Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LifeFlight

Forum Member

Default LifeFlight

Has anyone ever done a MVA or a medical where a LifeFlight had to be called its pretty cool. We uassualy land the bird at a near-by college campus feild or our community centers soccer feild but once we went mutual aid to an MVA right acroos the town line and our job was to set up a landing zone right there on the highway so the bird knew where to land.
    Last edited by btvaine; 09-24-2007 at 07:57 PM.

...........confused........

Yes, Life Flight gets called when it is cold out. The pilots are only asked if they feel that they can fly. They are not told what the call is until the accept the mission, so their emotions do not get in the way of making a rational decision.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

I clicked on this figuring it was someone asking if explorers or juniors should be allowed to fly medevac helos......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    I clicked on this figuring it was someone asking if explorers or juniors should be allowed to fly medevac helos......
    ROF-LMFAO
    I thought it was going to be asking if Explorers/Juniors could fly medevacs in ice storm conditions...

No hablo espanol.
    If some people learned how to write in Engilsh, they'd get better answers out of people and wouldn't get these smart as$ comments from others such as like myself.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

You mean that you don't think that I should be able to fly my Eurocopter Dauphin even on a nice day such as today!?!?!?!

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!?!?!

Not only did I see a thing about pilot training on the discovery channel last week, but I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'm good to go. Who needs a medevac?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You mean that you don't think that I should be able to fly my Eurocopter Dauphin even on a nice day such as today!?!?!?!

Not only did I see a thing about pilot training on the discovery channel last week, but I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In that case, me too!
    I also bought and built my gryocopter in 6 and a half hours and succesfully landed it at school this morning.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

What kind of light bar do you have on that?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Right Company, just wrong model. Most Medivac birds are now moving towards the EC-135, as seen here....
    They are favored due to the rear clamshell doors, room inside for crew of 2, equipment for 2, and room for 2 pts. They also have an excellent safety track record, unlike the Dauphin, which has, at times, been spotty, despite the heavy use by the USCG.

Oh, btw, I used to be a Medivac dispatcher, and I see Flight Medic/RN in my future.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    ...If some people learned how to write in Engilsh, ...
    Would that be a new version of English?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

HAHA. To be honest I will say I thought the same thing.

To answer the question YES.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

I'm still trying to figure out what the cold has to do with this. Unless he meant to say "Its pretty cool" instead. (standby for illiterate-to-english translation)

-----------------------------------------------
    Has anyone ever done an MVA or a medical where an aero-medical helicopter had to be called? Its pretty coool. We usually land the bird at a near-by college campus field or our community center's soccer field. However, once we went mutual aid to an MVA right across the town line and our job was to set up a landing zone right there on the highway so the bird knew where to land.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by btvaine View Post
    Has anyone ever done a MVA or a medical where a LifeFlight had to be called its pretty cool.
    Thats a great attitude! Someone has been hurt so bad or is so sick that they need to be FLOWN to the hospital, and the best way you can think of to describe it is "cool."

Heres an idea. When you want to see helicopters go and spend a day at the fence of an airport. When your on an emergency scene, remember that the people you are helping may be having the worst day of their lives, and unfortunately, sometimes the last.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    Thats a great attitude! Someone has been hurt so bad or is so sick that they need to be FLOWN to the hospital, and the best way you can think of to describe it is "cool."

Heres an idea. When you want to see helicopters go and spend a day at the fence of an airport. When your on an emergency scene, remember that the people you are helping may be having the worst day of their lives, and unfortunately, sometimes the last.
    Nice catch Jack! Thanks!
    Now, btvaine, I'm not too happy...

Has anyone ever done a MVA or a medical where a LifeFlight had to be called its pretty cool. We uassualy land the bird at a near-by college campus feild or our community centers soccer feild but once we went mutual aid to an MVA right acroos the town line and our job was to set up a landing zone right there on the highway so the bird knew where to land.
    That slipped right past me earlier.
    I was in an accident 7 years ago, September 10th. I was 9 years old. A lady was coming towards me and my dad on her cell phone. She tried to make a left hand turn right in front of us and my dad didn't have enough time to say, "Oh *****" before he realized what was happening, needless to say, we t-boned her passenger side at 55 mph (the speed limit on the road we were on). If I hadn't had my seatbelt on, I would have been rocket science and not here today. Here I was in the passenger seat of the car, both of my arms broken and my forehead gushing blood. We were about a good 15 minute drive from the nearest ER, but a good 1/2 hour-45 minute drive to the nearest Level 1 trauma center/Mercy Children's hospital. I was Life Flighted with the lady who hit us, to Mercy Children's Hospital. My injuries included: 2 broken wrists, torn ab. muscles, over 200 stitches in my forehead from hitting the windshield, and a stomach surgery to repair 6" of my colon and removal of my appendix(sp?) and another 6" of my intestine. They weren't so sure I was going to make it through the first night.
    You think it's COOL to see Life Flight land? Big whoop! Put yourself in that person's/person's family's shoes. Every time I see Flight going somewhere, as my house is right in their path when they're going somewhere south, I say a prayer, not only for the crew (as I know a couple of them closely), but for the patient(s) and their families. I find it SAD that you find it "cool" knowing that the people who are being flown have life threatening injuries or are dying. Yes, that WAS the worst day of my life. THAT DAY changed my life forever. I will never forget looking out the window watch the propeller spin before I went out of it.
    And once again, your comments thus far aren't getting you anywhere.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 09-24-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT

god

I've been to some MVAs where we had to land a choper (ARCH Air Medical though)

BT-where are you from?

Forum Member

Hey btvaine

Mabye you should look at how you word these things. As you can see above most people understand that its not "cool" when a chopper needs to be utilised for patient evac.

HOWEVER

I can understand that this experience may have been an excellent learning opputunity for you and crew as you were hopefully shown the correct way to mark an LZ, guide in the chopper and correctly communicate/approach if/when guided by the crew. These are great skills to have even when you aren't out with your crew. I have had to guide more choppers into MVA's/Canyon rescues/climbing rescues in my day job (6 times in the last few years) than I have with my POC crew (once).

Luckily I had been taught as an army cadet the correct helicopter safety guidlines including LZ designation/grade selection and obstacle identification.
    No one else on these scence had the knowledge and the crews were really greatful as it made their job that little bit easier.

Next time you are on on scence and see something tha makes your inner child go "oh cool" tell him to shutup and start looking for the lessons you can take away from workin with the many varied agencies involved.

Just my 2 cents......BTW guys I think he has probably learnt about the correct use/proper time of the work cool!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMtnsFirey View Post
    Just my 2 cents......BTW guys I think he has probably learnt about the correct use/proper time of the work cool!
    Doubtful--check out his other "illustrious" threads... he seems to be a bit slow on the uptake about proper subjects to post and ways to approach posting them. Personally, I think our boy BT rides the short yellow engine to calls.
    Last edited by the1141man; 09-25-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    . . . .yellow engine to calls.
    hey, whats wrong with yellow?
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    hey, whats wrong with yellow?

Firefighter/EMT

RFxplr326,

I was just joking.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    RFxplr326,

I was just joking.
    And so was I.
    Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information