Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfirs

Forum Member

Default Nfirs

I was wondering if many vollies are using a NFIRS incident reporting system, ie; third party software, and any suggestions towards good CHEAP NFIRS based software? I've tried the free NFIRS thing that uncle sam provides, good grief way too much rocket science. I need something that's "point and click".
    Neighbors Helping Neighbors

Does your state have a NFIRS program? They might have a preference for reporting if they do. Otherwise they could at least help point you to some options.

One good option for a small volume department would be online reporting. You could use the USFA NFIRS online system if your state participates or a commercial solution.

I don't any expereiice with this particular compnay but here's one online option as an example: http://www.nfirsonline.com/www/index.html
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 09-22-2007 at 11:33 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

The system we use at work is called Red Alert made by Alpine Software. GREAT stuff, would highly recommend it, but my guess is that it's rather pricey.

At the VFD, we're using FirePrograms. Not quite as smooth as Red Alert, but still customizable to meet your department's needs, and the customer support has been excellent too. Been using it for over 5 years.

One thing to note about the NFIRS software, rather you use 3rd party stuff, or the Uncle Sam freebee, is that it's got A LOT of capabilities. It can be intimidating, and it can scare a lot of people who don't know how to use it. One of the great assests is the "search" feature. Did you know there's a code for a mailbox fire? How about a code for a club house? You can do a smoke scare, "no emergency found at address dispatched to" or the favorite on your mutual aid runs, "dispatched and cancelled enroute".

Good luck on your search, sorry for the side tangent...

Forum Member

What problems are you having with the FEMA NFIRS program??
    It's what we switched to and aren't having any problems at all.

Forum Member

What type of point and click do you want? We use the Fed version and if we double click on the input field it comes up with a list of optional codes to choose. Mandatory fields (most of them) having a yellow background.

Addressing etc you have to type in but I would think the coding for the incident types are workable.

You can also save templates for frequent call locations or call types... saves typing stuff....

Forum Member

Here in colorado there is a class's ofered by the colorado state fire chief assn. it is a FREE class but it takes about 12 hours to compleate to use the fed software and it takes about 10min for a small incident and about 30 for an all out fire.
    NOTE this is at 26K dialup

We use Firehouse Software. Works for us but we've been using it for many years now. I've taken our State course with the free issued software program and they are similar so I'm not sure there is going to be much difference out there regarding the meat and potatoes portion of the program.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you'll find out that any software that is NFIRS compliant is going to be as intensive as NFIRS.

Have you used the free software much at all? I thought it was a pain in the tail when I first started using it. Now that I've got some reports under my belt, I've figured out where everything is and it's pretty easy to negotiate. I actually prefer it to the HTE software we use at my career department.

Catch, as for me, I used the free program about as long as it took to do a dry run during the State course.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber rescueman5's Avatar

We also us the Firehouse program. It works great and you get updates. There is a free program offered through the state that is pretty much the same. There is also 2 classes offered through the state academy , one for basic use and the other on how to really break it down so you can pretty much tell someone just about anything you might want to know about your deartment.
    Volunteer Firefighters: We Do It For Free 24/7/365

Thread Information