Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Work conditions at AMR?

Recently the company I work for was/or is in the process of being aquired by AMR. Would like to know what I am in for. We have been told that things would not change. Would like to compare notes.

I may be able to help, depends on where you are located? I work for AMR in Southern California.

Your Company Will Now Be AMR? Of Course Things Will Change. Just Realize That Their Main Focus Is Making Money. It's A Big Corporation With All That Corporate Crap That Comes With It. They Won't Hire People And Pay Them A Decent Wage To Retain Them, They'd Rather Hire 10 People A Month And Remain Short Staffed.

I'm Curious What Area You're In.

Default The Borg - Assimilating Medical Rides

Ah My Ride.
    If you are already dealing with increased call volume, understaffing, constant strife between dispatch and field units, having calls dropped on you while you still have a patient on your stretcher, unfinished paperwork from the two previous calls they dropped on you, crossing cars, getting held over constantly, no lunches even though it's in your contract, the company listening to the FD, hospitals, facilities but NOT the field crews; yeah, everything should remain the same.

A lot of it depends on the supervisors. I came from a operations center that did all of the above and more. Yet have talked to other AMR employees that were somewhat contented with their operations. My old operations had a 5% matching 401k, not sure if that was local or national level. Flexible-ish schedules. No need to quit now. Stick it out and see how it goes for a bit.

Good luck,
    bam

I recently turned in my application with AMR. Im waiting to hear back and would love to get as much information as I could on the company.

Forum Member

Default Cougs

AMR might not be a bad place if you have a set goal (gaining patient contacts for medic school) and a MAXIMUM timeline you want to spend transporting (EX: 1 year). It has its benefits. You get lots of patient contact, and become very proficient at doing vitals, performing detailed exams and getting your acronyms down (SAMPLE, SOAP, OPQRST, etc). However, you rarely get to do intial assesments and make the critical decisions first due fire agencies get to encounter.

They (AMR) are the primary transport agency in King County and from conversations I have had with firefighters with local departments, and personal experience they do NOT have the best reputation. Many get sh*t on from both sides (internal/external) and as a result develop bad attitudes. TriMed has a better reputation, plus they offer 24 hour shifts. However, they're still a transport agency.

I know many AMB'ers, and in the past two years only ONE (that I know of) has been hired directly as an EMT, and it has been argued that that particular person was a "checking off the boxes" hire. One other got hired because he used his AMB time to get into medic school, which springboarded him into a job offer as a FF/PM. Most I come into contact either a) have attitude issues or b) seem burned out or c) are complete clowns. Nearly all those I know personally have given up or in various stages on giving up on the process all together. My cousin has worked for them for two years, and is already working on life plan B (outside of the fire service). Plus they're either dead broke or bogged down in overtime to avoid being broke.

In my humble opinion you're better off getting on with a local combination department and doing your EMS time there. You will get to make decisions and have the opportunity to be mentored by career staff, and avoid the mire of doing transport on crap aid calls. You willl also (if you haven't already) get the opportunity to have your schooling (EMT, FF-1, etc) PAID for you. OR, you can get on as an ER tech with a hospital. Slightly better pay, time spent around doctors, nurses and ER paramedics (Pierce County).

But remember, in the end none of this stuff matters if you can't nail an oral board interview. The interview, not the certs or the experience, are what get you recruit spot(s).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 10-04-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Working for AMR is definently(sp?) not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I just figured that if it is going to take me a while to get hired on by a department then I have to find a job in the mean time. Plus I think that it will look good on my resume.

Forum Member

Default Resume

Your timeline can be significantly shortened if you learn to how to NAIL A FIRE DEPARTMENT INTERVIEW.

Once you learn how to own the oral board your resume will be a non-factor. People get hired ALL the time without experience because they assembled killer interviews.

And remember, fire departments will TRAIN you do to do things THEIR WAY, regardless of whether you have experience or not! I knew a Starubucks barista who got hired at Bellingham FD (legit department) last year. It was his first test. He had ZERO experience. I knew another guy from Tacoma who was a seasoned FF/EMT before he got hired with TFD. They sent him though THEIR EMT-B school, to learn to do things THEIR way!
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 10-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    They (AMR) are the primary transport agency in King County....Many get sh*t on from both sides (internal/external) and as a result develop bad attitudes.
    ...Most I come into contact either a) have attitude issues or b) seem burned out or c) are complete clowns....
    Wait a minute. Have we met??

Powerhour is correct in a lot of what he's posted. Make sure you are working on the oral interview skills as well. Just like practicing for an exam by studying, the physical agility by working out, you've got to be ready for the interview. You don't want to be caught in the headlights and have to wing it there when they ask you the question.

Write down your answers. Re-write them. Write them how you would answer them out loud, not how you would on paper.
    Rehearse your answers until you don't sound rehearsed.

Oh yeah, this was about AMR. Powerhourcoug mentioned this so I rolled with it too.

Private EMS is usually a stepping stone for many. Only the rare few can stick it out and make it a career while others get stuck trying to step to the next stone. If you get to that point, don't beat yourself up over it.

GoCougs, check your PM.

Hang tough,
    bam

Permanently Removed

Ya'll, It's pretty much like working for a company that refurbishes dildos in singapore making 10 cents an hour. Operating out of a basement with no A/C, no windows, and a couple of large sweaty men hovering over you, all day. Stay away and remember Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EmsSup34 View Post
    I may be able to help, depends on where you are located? I work for AMR in Southern California.
    I'm curious how you like them? Because I work for another ambulance company here is southern California and we have a few guys from AMR. I haven't talked with them too much since we usually are not on the same shifts, but from what I've heard, they didn't seem to enjoy AMR too much.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

Eh, it may not be AMR, but it might as well be. I work for a private, we are overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, and did I mention overworked? I've been working there for two years, dealt with the BS, had my wages reduced, lived on no sleep, no food, and been yelled at for what seems like the whole shift. I finally have gotten to the point where I just can't pull off full time anymore, I literally eat advil like candy becuase I hurt so much, I don't sleep well, I have no personal life, and I crack, creak and groan like I'm 70.

Private EMS sucks...hack it as long as you can, then get the F out.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Default AMB's

I've heard BCLepore and others give praise to Long Beach's AMB service, it sounds like they have a nice program down there. I believe it is public though. I imagine some places are great and make a good springboard into a career FF gig.

Thanks for all the responses. I took their test last week and am just waiting to hear back from them now. Long Beach Fire Department does their own transport.

Thread Information