Default 17 and need help with becoming a firefigher.

Hey guys hows it goin'?

Alright, first off, I'm 17 so keep in mind I'm still in highschool. Secondly I don't know all of what I need to do to be a firefighter. The people I've asked around here say "Go take courses at a community college, thats all you can do". I'm pretty sure that's not all there is to it, so I came here to get a thorough and complete list of what I need to get covered. I do plan to dual enroll in a community college soon though if they let you take the course before graduating highschool. Hopfully they do because I want to start as soon as I graduate.

Thanks for any info.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

There are many different ways to get your feet wet in the fire service before/during a college degree is pursued. Many volunteer fire companies have junior firefighter programs that accept members who are under the age of 18. This would give you the opportunity to start taking some training classes and getting some "on the job" experience.

Another option is to enlist in the military. I know that the US Air Force has one of the best firefighting programs. I'm actually considering this option myself...

And yes, the fire science degree is a good idea.

Ultimately, it depends on which fire dept. you are looking at working for. Some career departments dont require a college degree or being a part of the military. Some companies want to see State or National Certifications (FF1, FF2, FO1, FO2, etc.), and that you handle your probationary period well.

My first recommendation is to get involved with a volunteer fire company ASAP and start getting some experience and making sure that the fire service really is the thing for you.

If you have any more questions or want to get more in-depth with details, feel free to email me at firefighter_station168@yahoo.com.

GOOD LUCK and STAY SAFE.

Forum Member

Default Re:

email me at firefighter_station168@yahoo.com. I'll reply with details... for some reason this forum won't let me post.

Forum Member

Default problem

im having trouble with the forums. email me at firefighter_station168@yahoo.com.

Thread Information