Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Hook & Can

Default This makes sense...

...no, not really. But hey, why let logic get in the way?

So the WebTeam shows up and closes down this thread from BLSBoy on MySpace accounts, and what was reasonably civil discussion than most around here regarding the amount of personal information available on the internet.

Rather than deleting the posts by Trotts, they shut the thread down and LEAVE the posts intact?! The logical, at least IMO, thing to have done would have been to delete any personal info obtained and posted...and allow the discussion to continue. Heck, there was even a news article posted. Some very useful information, discussion and opinions

Meanwhile, idiotic posts and personal attacks go on unabated.

I hope in the future more constructive moderating can can be made without this illogical rabble.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nine3Probie View Post
    ...no, not really. But hey, why let logic get in the way?

So the WebTeam shows up and closes down this thread from BLSBoy on MySpace accounts, and what was reasonably civil discussion than most around here regarding the amount of personal information available on the internet.

Rather than deleting the posts by Trotts, they shut the thread down and LEAVE the posts intact?! The logical, at least IMO, thing to have done would have been to delete any personal info obtained and posted...and allow the discussion to continue. Heck, there was even a news article posted. Some very useful information, discussion and opinions

Meanwhile, idiotic posts and personal attacks go on unabated.

I hope in the future more constructive moderating can can be made without this illogical rabble.

The only personal info I posted was available in her public profile on FH.com. The point of my post was to show that people post a great deal of information about themselves on the internet without even giving it a second thought. Just because a web site allows you to put your info out there doesn't make it a good idea.

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    The only personal info I posted was available in her public profile on FH.com. The point of my post was to show that people post a great deal of information about themselves on the internet without even giving it a second thought.
    Oddly enough, I agree with you. However, the WebTeam...in it's Finite wisdom...posted this as their explanation...

It is not our policy to assist viewers and/or subscribers with obtaining one's personal information, or other information, be it on MySpace, a blog, or a website, to include Firehouse.com and/or our other Cygnus sites.

For those of you who have privately contacted us inquiring about contacting another viewer, outside of Firehouse.com, we do not, and will not do this.

Considering how this attempt to gain personal information, that is not ours to distribute, and the forum guidelines, we are closing this thread.
    Interesting that their policy is NOT to assist, and yet THEY maintain a MySpace page...which (as of this writing) has 6411 "friends." By having this MySpace, are they not providing some form of "assistance" that will allow others to gain even more personal information on members? Not to mention the thread ABOUT the MySpace page, wherein members posted links to their own pages.

Also...they missed the point of the thread. If they found your (Trotts) posts to be out of line (using whatever bizzaro logic they used to close the thread), they should have culled the posts, rather than lock it all down and leaving the information intact. It could have turned out to be quite an educational discussion.

Hypocrits.

I'm still trying to determine what personal information as being given out or requested in that thread? The stuff that rotting trotter posted was simply the FH.com profile information for that individual.

Once again, the Webteam here at FH.com forums proves that they are still just as useless as they were yesterday and the day before.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Administrator

The thread did have merit, however there were some questionable actions that we were made aware of, not all of which are posted on the forums, along with users using the system as it is intended, that gave us reason to close the thread.

The FH.com MySpace was created by a former employee and we currently do not monitor it as much as we would like. Regardless, we do not condone the distribution of personal information, as indicated in the guidelines.

Whether we close the thread, remove certain posts, or delete the whole thread there will most likely be a number of you offended by one of these choices. The thoughts posted by BLSboy are worth discussion, but as stated at the beginning, some of you were crossing lines outside of the forums and involving us in your actions. For that reason we closed the thread yet let the constructiive information stand.

Webteam..

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    Whether we close the thread, remove certain posts, or delete the whole thread there will most likely be a number of you offended by one of these choices. The thoughts posted by BLSboy are worth discussion, but as stated at the beginning, some of you were crossing lines outside of the forums and involving us in your actions. For that reason we closed the thread yet let the constructiive information stand.
    I wouldn't classify my feelings as "being offended." It actually takes quite alot to offend me. I would say that I'm mystified...astounded...puzzle d...etc.

At this time, no posts were removed from the thread. Therefore, ALL the posts contained "constructive information," using the logic presented in the explanation above. So...if the entire thread was constructive...why close it?

Some were crossing the lines OUTSIDE the forums, and involving the WT. Why close the thread?

That explanation made no sense at all. Sounds like something a politician would say to answer but not really answer.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by webteam View Post
    The thread did have merit, however there were some questionable actions that we were made aware of, not all of which are posted on the forums, along with users using the system as it is intended, that gave us reason to close the thread.

The FH.com MySpace was created by a former employee and we currently do not monitor it as much as we would like. Regardless, we do not condone the distribution of personal information, as indicated in the guidelines.

Webteam..
    Does that mean that we can start another thread, continuing the discussion we were engaging in earlier?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Does that mean that we can start another thread, continuing the discussion we were engaging in earlier?
    Why not?! The WT has made their monthly quota of appearances and "actions" on the forum. We're good until the end of October!

MembersZone Subscriber

Drama drama drama.

C'mon guys, it's just an Internet discussion forum.

Logic and common sense were never mentioned in the User Agreement.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Drama drama drama.

C'mon guys, it's just an Internet discussion forum.

Logic and common sense were never mentioned in the User Agreement.
    DING DING DING!!! We have ourselves a winner!!! Somebody give hoser a prize!!

EDIT: just thought i would add this picture too...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by res54cuecaptain; 09-29-2007 at 12:35 AM.
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Thread Information