Forum Member

Default Most Interesting Medical Call

Now I know that not all explorers are allowed to go on medical runs but those that do and are cleared by their department and are qualified to do so what was you're most interesting call. Mine would have to be any MVA call I go on because you are in a fight aginst time (golden hour) and also there is alot to do and you can tell if you are making a difference
    Last edited by btvaine; 10-04-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine
    Now I know that not all explorers are allowed to go on medical runs but those that do and are cleared by their department and are qualified to do so what was you're most interesting call.
    I don't really care to talk about the EMS runs I've been on. That may just be me, though. Alls I'm willing say is that I've been on 4 EMS runs; 2 were toned out as chest pains, 1 was a child with a facial injury, and the other was a person passed out.
    As for the most interesting... ::Cough:: HIPPA ::Cough:: doesn't allow me to give that information out.

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine
    I don't care if you don't think they should go on medical runs thats not what this post is about I just want to her somebody elses stories
    Don't say that... everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Try earning some respect around here... the comments toward you will stop if you stop being immature and grow up.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    I don't really care to talk about the EMS runs I've been on. That may just be me, though. Alls I'm willing say is that I've been on 4 EMS runs; 2 were toned out as chest pains, 1 was a child with a facial injury, and the other was a person passed out.
    As for the most interesting... ::Cough:: HIPPA ::Cough:: doesn't allow me to give that information out.
    I'm in that same boat. A lot of the medicals I have been on are not really ones I want to speak about. A lot of them were pretty bad ones. Often very graphic and many rough to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326
    Don't say that... everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Try earning some respect around here... the comments toward you will stop if you stop being immature and grow up.

Well put man. Don't worry I'm sure someone will come in here, say something to him he doesn't like and then he will vanish again.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

only reason I stopped posting last time was because everything I said was wrong so there was no point in me trying to continue the post. And as for the foot note all I was trying to say was to try and stay on the subject of "your most interesting call" and not wether or not explorers should be able to go on medicals so you don't have to make waves I am not trying to **** anyone off just tired if people being a**holes and being stupid and not answering the post

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine View Post
    I am not trying to **** anyone off just tired if people being a**holes and being stupid and not answering the post
    Just a quick pointer:

Calling people A-holes is a good way to **** them off.

Forum Member

only reason I stopped posting last time was because everything I said was wrong so there was no point in me trying to continue the post. And as for the foot note all I was trying to say was to try and stay on the subject of "your most interesting call" and not wether or not explorers should be able to go on medicals so you don't have to make waves I am not trying to **** anyone off just tired if people being a**holes and being stupid and not answering the post
    And try using some grammer too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hippa doesn't allow you to not talk about medical calls... Hippa does not allow you to give personnal information such as addresses, names etc dude......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    Hippa doesn't allow you to not talk about medical calls... Hippa does not allow you to give personnal information such as addresses, names etc dude......
    I understand that. That is why I went no further.
    And yes, I understand that I already crossed the "line".
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

If I can recall my EMT-B course correct the EMS providers are allowed to talk about the incident as long as the information they pass along doesn't devulge the patients name, adress or any other personal info. So basically you can discuss the patients injury or illness and any interventions you performed.

With that said I also understand not wanting to bring back memories that are best forgotten.

As for me I don't have any interesting medical locals to share, mainly because I am not much of a fan of EMS. My firehouse doesn't have any ambulances in house, but we run all first due medicals.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

I understand that. No you don't, but that's ok, cause I'm gonna explain it to ya... That is why I went no further. If you choose not to talk about something, cool...but your rationale is flawed--what he was telling you, and is absolutely correct about, is that HIPAA (yes, one P, two As) does not prevent you from talking about a call, you just cannot reveal any "personally identifying information", which may include name, address, phone number, SSN, etc. Just saying "We went on a rollover TA on the interstate, and the A-pillar came down and crushed this guy's head like a grape," doesn't violate anything
    And yes, I understand that I already crossed the "line".
    (and now, young Exploder, armed with the correct knowledge, you realize that you didn't step over anything, and have no reason to be worried about the HIPAA-nazis come to take you to Stalag 13)
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    (and now, young Exploder, armed with the correct knowledge, you realize that you didn't step over anything, and have no reason to be worried about the HIPAA-nazis come to take you to Stalag 13)
    I stand corrected.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    Got to it before i did...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

some interesting stories i've been on:

Guy shoved a hampster up his butt and it got stuck. Started tearing him up.

Lady stappled her hand to a wall while putting up wall-papper. 4 months later she stepped on a rake and it went through her foot.

Ran a DOA once and the lady who was about 50 years old had a vibrator(still on) inside of her.

Thats all i can get off the top of my head. I'm sure i'll think of some more later.

Forum Member

HIPAA regulations only regard keeping the personal info confidential. You can say what the call was as long as you don't give out any info that could possibly identify the pt. And if you don't really care about discussing the EMS calls that you've responded to, then why post anything on this thread?
    Last edited by Explorer343; 09-27-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post

Lady stappled her hand to a wall while putting up wall-papper. 4 months later she stepped on a rake and it went through her foot.

Ran a DOA once and the lady who was about 50 years old had a vibrator(still on) inside of her.

Thats all i can get off the top of my head. I'm sure i'll think of some more later.
    Are you an Explorer? If so, I believe that it is against BSA regs to respond to DOA's. I may be wrong (it's happened before).

Forum Member

Default Ignore the jerks and listen to the helpful!

I know where your coming from. When I first joined, everybody was, in your words, a**holes to me as well. Just ignore them and just listen to the helpful responses. No use in arguing with them. When you first join, everyone has these ridiculously high expectations. To them, you're supposed to know everything! Most on this forum are ridiculous and just a waste of time but some can give you helpful answers and try to help you advance through your Explorer career and, if you so choose to, your future firefighting career!!
    Last edited by Explorer343; 09-27-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Forum Member

Default If you don't like the thread, then DON'T POST ANYTHING ON IT!

I would like to explain something that should have been obvious to humans with a functioning brain. If you don't like the topic/content of the thread, THEN DON'T READ IT!!!!!!! You guys are not being forced to read any threads. You HAVE the power to not click on a thread that you deem stupid, ridiculous, etc. You don't like it, THEN DON'T READ IT!!!!!!
    Last edited by Explorer343; 09-27-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post

About the guy, did that really happen?

Forum Member

Now I know that not all explorers are allowed to go on medical runs but those that do and are cleared by their department and are qualified to do so what was you're most interesting call.

I don't care if you don't think they should go on medical runs thats not what this post is about I just want to her somebody elses stories
    I responded to two medicals so far. Both were for heat related emergencies (the temp. that day was 101 degrees).

Did you really just make 6 posts in a row? I think thats a new record!

And if you don't really care about discussing the EMS calls that you've responded to, then why post anything on this thread?
    I would like to explain something that should have been obvious to humans with a functioning brain. If you don't like the topic/content of the thread, THEN DON'T READ IT!!!!!!! You guys are not being forced to read any threads. You HAVE the power to not click on a thread that you deem stupid, ridiculous, etc. You don't like it, THEN DON'T READ IT!!!!!!
    Most on this forum are ridiculous and just a waste of time
    On top of that, half of those posts were pot stirring wastes of time. You have shown over and over again that you like to start threads (or turn them into) pointless crap storms.

And before you say I didn't add anything constructive to this thread, I have a good reason. Explorers on my post are not allowed to respond to EMS calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    About the guy, did that really happen?
    Yeah. He was a homosexual. He and his "partner" thought it would feel good.

Forum Member

Are you an Explorer? If so, I believe that it is against BSA regs to respond to DOA's. I may be wrong (it's happened before).
    I'm not an explorer. Junior/HS-Cadet about to become FF(II)

I've had my EMT-B card for over a year and I'm allowed to respond on any call, on any piece. Just not as minimum staffing. I can ride 3rd on the ambulance(or OIC if someone over 18 rides 3rd), 4th on the engine/truck/squad

Are you an Explorer? If so, I believe that it is against BSA regs to respond to DOA's. I may be wrong (it's happened before)
    I know you know what DOA stands for, right? Deceased (or dead) on Arrival. Sometimes you know they are going to be gone, and then you tell the explorer not to get on, but at least around here, most of the DOAs are unresponsive person/person down/cardiac arrest.

Do any departments respond to confirmed DOAs?

^serious question.^

Forum Member

HIPAA regulations only regard keeping the personal info confidential. You can say what the call was as long as you don't give out any info that could possibly identify the pt. And if you don't really care about discussing the EMS calls that you've responded to, then why post anything on this thread?
    Why repeat what three people have already said...?

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    Did you really just make 6 posts in a row? I think thats a new record!

On top of that, half of those posts were pot stirring wastes of time. You have shown over and over again that you like to start threads (or turn them into) pointless crap storms.
    Yeah. What he said... (I don't need to repeat. It's been said.)
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 09-27-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    I know you know what DOA stands for, right? Deceased (or dead) on Arrival. Sometimes you know they are going to be gone, and then you tell the explorer not to get on, but at least around here, most of the DOAs are unresponsive person/person down/cardiac arrest.

Do any departments respond to confirmed DOAs?

^serious question.^

Guess what you consider a "confirmed DOA" is. If a person calls and says "hey, i think my moms dead" than yeah, they usually send an Ambulance/Medic and an engine to go check/start CPR if necessary.

However if theres say a cop or something on scene and they inform dispatch of a DOA, than no, we don't.

Thread Information