's VZ Navigator built right into my cell phone, for $10/month.

Real time turn-by-turn visual and audible directions with GPS following, business directory, address mapping and trip planning.

I've even used it to locate addresses on mutual aid runs, and found it to be easier to use than flipping through map books. It has never failed me (yet).

A lot cheaper than a stand-alone PND, and it is with me wherever I go in or out of the car. I even used it to find the shortest walking route out of a LARGE city park when we were on a long stroll on the trail network in the woods and rain started to move in. They are awesome when you are on foot while visiting a town somewhere and want to find the closest fill-in-the-blank.
    Now remember I'm just learning about this stuff like everyone else...hense why I came on here looking for some input from those tech-happy people who get into this stuff years before guys like break down and actually spend money on this stuff.(I won't tell you how long ago I got my first cell phone...it wasn't that long.) So forgive me if my info is wrong, I only know what I've been told or read on the subject.

I asked a few friends about that after I read about the cellphone GPS in the paper and I found out there were some problems.

1-costs monthly fee, PNDs to my surprise cost NOTHING! No monthly fee, no subscription...it astounded me...but that is my understanding of it. Long term I imagine the cost evens out.
    2-Needs cell signal to work...not practical in some places.
    3-If you get a call it kicks you out of system...might depend on brand of phone that does this...not sure.
    4-Not really GPS as it is based off cell towers triangulation...not sure how important that is, because I never tried both.
    5-Salesman(take this with grain of salt) also pointed out it is illegal to drive while using a cell phone...it isn't illegal to use a PND.

Like I said I'm not even sure if I want one that is portable or just the car mounted ones. I've been on a few trips lately where I think one of these things would have come in very handy...still not sure if it is as good as an old-fashioned Hagstroms.

I did hear good things about those Garmin hiking GPS things...from a few guys in my house who are avid outdoorsmen...I'm not in the market for one so I don't really know much about them...other than guys I know that have them love them.

Thanks for the input...

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if they make any of these devices, Garmin, Tomtom, Magellen...etc with the abilitiy to see the cost of gas at local gas pumps displayed on the screne?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    1-costs monthly fee, PNDs to my surprise cost NOTHING! No monthly fee, no subscription...it astounded me...but that is my understanding of it. Long term I imagine the cost evens out.
    true, but some PNDs do charge you to get updates with all the new streets that pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    5-Salesman(take this with grain of salt) also pointed out it is illegal to drive while using a cell phone...it isn't illegal to use a PND.
    I'm sure your salesman also told you that it was illegal to have anything attached to your windshield, such as a GPS suction cup mounting, as it can be considered a visual obstruction by an overzealous police officer.

oddly enough, dash mounted ones are permitted.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    true, but some PNDs do charge you to get updates with all the new streets that pop up.
    I'm sure your salesman also told you that it was illegal to have anything attached to your windshield, such as a GPS suction cup mounting, as it can be considered a visual obstruction by an overzealous police officer.

oddly enough, dash mounted ones are permitted.
    Good points...thanks for the info.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Turn the volume down. Seems a litte silly to not like a device that works well because you don't like the sound it makes.

but i admit i'm a little ,well,a lot silly when i drive,i become a "beast",yelling in my car to other drivers.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I even can change the voice to Australian or British. It helps me think of Kiwi and SteveDude.
    Does anyone make one with a New Jersey accent, just in case SteveDude or Kiwi want to think about George?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    Does anyone make one with a New Jersey accent, just in case SteveDude or Kiwi want to think about George?
    Nope. We wouldn't give you directions. We would just tell you to go f%$@ yoursef!

Forum Member

I think we have a 330 Garmin as well and the thing seems to be really accurate so far. I guess we can have it updated periodically for new streets and such but does anyone know if you can get a chip/card to convert it for use in a boat? The manual for the one inthe bus is loooong gone. And for those wondering the Northern New Englander voice options claims "Ya can't get thar from he'ah!" even tho' the map clearly indicates otherwise....
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

Talking Australian accent == Kiwi

Unless the oz accent tells you to get your bro's in the car to go down the road for some fush and chups it don't sound like a kiwi cuzin!

Just kiddin Kiwi........BTW bring on All Blacks Vs Wallibies for the World Cup!!

Thread Information